Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Models Definitive Cheat Sheet - All model names with descriptions

hefonthefjords

Hey everyone!

I was sure I saw someone on here asking for something like this and realised that such a thing didn't exist so I've gone and made one.
This is a printable PDF cheat sheet that has all the blocks in Helix arranged by type with descriptions of what they are modelled on.

I've included all the stuff that will supposedly be in the 2.50 update but obviously I'll have to change/update it when that comes out for 100% accuracy. Let me know if I've made any balls-ups and I'll fix them.
I've also noted which update things were added to Helix by because I thought it was interesting to see just how much stuff has been added to Helix through updates so far - spoiler: it's a LOT of stuff.

Cheers,

Hef.

06/2/18 - attached v2 file.

Helix 2.50 Definitive Cheat Sheet v2.pdf

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 11

Hey, THANKS!!
I just noticed you left out the HX reverse and dual delays.
Those are the ones I noticed so far.
I was just reading it and when I didn't find the reverse delay, I thought "What?, haven't I used the reverse delay already on one or two presets?"
So I went and checked :-)

• Upvote 1

Hey, THANKS!!

I just noticed you left out the HX reverse and dual delays.

Those are the ones I noticed so far.

I was just reading it and when I didn't find the reverse delay, I thought "What?, haven't I used the reverse delay already on one or two presets?"

So I went and checked :-)

Oh aye, will check that out this evening and update it. Cheers.

Haven't looked at it, but if it's more recent or more complete than the Helix Help site, you should pass that info on to him.

https://helixhelp.com/

It's kind of a different thing, very similar to the model and effect list in the L6 manual but up to date and in a two page format. That page seems useful though and i will have to read through it later. Cheer for the link.

Something I have never found any info about is the mic preamp in preamp section.. missing from your amazing pdf as well. Does anybody have any info on what it's modelled after?

Well spotted. I'm sure I've seen mention of what it was modelled from before but I can't for the life of me remember what was said about it. I will do some digging on that later tonight.

Hey everyone!

I was sure I saw someone on here asking for something like this and realised that such a thing didn't exist so I've gone and made one.

This is a printable PDF cheat sheet that has all the blocks in Helix arranged by type with descriptions of what they are modelled on.

I've included all the stuff that will supposedly be in the 2.50 update but obviously I'll have to change/update it when that comes out for 100% accuracy. Let me know if I've made any balls-ups and I'll fix them.

I've also noted which update things were added to Helix by because I thought it was interesting to see just how much stuff has been added to Helix through updates so far - spoiler: it's a LOT of stuff.

Cheers,

Hef.

Nice pdf - I wonder where you got the "inspiration" for this ;-)

Something I have never found any info about is the mic preamp in preamp section.. missing from your amazing pdf as well. Does anybody have any info on what it's modelled after?

OK, so after some digging what I've found out is that in the HD500 the Studio Tube Pre model was a model of the "Requisite Audio Y7" tube preamp;  a hand built tube preamp that is no longer made as Requisite Audio replaced it in their lineup with a preamp called the "PAL - Preamplifier and Limiter". I can't find any direct mention of the model in Helix's manual or anywhere else credible but I would guess that it may well be the same Y7 preamp.

The Y7 is considered the holy grail of studio mic preamps so it has that going for it.

If any of the actual Line 6 guys care to comment I'd certainly be interested to know what preamp it actually is modelled from. :)

I've added it to the PDF in a separate section of it's own since it technically isn't a guitar amp and updated the file in the original post.

Is there anyway you can post up the Excel file for this as well?

Nice work btw.

Made this in Illustrator so no excel file to post I'm afraid. Sorry.

Pardon my ignorance but I can't find the download link in the thread.

sorry, i had a problem with filesizes and it took me a minute to upload it.

it's attached to the first post now.

that pesky checkbox in illustrator when you save a PDF that "maintains illustrator editing capabilities" or whatever nonsense quintuples the output file size.

Hey everyone!

Cheers,

Hef.

06/2/18 - attached v2 file.

Did you purposely password protect it?   I can't even print it... only open it.

What will happen to Legacy effects that duplicate FX already in the Helix?  For example the Tycobrahe Fuzz (Tyoctavia Fuzz in Helix and Octave Fuzz in Legacy).  Will there be two instances?  What will the difference be?  Any clues?

