Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.50 HAS BEEN RELEASED!

jbuhajla

IMPORTANT: Don't update your firmware to 2.50 until you have used the HX Edit 2.51 editor to make a backup. After you have backed up your Helix in for example HX Edit 2.3, and then downloaded and unpacked the new HX Edit 2.51, you will notice that when you start the Line6 Updater to upgrade your firmware to 2.50 that the instructions will tell you to first do a backup using your new HX Edit 2.51 editor before you update your firmware to 2.50 and use that to do your restore after upgrading your firmware to 2.50. Don't use the backup you made in HX Edit 2.3 and don't upgrade your firmware until you get an HX Edit 2.51 backup. Don't know if this is critical but I try to follow Liine6's upgrade instructions to the letter. I could see folks speeding by these instructions and using their HX Edit 2.3 backup to restore in error or upgrading the firmware before they get a backup from the HX Edit 2.51 editor.

DI, Phil_m, Silverhead if you are out there, is this correct, does the sequence matter as indicated in the firmware release notes?

Should we be using an HX Edit 2.51 backup rather than an HX Edit 2.3 backup, taken before upgrading to the 2.50 firmware, to restore after the update to the 2.50 firmware (per the release notes in the 2.50 firmware)?

I'm tinkering with it all now... what a FEAST!!! 
:wub: 

So far, loving the HX reverbs and legacy mods (still at the middle of the list...).
I'll do a patch with the Double Tank, by the time it fades, everybody should have been able to download the update  :D

IMPORTANT: Don't update your firmware to 2.50 until you have used the HX Edit 2.51 editor to make a backup. After you have backed up your Helix in for example HX Edit 2.3, and then downloaded and unpacked the new HX Edit 2.51, you will notice that when you start the Line6 Updater to upgrade your firmware to 2.50 that the instructions will tell you to first do a backup using your new HX Edit 2.51 editor before you update your firmware to 2.50 and use that to do your restore after upgrading your firmware to 2.50. Don't use the backup you made in HX Edit 2.3 and don't upgrade your firmware until you get an HX Edit 2.51 backup. Don't know if this is critical but I try to follow Liine6's upgrade instructions to the letter. I could see folks speeding by these instructions and using their HX Edit 2.3 backup to restore in error or upgrading the firmware before they get a backup from the HX Edit 2.51 editor.

DI, Phil_m, Silverhead if you are out there, is this correct, does the sequence matter as indicated in the firmware release notes?

Should we be using an HX Edit 2.51 backup rather than an HX Edit 2.3 backup, taken before upgrading to the 2.50 firmware, to restore after the update to the 2.50 firmware (per the release notes in the 2.50 firmware)?

Below are the release instructions that pop up in the Line6 Updater after you hit the "Accept" button for the licensing agreement to upgrade to the 2.50 firmware. To me these clearly indicate that you should be using the 2.51 Editor to backup your Helix before you upgrade your firmware to 2.50. After upgrading to the 2.50 firmware you should be using the HX Edit 2.51 backup, NOT the HX Edit 2.30 backup to do your restore. Is this the case? Looking for confirmation from Line6.

Firmware 2.50 instructions showing in the 1.12 Line6 Updater

Updating Your Helix

1. Download and install the latest version of HX Edit.

2. Open HX Edit and from the File pull-down menu, select “Create Backup...“ Follow the prompts to create a full-state backup of your Helix (setlists, presets, IRs and Global Settings).

3. Using Line 6 Updater, update your Helix's firmware.
  • Upvote 1

^^^^^

Oh yea, if you have a rack and controller, be sure and switch the controller OFF until the update has completed, then turn it on and update the controller software. At least that is how mine worked. 

Then, if you want to backup your new factory settings for banks 1 & 2 (Ver 2.50) nows the time. 

Thanks for the info HO.

• Upvote 1

^^^^^

Oh yea, if you have a rack and controller, be sure and switch the controller OFF until the update has completed, then turn it on and update the controller software. At least that is how mine worked. 

Then, if you want to backup your new factory settings for banks 1 & 2 (Ver 2.50) nows the time. 

Thanks for the info HO.

Yes - turn Helix Control off before updating.  Thanks for the additional info spikey.

Below are the release instructions that pop up in the Line6 Updater after you hit the "Accept" button for the licensing agreement to upgrade to the 2.50 firmware. ....

That's curious. I don't see those instructions after hitting the Accept button. I see what looks like the Line 6 Home page - which I thought was strange and perhaps indicates some glitch on my end.

Can other readers please clarify exactly what they see after hitting the Accept button at the beginning of the Line 6 Updater process?

