specracer986

Volume Fluctuation

I've had my Helix floor for over a year. I've always used the 1/4" out to my DXR12. The last two weeks I've been using the XLR out because I found that it eliminates a hum I have when my computer is hooked up to the Helix via USB. 

The problem I now have is the XLR output seems to fluctuate between line and mic levels. Sometimes I'm getting a full signal, then a little while later it's much lower in volume and thinner sounding. I switch back over to the 1/4" out and bam, back up to full signal. I have both 1/4" and XLR outputs set to Line Level. I have Volume Knob Controls set to "Multi".

The only time this will be a problem is when I use both outputs to go to FOH and my DXR.

I know this is probably a hardware problem and I'll have to open a support ticket, but I have a two day out of town gig coming up and I have a lot of prep to do for it and I really can't lose the Helix right now. I'm going to wait till after the 2.5 update and hope it might miraculously clear up. 

Before your gig, you may want to do a Reset of your Helix. You could also Reinstall fw 2.30. Be sure to Backup any Custom Presets (and IRs, if any), so they may be Restored.

I had the same problem this weekend, the volume would randomly drop and sound thin then come back. I only used the xlr left out to front of house, I use IEM’s to monitor. I changed cables, wireless setups, went straight in with a cord and nothing helped. Totally killed my night. I did not try a 1/4” out as my snake is xlr only. Did you ever resolve the issue?

I don't have a definitive answer for you. I bought a PC+ and connect to that with the L6 cable and then out of the PC+ to FOH. I never chased down the cause of the problem that I started this thread about and never contacted Line 6 about it. It was only happening with XLR out and it was not a constant occurrence. Since there were ways to work around it, I just let it go. I'm not currently gigging the Helix rig, so ignorance is bliss here.

On 2/7/2018 at 8:01 AM, specracer986 said:

I've had my Helix floor for over a year. I've always used the 1/4" out to my DXR12. The last two weeks I've been using the XLR out because I found that it eliminates a hum I have when my computer is hooked up to the Helix via USB. 

The problem I now have is the XLR output seems to fluctuate between line and mic levels. Sometimes I'm getting a full signal, then a little while later it's much lower in volume and thinner sounding. I switch back over to the 1/4" out and bam, back up to full signal. I have both 1/4" and XLR outputs set to Line Level. I have Volume Knob Controls set to "Multi".

The only time this will be a problem is when I use both outputs to go to FOH and my DXR.

I know this is probably a hardware problem and I'll have to open a support ticket, but I have a two day out of town gig coming up and I have a lot of prep to do for it and I really can't lose the Helix right now. I'm going to wait till after the 2.5 update and hope it might miraculously clear up. 

It sounds like you also have your computer connected via USB. Could this be part of the issue?

When I started this thread my Helix was always connected to my computer via USB for patch tweaking, and to my DXR12 for monitoring. I have no idea if that affected the problem or not. I haven't used the XLR out in a long time. I did have a noise problem with the USB connected, that using XLR out fixed. My current situation has me back to a combo amp. So my Helix rig only gets sporadic use. 

This is kind if a stab in the dark but was any phantom power applied? Maybe even accidentally for a moment?

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 8:58 AM, Loudrock77 said:

I had the same problem this weekend, the volume would randomly drop and sound thin then come back. I only used the xlr left out to front of house, I use IEM’s to monitor. I changed cables, wireless setups, went straight in with a cord and nothing helped. Totally killed my night. I did not try a 1/4” out as my snake is xlr only.

Did the house have Phantom Power turned on? The XLR outputs are unpredictable with phantom power (some have issues, others don't, etc... etc...) but thin/attenuated tone is a common theme.  The good news is that Phantom does not hurt the Helix, it just has a negative effect on the output. 

It's a well documented issue/concern in these forums... lots to read already.

No phantom power, I have also noticed the drop occasionally when using a powered speaker at home rehearsing but at that time the volume would just drop slightly. I only have a few presets made right now that I have memorized, I will do a reset and see if it clears up. My band has progressively been going direct so I thought I would try the helix, if I can’t sort it out I will go back to an amp. When it works it sounds great, when it doesn’t it kills the gig. I normally have a pod pro for a backup but my other guitar player has been using it since I switched to the helix. I’ll put an amp and fx rack back in the trailer going forward.