Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is there a global setting like on the HD500 for running into power amp?

naylor_novelis

I like to have all my patches in "studio direct" mode on the HD500 then change it to "stack power amp" to run them live through a Rocktron Velocity. Is there the same kind of global setting on the Helix that lets me remove the cab sim on all the patches globally with the touch of a button or do I need to create banks for live and banks for the studio?

Thanks in advance!

Ah that's a shame. Looks like I'll have to have half the patches for studio use and half for live use then. Not sure why this feature would be on an older unit but not the new 'flagship'

You don't want those old "output modes" anyway... they're nothing more than applied EQ curves that are a "best guess" based on the general type of set-up... head/cab, combo, etc...guessing sucks, and the results are hardly universal.

Besides, those modes didn't enable or disable anything in your signal chain anyway...you still had to choose whether or not you were running full amp sims, or the preamp only models with no cabs or mics. With Helix it's one less thing to worry about.

I'd say most of us end up with different sets of patches for different environments...even those who run full FRFR rigs, without a "real" amp anywhere in sight. Large volume differences alone make it almost impossible to use the same patch at both living room and stage volume, no matter what kind of speaker it's belching out of.

Ah that's a shame. Looks like I'll have to have half the patches for studio use and half for live use then. Not sure why this feature would be on an older unit but not the new 'flagship'

Because it seemed like those settings confused more people than they helped... There were so many times when people would post to the forums asking why they're HD500 sounded horrible and it turned out it was because they were in the wrong output mode. Generally, if you're using a multi-FX in vastly different setups, it's best to create presets for each scenario anyway. The output modes kind of were a compromise from the start.

I have a feeling once you see how Helix can handle sends and outputs, you won't want that feature anymore.

I've used two different methods, bypassing the cab models and also running a send in between my amp model and my cab output (so the PA sees my cab-modeled version but my onstage rig sees just the preamp part and sends it to power amp and cab).

It's infinitely better, in my opinion, and gives you so much more flexibility to have a thoroughly consistent sound through the FOH while being able to tweak what you have on stage to make it sound just right for performance.

Good luck!

Tripper

+1 routing is so much more capable on the helix. After some practice, you’ll likely be able to set up a single patch that routes separate individually EQ’ed signals to the PA, your guitar amp, and your monitor / ears.

Pod HD had the limitation of amp/can being a single block no matter what. Helix can separate them. You’ll need to do this to run a proper signal to your amp and the PA simultaneously.

I gig 99% of the time with just my helix, no amp. I run my guitar and vocals through it. Path 1A/B is for guitar, 2A for synth stuff or extra guitar effects, and Path 2B is just for vocals. I send guitar and vocals to FOH separately usings the sends, then add any additional EQ/effects I want for my in-ears which are fed by the XLR/multi outs. The flexibility of the helix is just wonderful.