Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 Updater crashing with hx effects attached

spaceship2

Hey all

I just got the hx effects today and am trying to update it to 2.5. I have a macbook pro running 10.9.5. I downloaded the most recent Line 6 Updater from https://line6.com/software/?submit=Show&name=Line+6+Updater. I am having problems getting my HX effects updated. I plugged the included cord in to my computer and the hx effects. I can start the updater when the hx effects is powered off. I, of course, don't see the device in the "Select device to update" list after signing in. Once I turn the hx effects on, the updater crashes with the error "Line 6 Updater quit unexpectedly." I have tried different USB ports on my computer and have restarted once. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Hey all

I just got the hx effects today and am trying to update it to 2.5. I have a macbook pro running 10.9.5. I downloaded the most recent Line 6 Updater from https://line6.com/software/?submit=Show&name=Line+6+Updater. I am having problems getting my HX effects updated. I plugged the included cord in to my computer and the hx effects. I can start the updater when the hx effects is powered off. I, of course, don't see the device in the "Select device to update" list after signing in. Once I turn the hx effects on, the updater crashes with the error "Line 6 Updater quit unexpectedly." I have tried different USB ports on my computer and have restarted once. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

I am not familiar with the update routine for the HX Effects as I don't have one (yet). Here are a couple of suggestions though if the process is anything like updating a Helix. Connect via USB and start the HX Effects before starting the Updater. As you observed the Updater will not be able to see the HX Effects otherwise and you won't even be able to begin the process. Try every USB port on your computer until hopefully one of them works without crashing the Updater. Make sure you don't have anything else unnecessary hooked to the USB ports for the duration of your testing. If the crashes continue, reboot your computer and consider uninstalling the updater and then reinstalling. Make sure you have the correct version of the Updater, you may even want to download it again to make sure it is not corrupted somehow. If that does not work try to find another computer to do the update with. At least on the Helix these kinds of issues were often related to specific USB ports not working properly with the Helix or sometimes specific computers or versions of the OS. And of course there is always Line6 support who can usually lend a hand. Good luck!

Downloaded the drivers , the updater and when I open the software there's nothing there. windows 10 / Also my HX Effects unit stopped booting up properly. Stuck on the opening window , will not advance to previous preset page when shut down. Looks like it's going back to sweetwater for new unit. Hopefully just 1 time deal. Love the sounds and functions in the unit though. I really wanted this unit for it's midi controller function ability along with the sounds on board. I will get new unit and carry on with learning and growing with this new awesome equipment.

Looks like installing the HX Edit application fixed the problem. Not sure why though.

If it works anything like the Helix and you were on a Windows PC it may be because installing the latest HX Edit package by default also installs the latest Windows driver for the HX Effects. This is assuming the update procedure for the HX Effects is similar to that of the the Helix. Good chance it is as they have been attempting to unify the codeline and update process for the entire HX family of devices.

The best practice for an upgrade is, after backing up, to always download and install the version of HX Edit that matches the version of the firmware you will be upgrading to. The HX Edit download when installed will, by default, unpack the HX Editor, Updater, and if you are on Windows, the driver that matches the target firmware version. Downloading just the Updater and updating the firmware is usually a bad plan and will usually leave you with mismatched versions of the Editor and firmware as well as sometimes an old driver version(if you are on Windows). This can definitely cause all kinds of problems with everything from firmware updates, Editor backups, crashes, effects from the new firmware that will not be available in your old Editor version, and overall unpredictable behavior on the Editor. Easy to avoid all that by downloading/installing the correct version of the HX Edit package.