Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Helix HX Reverbs - Sloppy wet samples

phil_m

I recorded these clips over the weekend. I had seen a video where some guys were comparing the new HX reverbs to some other reverb pedals, and one of the comments I saw a few times was that the HX reverbs weren't as wet. Well, they certainly can get very wet...

With the exception of the Plateaux clip, these are done with the same preset, just switching out the reverb block. I'm using an AC15 sometime clean and sometimes with a Klon block on. The Plateaux clip is a dual amp patch using a Twin on one side and an AC30 on the other. The guitar is an Amer. Dlx. Fat Strat in all clips.

https://soundcloud.com/phil-miller-20/sets/helix-hx-reverbs

• Upvote 2

...one of the comments I saw a few times was that the HX reverbs weren't as wet.

Lol...gotta love those who feel justified in whining about the perceived deficiencies of stuff that no one has yet, based on the content of some demo video.

And I'm not gonna buy that Mustang I've been wanting because the one I pulled up next to at a traffic light yesterday didn't "seem" like it could get off the line very well. Ugh. Logic is awesome... excuse me, I have to go wash my face with my feet. Why? Because I can...

I recorded these clips over the weekend. I had seen a video where some guys were comparing the new HX reverbs to some other reverb pedals, and one of the comments I saw a few times was that the HX reverbs weren't as wet. Well, they certainly can get very wet...

With the exception of the Plateaux clip, these are done with the same preset, just switching out the reverb block. I'm using an AC15 sometime clean and sometimes with a Klon block on. The Plateaux clip is a dual amp patch using a Twin on one side and an AC30 on the other. The guitar is an Amer. Dlx. Fat Strat in all clips.

Thanks for sharing. 

Man, they sounds awesome, and despite the huge wetness (that was indeed a silly complain), they sounds articulated and airy. Exactly what I was hoping for!

The new Reverbs are great, Searchlights and Double Tank are somewhat my faves but everything in there you'd ever want for Ambient stuff.

I will say, in A\B testing myself (and seeing a few videos) they aren't on par with the Strymon BlueSky, however as that unit is a roughly $600 device that only does reverb the HX Effects would be a much more sensible purchase. I'm probably a bit Strymon biased as I use the things so frequently. Actually funny to see the Strymon sitting on the same board as the HX FX on the promotion photo. 

BTW, as a side, anyone know what that chrome colored pedal with the red rotaries is two down from the Big Sky in the HX FX photo from the line 6 site?

The new Reverbs are great, Searchlights and Double Tank are somewhat my faves but everything in there you'd ever want for Ambient stuff.

I will say, in A\B testing myself (and seeing a few videos) they aren't on par with the Strymon BlueSky, however as that unit is a roughly $600 device that only does reverb the HX Effects would be a much more sensible purchase. I'm probably a bit Strymon biased as I use the things so frequently. Actually funny to see the Strymon sitting on the same board as the HX FX on the promotion photo. 

BTW, as a side, anyone know what that chrome colored pedal with the red rotaries is two down from the Big Sky in the HX FX photo from the line 6 site?

Well, the new Line 6 reverbs aren't modeled after any of the reverbs in the BigSky... The main difference I notice I notice with the BigSky verbs is they have more of a hifi quality to them, for lack of a better term. The Line 6 verbs for the most part seem to be more dense in the mids. The BigSky is kind of more airy-sounding all around. I honestly don't know if care that much. I have the BigSky, but will most likely sell it simply because I really didn't use it to anywhere near its potential before, and now, I'll probably use it even less.

Been with Line 6 since the XT and the one thing I always thought the products lacked was really good reverbs. They've been adequate, but not great. I like what I'm hearing now!!!

BTW. I think the chrome pedal is one of these. Some kind of special issue perhaps.

http://chaseblissaudio.com/product-category/pedals/

As I have looked closer, I'm almost positive it's this one.

https://www.themusiczoo.com/products/chase-bliss-tonal-recall-red-knob-mod-analog-delay-effect-pedal

Been with Line 6 since the XT and the one thing I always thought the products lacked was really good reverbs. They've been adequate, but not great. I like what I'm hearing now!!!

BTW. I think the chrome pedal is one of these. Some kind of special issue perhaps.

http://chaseblissaudio.com/product-category/pedals/

It's the Tonal Recall RKM (red knob mod)...

so is the firmware working well?

Crackheads spend less time worrying about their next fix...

Yeah well they don't appreciate a great reverb. And if they did, they would spend all their money on guitar gear. 

