Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume Fluctuation

specracer986

I've had my Helix floor for over a year. I've always used the 1/4" out to my DXR12. The last two weeks I've been using the XLR out because I found that it eliminates a hum I have when my computer is hooked up to the Helix via USB. 

The problem I now have is the XLR output seems to fluctuate between line and mic levels. Sometimes I'm getting a full signal, then a little while later it's much lower in volume and thinner sounding. I switch back over to the 1/4" out and bam, back up to full signal. I have both 1/4" and XLR outputs set to Line Level. I have Volume Knob Controls set to "Multi".

The only time this will be a problem is when I use both outputs to go to FOH and my DXR.

I know this is probably a hardware problem and I'll have to open a support ticket, but I have a two day out of town gig coming up and I have a lot of prep to do for it and I really can't lose the Helix right now. I'm going to wait till after the 2.5 update and hope it might miraculously clear up. 

• 1 year later...

I had the same problem this weekend, the volume would randomly drop and sound thin then come back. I only used the xlr left out to front of house, I use IEM’s to monitor. I changed cables, wireless setups, went straight in with a cord and nothing helped. Totally killed my night. I did not try a 1/4” out as my snake is xlr only. Did you ever resolve the issue?

I don't have a definitive answer for you. I bought a PC+ and connect to that with the L6 cable and then out of the PC+ to FOH. I never chased down the cause of the problem that I started this thread about and never contacted Line 6 about it. It was only happening with XLR out and it was not a constant occurrence. Since there were ways to work around it, I just let it go. I'm not currently gigging the Helix rig, so ignorance is bliss here.

On 2/7/2018 at 8:01 AM, specracer986 said:

I've had my Helix floor for over a year. I've always used the 1/4" out to my DXR12. The last two weeks I've been using the XLR out because I found that it eliminates a hum I have when my computer is hooked up to the Helix via USB. 

The problem I now have is the XLR output seems to fluctuate between line and mic levels. Sometimes I'm getting a full signal, then a little while later it's much lower in volume and thinner sounding. I switch back over to the 1/4" out and bam, back up to full signal. I have both 1/4" and XLR outputs set to Line Level. I have Volume Knob Controls set to "Multi".

The only time this will be a problem is when I use both outputs to go to FOH and my DXR.

I know this is probably a hardware problem and I'll have to open a support ticket, but I have a two day out of town gig coming up and I have a lot of prep to do for it and I really can't lose the Helix right now. I'm going to wait till after the 2.5 update and hope it might miraculously clear up. 

It sounds like you also have your computer connected via USB. Could this be part of the issue?

When I started this thread my Helix was always connected to my computer via USB for patch tweaking, and to my DXR12 for monitoring. I have no idea if that affected the problem or not. I haven't used the XLR out in a long time. I did have a noise problem with the USB connected, that using XLR out fixed. My current situation has me back to a combo amp. So my Helix rig only gets sporadic use. 

On 5/20/2019 at 8:58 AM, Loudrock77 said:

I had the same problem this weekend, the volume would randomly drop and sound thin then come back. I only used the xlr left out to front of house, I use IEM’s to monitor. I changed cables, wireless setups, went straight in with a cord and nothing helped. Totally killed my night. I did not try a 1/4” out as my snake is xlr only.

Did the house have Phantom Power turned on? The XLR outputs are unpredictable with phantom power (some have issues, others don't, etc... etc...) but thin/attenuated tone is a common theme.  The good news is that Phantom does not hurt the Helix, it just has a negative effect on the output. 

It's a well documented issue/concern in these forums... lots to read already.

No phantom power, I have also noticed the drop occasionally when using a powered speaker at home rehearsing but at that time the volume would just drop slightly. I only have a few presets made right now that I have memorized, I will do a reset and see if it clears up. My band has progressively been going direct so I thought I would try the helix, if I can’t sort it out I will go back to an amp. When it works it sounds great, when it doesn’t it kills the gig. I normally have a pod pro for a backup but my other guitar player has been using it since I switched to the helix. I’ll put an amp and fx rack back in the trailer going forward.

• 5 months later...

Hey everyone I am having this exact issue. Haven’t done extensive testing on 1/4” to see if that solves the problem. Im in a bind because i have a gig this weekend. Was this ever resolved? Im very frustrated by this I don’t have another rig. Would a solution be maybe buying the power cab? And using their digital connection then go to FOH? 

