Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects With Dream Rig

I just bought the HX Effects, but currently have the POD HD500x and DT25 half stack. Being the versatility obsessed tone snob that I am, I now find myself in a conundrum...

Adding the higher quality (DSP) effects to the pure tube tone of the DT25 is my goal. However, this means I will lose the full control over the amp that the Pod provides. Just by changing channels on the POD, I can easily switch to any of the 4 amp selections of the DT25 including all my dialed in EQ settings.

I want to know if there is a way to use both the POD and the HX Effects together. This would only make sense if I can eliminate most or all of the digital processing from the POD. In other words, I would want a true analog bypass through the POD, but still be able to use it to control the DT25 via the L6 Link. A bonus would be finding a way to use the expression pedal of the POD to control the HX Effects.

This might be a pipe dream, but I'm willing to bet I'm not the only Line6 junkie that is going to have this problem.

-Adam

The first way that comes to mind would be to put the HX in the effects loop of the POD. To control the HX use a MIDI cable from the POD to the HX, not sure how in depth this could be but worth a try if you have a MIDI cable or 2 around. I do a very simple setup with my Korg SDD-3000 pedal in the effect loop of the POD and use one MIDI cable from the POD to the SDD. All it does is change program patches when I change on the POD the SDD follows. 

Hope this helps somewhat. 

Jd

• 2 months later...

I have the hd500x and the DT25 also.  I've been playing around with the hx effects with both.   First of all, you can put your hx effects in the chain with your dt25 in the 4cm and it will work great.  You can even connect a midi cable from the hxfx to the dt25 to control everything as your specified.   If you are heart set on using the tubes and cabinet settings on the DT25, I don't think I would even connect up the hd500x.   But the crazy thing is you can.....  connect your hxfx with your hd500x using the 4cm  and use your line6 link to your dt25.

I have been creating patches for 4cm on the hxfx and the hd500x and it sounds fantastic.  I put the extra send/return from the hxfx back to the hd500x return so that I can utilize the amazing stereo effects, and I can't believe how it sounds with headphones.  I haven routed the hd500x to multiple amps yet for stereo effects, but I plan to when I get some time.  I'm envisioning doing some wet/dry/wet stuff with these tools.  Here is my routing plan for the hxfx and hd500x for 5/6 cable method.

Guitar -> input on hxfx

put mono effects like compressors and eq and drivers here on the hx effects.

put effects send/receive block in the hxfx

route the l/mono send output to the guitar in of the hd500x

place any other pre-amplifier effects you might want on the hd500x think volume pedal limiter etc. (How about a dual amp setup now that you don't have the DSP limits!)

put a the effects loop block after the mixer on the hd500x

route send mono or TRS splitter from the hd500x send back to the return left/right on the hxfx

Now put your awesome delays and reverbs in the chain after the send/recieve block on the hxfx

route your left/right output from the hxfx to the return of the hd500x if you want (not necessary if you are going to take outputs from hxfx directly to frfr amps)

If you do, you can use headphones on your hd500x, route outputs to dt25 with or without l6link or other amps using the outputs.  The possibilities are unlimited here and lots of crazy things you can try.

Now, imagine that you put a impulse response block after the return in your hxfx. I haven't tried that yet, but that promises really amazing possibilities.

I haven't tried controlling the hd500x from the hxfx or the reverse using midi yet.  But that is on the horizon also.

Bob