Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tremelo - JTV-69 vs. Variax Standard

I've been playing a JTV-69 for the past few years and have the JTV tremelo dialed in to the point where it's smooth, the guitar stays in tune, and works well for the type of music we play.

That said, I've been eyeballing the new Limited Edition Variax Standard in the cool Onyx clearcoat...gorgeous guitar. The Standard uses a more typical type of tremelo vs. the dual floating point James Tyler trem - just wondering if anyone has any experience with the trem on the Standards and can provide some pros/cons of it versus the James Tyler trem.

Thanks!

I have both, and find the JTV much better. There's a lot of play in the tremolo arm of the Standard. you can correct it for a while by wrapping the threads in plumber tape. But you have to keep replacing the tape. 

Thanks for the insight....that was one of my fears. Sounds like we need some new Limited Edition James Tyler versions in a few new color options...onyx black to start!

• 3 weeks later...

I have both, and find the JTV much better. There's a lot of play in the tremolo arm of the Standard. you can correct it for a while by wrapping the threads in plumber tape. But you have to keep replacing the tape. 

some may not be aware there is a solution for a screw in Tremolo bar that is "too wobbly" 

This solution also works on the Variax Standard 

Trem-Arm Tension Spring

http://guitartechnicalservices.co.uk/acatalog/2013_of_Archive.html

BluTac-Spring.jpg

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Bridges_and_Tailpieces/Bridges_and_Tailpieces_for_Electric_Guitar/Tremolo_Parts/Trem_Arm_Tension_Spring.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2018-02-gp&gclid=Cj0KCQiAq6_UBRCEARIsAHyrgUwr1ia428afcfc4mH_Rsx8NZqqf0Dq8wnKh63dlEySX2wSM-zGGKjcaArLjEALw_wcB

Don't think this works on Variax Standard because the tremolo bar hole goes all the way through the block. The spring just falls out the other end of the block.

Its possible a sheet metal screw could be put into the bottom of the block to provide a stop for the spring. But the spacing between the end of the bar and the stop in the block would have to be right for the length of the spring.

Tape works pretty well, but need to be replaced fairly often.