I have just found how to win war on drugs...(drops the mic)...

post-2402848-0-65406400-1517851083_thumb.jpg

I have just found how to win war on drugs...(drops the mic)...

Easy, just end the completely misguided war on drugs. It's the only logical choice. 😉

As for the video I will check it when I get home. Something like this will not translate well to phone speakers, and that is all I have atm. But I am happy to see many posters who can view it have such positive responses.

Thanks Phil, I think the WT video was not a fair rep. The BSky settings he used were long dialed in. Your wet example above shows you can get there with specific parameter tweaks IMHO. Until "WE" get it, feel free to post more :D  Thx

Ok, dumb question time.  These are available on the HX Effects, will they also be available on the Helix and Helix LT?

Yes... As soon the 2.5 firmware is released (later this week, hopefully). For the record, these samples were made with a regular Helix running a beta version of the new firmware.

Yes... As soon the 2.5 firmware is released (later this week, hopefully). For the record, these samples were made with a regular Helix running a beta version of the new firmware.

Thanks for the info sir!!  Looking forward to downloading it on my Helix LT!!

is that the 2.30.1a firmware i've been seeing kicking about on youtube then? ;)

2.30.1a is beta 4.

The BigSky vs HX video is great. I sold my Bigsky a year ago, recently I was thinking about investing some dosh to strymon again, but after seeing the capabilities of FW2.50 I believe there is no reason for such thing :) Also note that you can change the character of your reverbs by adding modulations, delays, etc., so helix will be able to stand against the Big Sky. And that was a pretty bold move Line6, thank you!!!

To be fair, although they have a lot of decay on them, they still sound very 'dry' in the sense that the un-effected notes are still very audible and distinct.

For some ambient styles it's interesting to know whether it's possible to turn the mix up to 100% wet and get some subtle swells, almost bowed sounds. What was the mix/wet-dry balance on these samples?

I really hope they add a bloom/reverse sound.  these are great but I hate having to keep a Midiverb 2 on my board just for that silly preset.  Line 6 has even acknowledged the bloom setting in helix literature so i am really hoping that comes along sooner than later.

Less pedals is more good.  Removing a rack mounted to my board would be even better.

To be fair, although they have a lot of decay on them, they still sound very 'dry' in the sense that the un-effected notes are still very audible and distinct.

For some ambient styles it's interesting to know whether it's possible to turn the mix up to 100% wet and get some subtle swells, almost bowed sounds. What was the mix/wet-dry balance on these samples?

The mix control on the new reverbs works just like it does on all the other effects with a mix control on the Helix currently. That's to say, it's really a balance knob that controls the relative level of the dry and wet signals. At 50, you have 100% dry and 100% wet. At 0, you have 100% dry and 0% wet. At 100, you have 0% dry and 100% wet. So, yes, you can have the reverbs be all wet signal if you want.

As far as these samples, I have the mix between something like 45 and 60 depending on the model.

• Upvote 1

The mix control on the new reverbs works just like it does on all the other effects with a mix control on the Helix currently. That's to say, it's really a balance knob that controls the relative level of the dry and wet signals. At 50, you have 100% dry and 100% wet. At 0, you have 100% dry and 0% wet. At 100, you have 0% dry and 100% wet. So, yes, you can have the reverbs be all wet signal if you want.

As far as these samples, I have the mix between something like 45 and 60 depending on the model.

Phil,

As always ... thanks for the clarification as well as sharing.  Now about my next fixxxxxxxxxxxxxx!  Gotta get me some 2.50 F/W love!!

:blink:

• 1 month later...

coming from the BigSky, there's still a lot left to be done about the HX reverbs. 

I have only really used Ganymede and Glitz because everything else sounds a little finicky/taylored to very specific sound.

And in order for me to get the Wet signal balanced with the Dry, i've had to do Mix @ 65% and boost the overall signal +6dB. 

Yup, the effected signal level is way too low on these new reverbs. It's been a problem for me in practice trying to find this ideal level because the total output level is very sensitive around the 50% area. I might drop the reverb into a parallel block with mix at 100% and see if it's more manageable as a 'send' by adjusting the output level.

It would also be great to find out what L6 intend doing about the odd-and-arguably-broken stereo field on the Glitz. It's fine for live where I'm in mono but it means I can't use the same effect in the studio in stereo.

coming from the BigSky, there's still a lot left to be done about the HX reverbs. 

The reverbs I've heard in HX are nice too. But....,

That's "almost" unfair comparing the reverbs because the Big-Sky is really really good.

Now no one needs to defend Line-6 here, just saying and as always YMMV. ; )