Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects power supply with 9V jack suggestion

rjlibutti

You know what I'd love to see? A power supply for the HX with a few 9V jacks for other pedals. I just got the HX and I'm loving it, but I want to use my Polytune and a 2 or 3 outboard single pedals (a few minis that can't run on batteries, plus once others are velcro'd down changing batteries is annoying). The wall wart for the HX is huge and has a super short cord. Wouldn't it be great to have a power supply that could supply the HX with some juice to the other pedals so you don't have to run 2 PSUs to your board? I know some pedal power blocks have courtesy outlets, but that's kind of double bulk. Since the HX is designed to be integrated with a pedal board.... Summer NAMM?

Ooh, or if we are in wish list territory what if the HX has two 9v outputs that you could run the kinds of cables the DC bricks etc come with. That would be awesome.

Yeah, love my HX so much already. Was wishing it didn't use that same awful and short power adapter as the Amplifi and Firehawk range, was bummed to see that.

That aside though. This unit is mind blowing.

Yeah. I'm loving the HX. It's basically what I've always wanted. Simplicity of stomps if you want it, but full control of a rig if you want that. I programmed all the patches for my band and tap dancing is pretty much eliminated. I wish you could switch the on/off of the footswitch light for amp channel switching. But really, that's my only 'complaint' so far. So easy to use. Love it.

All of those 9V jacks would need to be isolated, and that would add not an insignificant amount of cost, and, more importantly, it would mean more space. If you think about a power supply like the Strymon Ojai that has five isolated 9V jacks, that's about as small as one of those bricks can be since it has an external power supply. There are some power bricks that can power the HXFX, though. From the FAQ thread:

Can I power HX Effects from my DC pedalboard supply?

Line 6 only officially supports operation with the included DC-3G. However, we have tried HX Effects with a number of third-party pedalboard power supplies and it can work, with the caveats mentioned below:

IMPORTANT NOTE #1: HX Effects has a lot of stuff going on under the hood and its six scribble strips and initial boot process pull more than your average pedal. Hence, we used a DC IN jack with a larger center pin to sort of disincentivize people from throwing whatever at it. The stock DC cables that come with the power supplies listed below will NOT fit. Note that Eventide does the exact same thing with their H9.

IMPORTANT NOTE #2: YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN. Feel free to use this FAQ as a starting point, but Line 6 is not responsible for any damage incurred when using HX Effects with any third-party power supplies. That is, if someone writes "B-b-but Line 6 said I could use [power supply X!]," someone will hopefully refer them to this post where I make it perfectly clear that we only *officially* support our DC-3G.

That said, here's the far-from-comprehensive list and their tested noise specs:

• Strymon Zuma R300—Appears to work fine when doubling up TWO 9V outputs (-140dBr)
  • Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 4x4—Appears to work fine when doubling up TWO 9V outputs (-124dBr)
  • Godlyke Power-All PA-9D—Appears to work fine, but there is a bit of additional noise (-116dBr)
  • Truetone 1 SPOT (NW1CP2-US)—Appears to work fine, but there is additional noise (-103dBr)

All of the Pedal Power line, AFAIK, have an additional standard power jack on them, so that is effectively the same as what you are looking for. Plug the Pedal Power into the wall, plug the Helix or the HX Effects into the power out, and then use the 9v jacks to power your extra pedals. Ta-da.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Zuma and a Voodoo current doubler cable.  I'm stuck, though, as I need to change the gender of the current doubler to male -- with the right male plug for the HX.  I can see that the 'usual' 9v pedal board male plugs do not fit the HX -- so I'll appreciate any help understanding exactly what I need.

All of the Pedal Power line, AFAIK, have an additional standard power jack on them, so that is effectively the same as what you are looking for. Plug the Pedal Power into the wall, plug the Helix or the HX Effects into the power out, and then use the 9v jacks to power your extra pedals. Ta-da.

Not all of them. I have the Pedal Power Digital and it doesn't have one. I think I'm going to make a current doubler cable to run my HX from it. Just bought the HX Effects last night and WOW! So far I'm blown away by everything about it. If it had a model of the Boss CE-2 in it it would be my perfect piece of gear. 

Not all of them. I have the Pedal Power Digital and it doesn't have one. I think I'm going to make a current doubler cable to run my HX from it. Just bought the HX Effects last night and WOW! So far I'm blown away by everything about it. If it had a model of the Boss CE-2 in it it would be my perfect piece of gear. 

I always liked the CE-2 as well but the Chorus, Trinity, and the Plastichorus models all sound great as well as my favorite the new Legacy 'Dimension' chorus. Not a huge fan of the 70's Chorus model but it is modeled after the Boss CE-1.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
On 2/20/2018 at 5:34 PM, dhallowell said:

I have a Zuma and a Voodoo current doubler cable.  I'm stuck, though, as I need to change the gender of the current doubler to male -- with the right male plug for the HX.  I can see that the 'usual' 9v pedal board male plugs do not fit the HX -- so I'll appreciate any help understanding exactly what I need.

I know this is 2 years later, however, I had the same issue, so:

The doubler cable has a female end w/2.1 mm center pin (5.5 mm outer dimension). 
The HX effects is 2.5 center pin (5.5 mm outer)
Most (Voodoo/Strymnon/etc power supplies come with 2.1 mm center pin cables and they won't work

To make it work, you need a cable that will accept both  2.1 -AND- 2.5 mm center pin 5.5 mm outer.  Run that cable from the doubler cable to the HX Effects

Here is an Amazon link for the cable I got

https://www.amazon.com/Power-2-1mm-2-5mm-Angled-Degree/dp/B016BJGZ2U