Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

John Petrucci Helix & OwnHammer tone tutorial

GuitarjonSDS

Hey guys,

I just finished a tutorial in which I explain how to get some convincing John Petrucci tones with Line 6 Helix (Native) and OwnHammer Recto 2x12/4x12 IR's from the new 6-pack bundles.
These tones can be translated to all the different Helix platforms.

The sounds came out pretty darn good IMHO.....
Let me know what you think!

Enjoy:

• Like 2

I watched your video on youtube and love every sound you get out of helix or helix native.

I bought some Ownhammer IRs and know that it will not sound exactly the same but I am wondering that the sound of my helix is very bass heavy. If I try to recreate your petrucci-sound its way, really WAY, to muddy and fat sounding and I am using a Strat with a Mini-Humbucker.

I use Low and Hi-Cut and try to find help, maybe someone is familiar with this problem? It sounds like a neck pickup in the bridge, especially with high gain. A boost pedal works but GuitarjonSDS uses only the distortion of the amp.

That just goes to show how much of a difference the guitar/pickups have to do with creating tones. Petrucci uses high output active pickups. The OP used Ibanez guitars with high output pickups. 

Petrucci doesnt use active pickups high output yes but not active

And the tone he reffered to in that video was from images and words back then JP used exactly the same pickups as Jon had in the video Dimarzio Tone Zone And Air Norton but some say he used a Steve Special in bridge postion on images and words.

Petrucci doesnt use active pickups high output yes but not active

And the tone he reffered to in that video was from images and words back then JP used exactly the same pickups as Jon had in the video Dimarzio Tone Zone And Air Norton but some say he used a Steve Special in bridge postion on images and words.

Actually he was using a Steve’s special, not a tone zone in the bridge position. The SS is a very scooped PU and that contributes considerably to the broad sound with the middy Mesa amps. The aggressive V in the EQ compensates a little, but does not capture the punch the SS packs.

Used to have a Ibbie JPM and combined with my MB quad I was able to come close to the JP sound.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, 

I bought these IR's because I really wanted to try this out! I'm pretty happy with the results.  So here they are! 

I'm a newb when it comes to DAW's so I couldn't follow GuitarjonSDS's guide exactly. Plus I didn't use a DAW to reamp the tracks, I just used my floor model Helix and HXEdit to create a patch.

All the tones here are uploaded with his settings exactly as they are in the tutorial.   I placed the IR block (2048) after the Amp block.  I didn't cut any high's or lows.  I just loaded them as is.

This was all recorded using my Helix floor into Studio One Pro.  I used my Carvin custom wooded 7 string guitar based on the DC-727 (It's pictured as my avatar).  Pretty sure the pickups are C26N neck / C26T bridge.  This guitar has passive / active settings, I used the pick ups in the passive setting as the active settings created too much background noise / distortion.  The coil splitting / phase switch wasn't used either.  Also everything was recorded with the bridge pick up.   Guitar wood is Koa Body, mahogany neck with a maple top on the body.  

Petrucci Clean:

Pull me under rhythm:

Petrucci Lead:

Petrucci 7 String:

Definite favorite is the 7 String sound.  Sounds like Petrucci's 7 string on Train of Thought.  Fantastic!

Thanks GuitarjonSDS for this tutorial and the Metallica one. I look forward to more of them!

I ended up tweaking  these sounds a bit further to get what I wanted as he suggested in his tutorial.

Thanks 

• Like 1