I wouldn't overreact and go jumping into a new rig just before a gig.  I've used my Helix to DXR12 combination for well over 3 years with zero problems.  But I've never used the XLR output to go to the monitor.  I reserve that output for direct to the FOH mixing board which is probably the predominant way most people do it. I can see no advantage in using an XLR output to go to an on stage monitor as that's too short of a run to make any difference and the 1/4" output works fine.

11 hours ago, barmando said:

Hey everyone I am having this exact issue. Haven’t done extensive testing on 1/4” to see if that solves the problem. Im in a bind because i have a gig this weekend. Was this ever resolved? Im very frustrated by this I don’t have another rig. Would a solution be maybe buying the power cab? And using their digital connection then go to FOH? 

Based on what everyone else has said, using 1/4" out may be a solution.  If your stage doesn't have a jack for 1/4", perhaps purchase a DI box and run your 1/4" out into that, then connect the DI box to FOH via XLR.  I agree with @DunedinDragon, don't go change your whole rig, you're likely to run into new problems.  Also, did you read about being connected via USB possibly causing the issue with the XLR out?  Are you connected via USB @barmando?

1 hour ago, DunedinDragon said:

I can see no advantage in using an XLR output to go to an on stage monitor as that's too short of a run to make any difference and the 1/4" output works fine.

The advantage (even id it'd might not apply often) would be that you'd not run into issues with phantom power. In case your monitor supplies PP,  you can at least switch it off yourself whereas you are on the FOH folks mercy when providing them your XLR out (and in case you don't bring your own PP blocker).

2 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

I can see no advantage in using an XLR output to go to an on stage monitor as that's too short of a run to make any difference and the 1/4" output works fine.

45 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

The advantage (even id it'd might not apply often) would be that you'd not run into issues with phantom power. In case your monitor supplies PP,  you can at least switch it off yourself whereas you are on the FOH folks mercy when providing them your XLR out (and in case you don't bring your own PP blocker).

I think you are both saying the same thing... you are both advocating for the use of 1/4" out.  Theoretically the 1/4" could still be run to FOH with the addition of a DI box.  The DI box could also be used with XLR out and would act as a Phantom Power blocker.  Also, to my knowledge the 1/4" out on Helix is balanced, so provided you're using a balanced TRS cable, and the receiver is also balanced, then the length of the run should not impact noise any more than if it were an XLR run.

4 hours ago, chasingMango said:

The DI box could also be used with XLR out and would act as a Phantom Power blocker. 

Nah, DI boxes don't block phantom power. No idea whether there's some providing this extra functionality, but usually they don't. Apart from that, in most cases DI boxes have a 1/4" in, so phantom power doesn't need to be blocked anyway.

Whatever, I'm always using 1/4" for my monitor and XLR for FOH, the latter always running through an additional PP blocker, just in case.

1 hour ago, chasingMango said:

I think you are both saying the same thing... you are both advocating for the use of 1/4" out.  Theoretically the 1/4" could still be run to FOH with the addition of a DI box.  The DI box could also be used with XLR out and would act as a Phantom Power blocker.  Also, to my knowledge the 1/4" out on Helix is balanced, so provided you're using a balanced TRS cable, and the receiver is also balanced, then the length of the run should not impact noise any more than if it were an XLR run.

There's really no reason to run 1/4" to FOH and there's lots of reasons not to.  As was stated previously, if you're concerned about phantom power then attach a phantom power blocker onto your XLR out and be done with .  BTW, the 1/4" output is an unbalanced cable.  However the right choice for going to the FOH is generally XLR because that's what all the other inputs are that are going to the board.  That's generally because they all send at Mic level and there's less chance for room interference especially over long distances, which is what XLR is perfect for.

If you use the XLR out from the Helix to go to the FOH you have the opportunity to disengage the XLR from the Helix big volume knob in your global ins/outs which then allows you to adjust your stage volume using the Helix volume knob without affecting the signal going to the board.  In that case you should probably also set the XLR output to Mic level as it will send at full volume and Mic level then won't overwhelm the board when it comes to gain staging.  That's why all of those facilities are designed in the the Helix settings so you can do such things and remain consistent with the other inputs coming into the mixing board.  Makes you a best friend to all the sound crews you work with