Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 Updater not working for me

JamzOR

Hey Helix gurus,

I've finally updated my studio PC to Windows 7 :)

Has anyone ever had an issue with getting the Line 6 Updater to run?

After several re-installs and attempts all I ever get is a black window with two unclickable menu options up top (Account and File I think), that sometimes pops up a windows dialog box saying a problem occurred, and that windows is trying to correct it, but it never does. I've tried with Helix plugged in, with it not plugged in, in different USB ports, running normal, running as administrator, turned off firewall in case something was getting blocked...

Can someone point me to a step by step process? I feel like I'm missing something stupid.

I haven't updated Helix since sometime in 2016, if that matters, maybe an old method is necessary?

Thanks in advance for any clues!

The only thing I can think of is the version numbers not matching. I believe the updater and the Helix's firmware have to have compatible version numbers. What those currently are or were I don't know. Maybe compare dates. The last few updates have also had an installer update associated with them.

• Like 1

VG, this is not related to the new firmware update. I've been trying to update to 2.30 for about a week.

You might do a full backup and full factory reset of everything.  Also make sure you're connected directly to one of your computer's USB ports and not through a USB hub.  You probably know this already, but just in case...

I'm having the same problem with the updater.  I installed the installer update and the HX Edit update and now they both crash if the Helix floor unit is connected and on.  If the unit is off, both the installer and HX Edit program run, but as soon as the floor unit turns on, they both crash.  I'm connected directly to the usb port and not through a hub.  What could I be doing wrong?

OK, so how important is it to be running 'same generation' drivers and apps while trying to update Helix?

Could my Helix that's still running version 1.04.3 be causing a problem?

I installed the old (1.04 I think) Helix program, from back before HX Edit existed, and an old version of Helix Updater, trying to get back to how I did an update a couple years ago...still nada. The Updater never finishes loading up, just glitches and sits there...or a windows dialog box pops up to save the day, but doesn't :(

If anyone remembers that far back, I'd love to know the versions combination necessary to get my Helix into the HX Edit realm!

I'm here chomping at the bit to try out the new amps and features that I've missed out on :unsure:

I've uninstalled the Helix drivers, and even tried older versions.

The updater glitches the same way with Helix connected or not.

I wish there was a way to do the update with a flashdrive, like I do on my line 6 mixer...

Do you have a different computer you can try it on? When I first got my LT, i was unable to get it to connect to my main windows computer, I borrowed my mothers laptop and it didn't work either. It wasn't until I dug out my wifes laptop running windows 8 that I was able to get the FW updated.

After updating I was able to connect it to all of my computers.

I've uninstalled the Helix drivers, and even tried older versions.

The updater glitches the same way with Helix connected or not.

I wish there was a way to do the update with a flashdrive, like I do on my line 6 mixer...

Sorry, just to make sure I understand correctly, did you uninstall just the Helix driver or all of the Helix softare? Also what do you mean when you say the Updater "glitches" even without the Helix connected? Is it actually crashing and terminating or something else? 

You'll want to uninstall all the Helix software, not just the driver, and do a fresh download of the HX Edit version you are trying to.get to, and the version of the firmware that matches it, so you can make sure you don't have a corrupt file. Don't download the firmware, driver, or updater separately. Instead download and install the "HX Edit" app and that will unpack the Editor, Updater, and driver. Then you can use the Updater to upgrade your firmware. Btw, if the Updater still glitches after trying all this I would recommend unplugging everything you can but the mouse and keyboard from your PC. Close down any unnecessary programs or processes.

I haven't installed editor yet.

I do have my EMU 1820m installed on the system though... I wonder if that's causing a problem.

I don't intend to use my Helix as an audio interface.

I would suggest unplugging the EMU as a start in addition to my instructions above. Also, high time to install the Editor. Otherwise you have no way to get backups. If you are not concerned about backups I would go straight to the HX Edit 2.51 version. Again, download the app, not the separate firmware, Updater, and driver. The HX Edit 2.51 application will install all that stuff for you. Btw, might be time to try this on a more modern version of Windows if none of the above works. Win 7 is awfully long in the tooth at this point, unsupported by Microsoft, more vulnerable to hacks, and more and more applications don't install properly on it every day. 

LMAO

I just updated my studio rig to Windows 7 from XP purely for the ability to use my newer Line 6 gear, or I'd be using XP for the rest of my life.

If I get everything running on this, it will be my last version of Windows. Windows 8 and 10 are ghastly. I will never ever use either. Microsoft can bite me lol

But, great info. Thanks!

LMAO

I just updated my studio rig to Windows 7 from XP purely for the ability to use my newer Line 6 gear, or I'd be using XP for the rest of my life.

If I get everything running on this, it will be my last version of Windows. Windows 8 and 10 are ghastly. I will never ever use either. Microsoft can bite me lol

But, great info. Thanks!

I know what you mean about Windows versions after 7. If they keep "improving" it at this rate it should be a puddle of crap by the year 2020. However, personally I just don't see an option to upgrading periodically if I want to remain on that OS. Good luck with your upgrade, keep us posted!

I did everything you said, and it looked like it was working as intended.

My Helix was recognized, and drivers were installed successfully. Of course my firmware wasn't at least version 2.20, so I closed edit, and ran the updater.

Same glitched out updater. I tried attaching a pic, if it works you'll see what I'm getting.

I think I'm going to borrow a laptop... Frustrating.