What will happen to Legacy effects that duplicate FX already in the Helix? For example the Tycobrahe Fuzz (Tyoctavia Fuzz in Helix and Octave Fuzz in Legacy). Will there be two instances? What will the difference be? Any clues?

Yes, one in the legacy folder and one HX version. Could sound different and the older likely uses less dsp :)

• Upvote 1

What will happen to Legacy effects that duplicate FX already in the Helix?  For example the Tycobrahe Fuzz (Tyoctavia Fuzz in Helix and Octave Fuzz in Legacy).  Will there be two instances?  What will the difference be?  Any clues?

Yes, one in the legacy folder and one HX version. Could sound different and the older likely uses less dsp :)

Yes, two instances. They should sound different because the underlying modeling technology is different. Which one sounds 'better' is, of course, a subjective opinion.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/5/2018 at 8:02 PM, hefonthefjords said:

Is there any way to make another copy without all the colors?   Just plain text would be far more usable for me.

Just plain old plain old text.  Or text and columns, but black text on dark color backgrounds in small fonts is not very helpful for older people like myself.

Thanks.

On 2/5/2018 at 8:02 PM, hefonthefjords said:

OK, so after some digging what I've found out is that in the HD500 the Studio Tube Pre model was a model of the "Requisite Audio Y7" tube preamp;  a hand built tube preamp that is no longer made as Requisite Audio replaced it in their lineup with a preamp called the "PAL - Preamplifier and Limiter". I can't find any direct mention of the model in Helix's manual or anywhere else credible but I would guess that it may well be the same Y7 preamp.

The Y7 is considered the holy grail of studio mic preamps so it has that going for it.

If any of the actual Line 6 guys care to comment I'd certainly be interested to know what preamp it actually is modelled from. :)

I've added it to the PDF in a separate section of it's own since it technically isn't a guitar amp and updated the file in the original post.

Made this in Illustrator so no excel file to post I'm afraid. Sorry.

• 8 months later...
On 8/26/2020 at 3:11 PM, Lynxpaw said:

Not very good, honestly.

Now, that’s an unexpected reaction. You obviously have no idea how much work would have been involved in putting that resource together. Well, maybe you’ll be able to trawl through the Internet and find all those missing descriptions for yourself.

The “https://helixhelp.com” web site has had a great many commendations from the users on here - right back from it’s inception in 2016.

Good luck finding all that “missing stuff”.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Now, that’s an unexpected reaction. You obviously have no idea how much work would have been involved in putting that resource together. Well, maybe you’ll be able to trawl through the Internet and find all those missing descriptions for yourself.

The “https://helixhelp.com” web site has had a great many commendations from the users on here - right back from it’s inception in 2016.

Good luck finding all that “missing stuff”.

Butthurt? Lol, I don't care how much work went into it, it's crap. 

• Sad 1
  • Downvote 6

5 hours ago, Lynxpaw said:

I don't care how much work went into it, it's crap. 

I guess you are entitled to your opinion...  

I have to admit, it's a bold statement for a 2 week member with 10 posts and no contributions of their own to the community.

This place can get heated at times with differing opinions, but respect is usually retained. Just sayin'...

7 hours ago, codamedia said:

I guess you are entitled to your opinion...  

I have to admit, it's a bold statement for a 2 week member with 10 posts and no contributions of their own to the community.

This place can get heated at times with differing opinions, but respect is usually retained. Just sayin'...

Shut up, Meg.  Being a forum ‘vet’ is about the lamest thing one can lay claim to.  

• Downvote 4

Thanks for the kind words regarding https://helixhelp.com@cgar18 and everyone else.

@Lynxpaw Helix Help has been a passion project of mine that I basically created for myself. It just happened to be picked up by a large part of the Helix community over the years. If its not your cup of tea, that’s ok, there are other options already available and you can always create your own personal guide.

If you’d like to improve the crappiness of Helix Help instead, please feel free to send me some suggestions or a feature list you’d like to see and I’ll see what I can do to make it happen (just use the contact form on the site). Your ideas would likely make Helix Help way better and that is really all I care about. Lets make it awesome and more helpful for the community together!

I hope you all have a great day!

Keep on playing.

• Upvote 5