Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Minus Booster Possible (Setting Gain below unity)?

DaDaUrka

Hi folks!

I wanted to ask whether the HX Effects units can setup some preset where the gain is below unity.

The usecase for this is a single-channel high gain amp where you want to reduce the gain (like rolling down the volume knob on your guitar ;-) ).

Possible Examples for a stompbox is the Xotic SP Compressor (Gain below unity is possible), or the Heavy Electronics Descend.

Thank in advance

Hi folks!

I wanted to ask whether the HX Effects units can setup some preset where the gain is below unity.

The usecase for this is a single-channel high gain amp where you want to reduce the gain (like rolling down the volume knob on your guitar ;-) ).

Possible Examples for a stompbox is the Xotic SP Compressor (Gain below unity is possible), or the Heavy Electronics Descend.

Thank in advance

There is a "gain" block under the Volume menu that will go negative I believe. Pure gain, no coloration. 

• Upvote 1

I tend to use the gain block with snapshots controlling the amount of gain - set the amp sort of midway gain (so the gain "loss" has some sort of chance to make a difference!!) and then have that gain block adding or subtracting gain as I need.

I also tend to use the Kinky Boost with a very very low amount of gain on it after the gain block to keep the signal nice and full sounding.

I actually don't even think you would have to use a Gain block because I think almost any blocks that has a level control will allow to adjust it below unity gain. And the vast majority of blocks in the Helix have a level parameter.