Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Adjusting Dual Amps

ts14064shred

First of all, thank you MEAMBOBBO and PDXGUITARFREAK, for your generous contributions on the HD500, you guys are incredible. I've been playing for 40 years, and own/have owned more tube amps or digital rack/pedal stuff than anyone should be allowed to (that now just records in their bedroom on the weekends), and am having a blast with my HD500X EVH tones, Floyd tones, etc. Man this thing is fun in stereo! Anyway, what is the best method for dialing in 2 amps on the same preset. If I dial them in separately for their best individual sounds, it's not necessarily the best mix. So I end up just being tweek boy, hoping for the best combined tone. I know I should obviously start with a tone in my head, but do any of you super users have a method I can employ, rather than just tweeking and changing amps and random perimeters, hoping to nail a killer combination? (I am using the HD for both the preamp and amp tones, direct).    

I'm not a super user like the others mentioned, but if I set up a dual amp patch, I'll get the basic tone I want with one amp/cab/mic, mimic the amp settings for the second, and change the cab/mic option to find the complimentary tone (this usually means finding more body). Once the two work together nicely, I'll begin fine tuning and addressing the tonal nuances.

Look at this for some ideas (X3 ideas apply here too).

One technique I like is to mix two models of the same amp, just mic them differently (on axis vs. off axis, condenser vs. ribbon). Pan both to the center. A lot of studio engineers do this with when recording real amps.

Another technique is to find two amps that contrast. Dirty vs. clean, bassy vs. mid rangey. Pan these hard to the L & R. Also try putting a very short 100% wet delay on one side. This will make the sound get to one ear a little later than the other and gives you better stereo separation. Combos I like: AC30 & Plexi, AC30 & JCM800, Dual Rectifier & Peavey.