Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Right for Rhythm, Left for Lead

SneakyNieky

After having issues with being heard during live shows I recently decided to program my patches so that my rhythm sound is coming out the right channel and my lead sound is coming out the left channel of my Helix. Maybe this is already a very well-known approach for many of you on this forum but after a quick search I couldn’t find anything about it. So hopefully this helps people who haven’t figured this out yet. And maybe some you have some ideas of how to do this differently, easier or better.

How I do it:

Amp and preamp effects on path 1

Path 1 going out to path 2

Split path 2A and 2B with a “Split A/Bâ€-block

Assign ‘Route To’ to a footswitch. And call it LEAD or BOOST or GUITAR GOD or something :-)

Set Min Value= A100

Set Max Value= B100

Pan output of path 2A to Right 100

Pan output of path 2B to Left 100

(Optional) Bypass assign any pre amp effects for your lead tone (comp; boost; overdrive) to the same footswitch controlling the Split block

(Optional) Place any post amp effects for your lead tone (delay; reverb; eq; boost) on path 2B

(Optional) Controller assign extra drive on the amp to the same footswitch controlling the Split block

Reasons why:

- Many sound guys like compressors. A patch with only a volume boost won’t cut it. It will be cancelled out by the compressor.

- During sound check the sound guy can set the lead tone differently: Higher volume for starters; Mix in the middle instead of to the side; Different eq; Etc.

- Sound guy can set and forget. During the gig he doesn’t have to pay attention to when you’re solo is coming up.

- Your solos will always be heard very clearly when kicking the footswitch.

Reasons why not do:

- You like your wide stereo dual parallel amp wet/dry signal path. You’ll have to sacrifice stereo.

- You don’t like sound guys. They’ll all wanna be your best friend from now on.

- Your solos will be heard very clearly. Yes always. By everybody. So you really have to start practicing now ;-)

This method is without using Snapshots. Just simple mono tone patches.

Now I have a patch for every music category or genre, like: funk, pop, classic rock, high gain, etc.

For every genre I can switch between Rhythm tone on Right and a matching Lead tone on Left.

Hopefully this helps.

And if you have any ideas, thoughts, comments ….

Gee...and just to think I'm able to get all of those positive attributes on my rhythm and lead sounds being heard clearly without all the mess and permutations of separating them onto different channels and only having to have my FOH channel gain staged one time across any of my presets!!!!  I must have a very special version of the Helix indeed!!!!  :o

Gee...and just to think I'm able to get all of those positive attributes on my rhythm and lead sounds being heard clearly without all the mess and permutations of separating them onto different channels and only having to have my FOH channel gain staged one time across any of my presets!!!! I must have a very special version of the Helix indeed!!!! :o

And you COULD wrap your guitar cable around your neck 3 times, so it won't get pulled out if you step on it onstage... you'll knock yourself over backwards and pass out, but the show goes on! 😂

Some folks hafta take the scenic route...

Interesting approach. I must confess like other posters here I have never found the need to have separate channels on the mixer for rhythm and lead. But you asked about some alternative suggestions on how to go about this so here goes. Was wondering if it might not be possible to use one or even two sends set right before the output block set when activated to route all the output to the sends instead of the Output block, (or just assign the 'Level' parameter on the Output block to go to -120db when you stomp the "lead" footswitch or snapshot so there is no sound out other than the Send(s)). You would assign the sends to activate when you hit your "lead" snapshot or stomp. If that works it should allow you to preserve your stereo signal path, as well as perhaps simplify your current panning requirements.

In short, leverage the Send block(s).