Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HELIX DI LEVEL?

jrrjr68

I'm not sure what you mean by DI track... You mean the dry track coming from USB 7? Or do mean the audio coming in over USB 1/2?

I am referring to the DI track {dry signal} from Helix, to PC.

I armed two other USB tracks, and a 3rd for DI in my DAW. I can control levels on the outputs of the USB tracks which are set to Multi from the Helix.. however the 3rd track [ DI ] track level in my DAW is way too loud and sounds like garbage.

I have scoured the manuals, and Youtube, and looked and re-looked for a way to control this signal level for DI but it seems to not exist

I am referring to the DI track {dry signal} from Helix, to PC.

I armed two other USB tracks, and a 3rd for DI in my DAW. I can control levels on the outputs of the USB tracks which are set to Multi from the Helix.. however the 3rd track [ DI ] track level in my DAW is way too loud and sounds like garbage.

I have scoured the manuals, and Youtube, and looked and re-looked for a way to control this signal level but it seems to not exist

So what do you have the inputs of those tracks set to in your DAW?

they are set to Multi > 0 db   Center panned 

I mean what USB inputs are your tracks set to? Typically, if I'm recording via USB to Reaper, I would set the input of the wet stereo guitar track to Input 1 + Input 2 and the dry track to Input 7.

• Upvote 1

The left signal is at -18, Stereo signal is at -18

DI signal is -6

Got you.. my tracks are (in my DAW IE~Sonar Pro

Mono > Helix 1:

Stereo > Helix 1,2 [stereo]

DI > 7

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IeQOLJbTU0OS18Qa55ksaM7719T0hPJc/view?usp=sharing

Typically, the dry track should be at a lower level than the wet tracks, but if your pickups are very hot, I guess it could be possible that it's the other way around. Does your bass have active pickups? The dry level from USB 7 is basically the raw signal coming in from the input. If your pickups are really hot, maybe you should try using the Aux In (if you have the Floor or Rack).

• Upvote 1

Typically, the dry track should be at a lower level than the wet tracks, but if your pickups are very hot, I guess it could be possible that it's the other way around. Does your bass have active pickups? The dry level from USB 7 is basically the raw signal coming in from the input. If your pickups are really hot, maybe you should try using the Aux In (if you have the Floor or Rack).

Yes they are active.. but all of mine are on my guitars. I will try that AUX suggestion for the sake of eliminating the doubt, however I have recorded this bass before the same way.

Only difference I can tell is 2.30 

And I agree.. it is usually lower signal.. in my experience, and on all the vids I've watched. 

It's got me stumped

Aux inputs seemed to teeter-totter the signal in the right direction.. DI is lower now. 

I'll give this a shot I appreciate your patience and help. 

Kinda baffled why things have changed.

New battery? lol

It could be a battery, actually. The level coming from active pickups varies a lot. Like I said earlier, the dry track is just mirroring the actual level at input you have it set to. So if it's coming in over USB, it's just a hot signal...

• Upvote 1

that's the weird part is all three tracks are via USB.. in theory they should be the same at least, but more volume on the "amplified" tracks.
I'm not sure I can record via my interface and Helix at the same time because they both use ASIO driver... otherwise I'd send balance "amped" signals to interface and DI via usb. Tricky 

No I can't it's one or the other.. :/ 

• 1 year later...

hi jrrjr68,

had the same problem!

I use passive DiMarzio Liquifire and Crunchlab pickups, so high output.

Try going to Global Settings -> and turn ON "Guitar In Pad" in the Ins/Outs Tab.

It even says it in the manual (around page54).

Let me know if this worked for you too! ;)

have a nice day..