Pic...sideways pic...grrrr lol

Hmm, that is strange. I don't see a the graphic of your Helix with your current firmware version in the initial Updater screen which means it probably did not get recognized or you did not have it plugged in when you took this pic. I don't suppose changing your screen resolution helps with this? Does it glitch like that without even having your Helix plugged in?  If so although I know it is unlikely, you might want to check your video cable and make sure it is not a bit loose. Also, what version of the Updater is showing when you click on the 'About' link on the upper right side of the Updater menu? Make sure it is the same one that was released with whatever version of HX Edit you just installed. You can look it up on the downloads page.

You should probably try every USB port you can if you have not already. I am starting to half suspect a problem with your USB cable. Especially if the screen only does that when the USB is plugged in. It is unlikely but I would try a couple of different USB cables. That has actually worked for a few people even though it was the last thing they suspected of being the problem. It looks like even though the menu text on the Updater is glitched it might get you through the firmware update if you could get it to recognize your Helix.

I think it may be time to either call Line6 and have them walk you through an upgrade or try another computer tainted as you may feel having to use a later version of Windows. ;)  Hopefully it will only be for long enough to upgrade your firmware and then you can move forward using the editor on your own PC(until the next upgrade). And hey, maybe once you get your firmware up to 2.51 the next upgrade will work on your PC. It sounds like the new Editor is not glitching out other than the fact that it won't work with your old firmware.

My final thought is that perhaps because you are still running on such an early version of the firmware(1.04.3) that you need to go through some earlier interim firmware version, for example firmware 1.12,  to get the Updater to even recognize your Helix. Here is the link for HX Edit 1.12 if you want to give it a try or you can download it directly from the download page if the link proves problematic. https://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=7024

Keep in mind that if you decide to try some earlier versions that may eventually allow you to step up ultimately to the 2.51 firmware, that you want to follow the same procedure of downloading the Helix app and letting it install the matching Editor, Updater, and driver for you. The Updater requires the Helix driver on a Windows OS to recognize the Helix. The drivers and Updater have been paired during each firmware release although sometimes the driver has not changed in between firmware releases. The easiest way to maintain that pairing is by downloading and installing them with the Helix app and not trying to download them separately. Don't download the standalone versions of the Updater, driver, or firmware(Flash) files, can't stress that enough. Down that road lies madness. :)  Again I would encourage uninstalling before reinstalling all Helix software in between upgrade attempts. Good luck, this one is a real head-scratcher.

It glitches like that when Helix is plugged in or not.

The USB works well enough for it to recognize Helix and install the driver when I first plug it in.

It also detects that my Helix firmware is not new enough.

I tried a few versions of Edit, starting with the first one, which I think was 1.12

I even tried versions of Helix Application.

That pic was a closeup of the only part of the window that displays anything at all, and the fuzzy looking 'Account About' menu options are not clickable.

I give up until I try again with a borrowed laptop.

Thanks for your help though!

It glitches like that when Helix is plugged in or not.

The USB works well enough for it to recognize Helix and install the driver when I first plug it in.

It also detects that my Helix firmware is not new enough.

I tried a few versions of Edit, starting with the first one, which I think was 1.12

I even tried versions of Helix Application.

That pic was a closeup of the only part of the window that displays anything at all, and the fuzzy looking 'Account About' menu options are not clickable.

I give up until I try again with a borrowed laptop.

Thanks for your help though!

I think I would have opted for using another PC as well. Btw, you don't need to use anything on the menus in the Updater. Just click on that initial graphic of your device with your current firmware version and every other action will be a big button on the screen. Nothing will require you to use your unfortunately unreadable menu options.

• 10 months later...

Hi! Did anyone figure out a solution to this?

I'm having exactly the same problem as the OP - the updater either crashes or opens with a blank black page with nothing on it (apart from two menu items on the top left that don't do anything)

Really hoping to get the updater working!

Thanks

• 3 months later...

This is a long standing issue I've written off as likely not important enough to resolve.  My Line 6 gear is probably too old for the updater (Pod XT Live and Tone Port UX2 being the newest, and a couple others - Bass Pod & Floor Board).  I just check from time to time to see if a resolution or workaround has been identified, and here were are with workaround steps for the Helix, but I've tried this on several systems from WinXP up through Win10 using base versions, upgrading incrementally all the way to the latest drivers and programs as well as to try the same on clean systems installing only the newest available, installing the very minimum with drivers and programs dating back to the same dates as the Updater version(s) and no method has provided more than a black window with and Account menu, About menu, and white text "Select device to update." 

Since the particular version I'm looking at right now is identified through the About menu as, Line 6 Updater 1.16 - using Qt(c) Software under the GNU LGPL version 2.1 (Feb. 1999) license and uses libusb, it may be interesting to explore a bit deeper in Linux (it works as an audio input output device without further intervention, but doesn't have Linux software that can utilize the firmware which makes these devices more than just boxes with extra ports - we love our Line 6 equipment modeling, but it still might be fun to poke around a bit.  I haven't had any issues related to the inability to use the Line 6 Updater aside from the Updater issue itself - everything else from the earliest supported software for each device has functioned properly from RiffWorks, GearBox, Pod Farm, Line 6 Edit, Ableton Live, etc. 

My advice if it's not crucial to update your firmware: don't stress it and check back here from time to time to see if there has been any progress or if the Updater is retired or replaced (of course unless I'm just not finding a resolution) Sometimes it's okay to follow the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" path, especially when just about everything works as well as my Line 6 products has been for years now. Rock on!

• 1 year later...
On 2/10/2021 at 3:25 PM, rastre1 said:

I am not able to update Helix 6 Stomp on MAC book?

Woiuld a Mac book use the Big Sur update? If so, there are issues with Big Sur. Just type Big Sur into the search. Bottom line is, don't use Big Sur if you want to use Line 6 software until they figure stuff out.