Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix PC Editor - Search by Patch Name?

Dibubba

A couple of questions about the Helix Editor "Utility*"  [where "Utility" = "OMG, this thing is a God-send!"]

1.  I've looked, but can't find: is there a way to search ALL banks for a specific Patch Name?

2.  Does anyone know if this same "Utility" will work with the Helix FX unit? [Albeit with no functionality for the Amp models, etc..., duh.]

3.  How does one ensure one has the latest update of the Utility?

Thanks, all! Keep Rockin'!! :)

Part of the problem here is that, other than computer storage and access functions, the HX Edit app is just a control surface that accesses the native functionality in the Helix.  Therefore, just as the Helix only has one patch loaded at any given time, that's the way the HX Edit works.  So in essence it really isn't a full fledged application on it's own.  There's been talk that may change in the future, but I haven't heard of any specific plans to do so.  It is possible for anyone with a minimal amount of programming expertise to develop offline functionality that could do things similar to what the OP is talking about since the storage structures for presets and setlists are saved in a common human readable standard format on disk.  But no one to my knowledge has stepped up to develop anything.

The reason the Helix editor does not have a search function is the same reason it does not have a built-in tuner function. It was not implemented.

Oh well. Add it to the list with the parachute, beer cozy, and imported French toenail clippers. I'm still pissed...😉

Part of the problem here is that, other than computer storage and access functions, the HX Edit app is just a control surface that accesses the native functionality in the Helix.  Therefore, just as the Helix only has one patch loaded at any given time, that's the way the HX Edit works.  So in essence it really isn't a full fledged application on it's own.  There's been talk that may change in the future, but I haven't heard of any specific plans to do so.  It is possible for anyone with a minimal amount of programming expertise to develop offline functionality that could do things similar to what the OP is talking about since the storage structures for presets and setlists are saved in a common human readable standard format on disk.  But no one to my knowledge has stepped up to develop anything.

Seems to me that since the library function portion of HX Edit pulls the preset names directly from the Helix it should be no big issue to at least have a search within each list. If the presets names for each setlist are pulled only when that setlist is selected I can see where it might be a while before you got a search that would traverse all setlists. Would certainly be no great technical challenge to pull them all into memory/array or a temp file when HX Edit is started and provide a search function though. Might be a little trickier to keep the search current once you started moving presets around but still fairly basic coding. My guess is other things are just a higher priority right now.

Seems to me that since the library function portion of HX Edit pulls the preset names directly from the Helix it should be no big issue to at least have a search within each list. If the presets names for each setlist are pulled only when that setlist is selected I can see where it might be a while before you got a search that would traverse all setlists. Would certainly be no great technical challenge to pull them all into memory/array or a temp file when HX Edit is started and provide a search function though. Might be a little trickier to keep the search current once you started moving presets around but still fairly basic coding. My guess is other things are just a higher priority right now.

I think one of the trickier aspects of things like this is that the coupling of HXEdit and the Helix is such that you have to account for the fact that at any time the user may interact with the Helix, which then has to be reflected in the HXEdit program.  So this interrupt driven behavior becomes a problem with any long duration processing in HXEdit.  Of course you can define ways of overcoming that behavior such as blanking out the Helix, but I personally think if you're going to go that far you may as well go all the way and define an offline and online modes of operation that would provide for a wider variety of librarian capabilities in offline mode that simply interacts with storage whether that be presets, setlists or even IR management.  But that's a MUCH larger effort but one that could be more broadly useful.

... but I personally think if you're going to go that far you may as well go all the way and define an offline and online modes of operation that would provide for a wider variety of librarian capabilities in offline mode that simply interacts with storage whether that be presets, setlists or even IR management.  But that's a MUCH larger effort but one that could be more broadly useful.

A really good point!

The reason the Helix editor does not have a search function is the same reason it does not have a built-in tuner function. It was not implemented. 

I really wish there was one.  I can't tell you how many times I'm playing right in front of my DAW and needed to use the tuner.  Yeah, I know I can fire one up in Logic Pro or MainStage, but that's not the same thing when you're experimenting with different amp models.

Not complaining, just wishing...

• 6 years later...

Yes, it would be easy! Incredibly easy! So unbelievably easy that it's... well... unbelievable, LOL!

Will someone stand up, brush the Toasted Everything Bagel crumbs off of their Polo shirt, expel gas, sit back down, and actually spend ten minutes working to make it happen?

Probably not. 

Coming from an IT guy. Just sayin. The mantra for the entire industry is: "NEVER. DO. EXTRA." Fixing things makes you look like you're a showoff/sucka**, or you'll increase the expectations generated by THE GREAT PRODUCTIVITY ALGORITHM.

Also, note that no reply to this query has been approved by a moderator since... Hm.... 2018? I expect that this reponse will magically disappear.

But it was still fun typing it, screenshotting it, and preparing it for upload to social media for shizz n giggs in a few weeks.

:-)