If you see what Honest Opinion is reporting then certainly you should follow those instructions.

Below are the release instructions that pop up in the Line6 Updater after you hit the "Accept" button for the licensing agreement to upgrade to the 2.50 firmware. To me these clearly indicate that you should be using the 2.51 Editor to backup your Helix before you upgrade your firmware to 2.50. After upgrading to the 2.50 firmware you should be using the HX Edit 2.51 backup, NOT the HX Edit 2.30 backup to do your restore. Is this the case? Looking for confirmation from Line6.

Firmware 2.50 instructions showing in the 1.12 Line6 Updater

Updating Your Helix

1. Download and install the latest version of HX Edit.

2. Open HX Edit and from the File pull-down menu, select “Create Backup...“ Follow the prompts to create a full-state backup of your Helix (setlists, presets, IRs and Global Settings).

3. Using Line 6 Updater, update your Helix's firmware.

This is what I've seen yes, but this message popped up after the installation started, so my backup was already done with the Edit 2.3 and couldn't stop the update at that point...

I then restored the backup from 2.3 and everything went fine. I've all new stuff and my previous globals and preset.

• Upvote 1

You have to love some of the incredibly positive aspects of Line6's unifying the codebase for the HX family(Helix, LT, Native, HX FX). I was able to upgrade my Helix to the latest firmware(2.50) with all the great new stuff that brings and also to download the latest version of Native(1.5) today. It is an embarrassment of riches, just awesome! Btw the new Native version has in my opinion the most important addition they could have made right now  - SNAPSHOTS!  The first thing I did after updating the Helix and Native was to re-import all my presets from the Helix to Native, with their attendant snapshots. You gotta love it! It is really amazing to see all these products upgrade roughly simultaneously and able to exchange data. Fantastic accomplishment!  :)

• Upvote 1

You have to love some of the incredibly positive aspects of Line6's unifying the codebase for the HX family(Helix, LT, Native, HX FX). I was able to upgrade my Helix to the latest firmware(2.50) with all the great new stuff that brings and also to download the latest version of Native(1.5) today. It is an embarrassment of riches, just awesome! Btw the new Native version has in my opinion the most important addition they could have made right now  - SNAPSHOTS!  The first thing I did after updating the Helix and Native was to re-import all my presets from the Helix to Native, with their attendant snapshots. You gotta love it! It is really amazing to see all these products upgrade roughly simultaneously and able to exchange data. Fantastic accomplishment!  :)

How do you use snapshot in a plugin?

Do you use a midipedal board that is hooked up to the computer?

Or the helix floor unit?

How do you use snapshot in a plugin?

Do you use a midipedal board that is hooked up to the computer?

Or the helix floor unit?

Right now I manually select it from the snapshots dropdown in Native. Looks pretty much like the HX Edit interface. The advantage is now you can load up all your Helix snapshots to Native. In the prior version only the active snapshot in a preset was loaded. If you had four snapshots set up in your Helix preset, only one of them loaded to Native.

I did not see anything in the new Native 1.5 release notes about new MIDI implementation so I am not sure if you will be able to select snapshots using MIDI yet. I believe full MIDI implementation is still one of the features yet to come to Native. Of course I have only had the new version for a few hours. Maybe someone else can shed more light on this subject.

I backed up first with 2.30, Installed 2.51, ran updater, followed all the prompts, watched the % graph slowly go to 100%, Helix automatically rebooted and rebuilt presets, GOOD TO GO!

I only had time to play with the new reverbs. I threw a couple in right before rehearsal. They are fantastic!

Can't wait to try the Lonestar model. 

• Upvote 1

Right now I manually select it from the snapshots dropdown in Native. Looks pretty much like the HX Edit interface. The advantage is now you can load up all your Helix snapshots to Native. In the prior version only the active snapshot in a preset was loaded. If you had four snapshots set up in your Helix preset, only one of them loaded to Native.

I did not see anything in the new Native 1.5 release notes about new MIDI implementation so I am not sure if you will be able to select snapshots using MIDI yet. I believe full MIDI implementation is still one of the features yet to come to Native. Of course I have only had the new version for a few hours. Maybe someone else can shed more light on this subject.

The real power of the snapshots for Helix Native will be being able to Automate them. The precision/flexibility will be unmatched, plus you will be able to lessen your "instances" of the plugin.

And don't forget that Variax owners can have Workbench HD running too! During beta testing I had Helix as my audio interface to my DAW (Reaper) running multiple instances of Helix Native using Snaphot-rich presets simultaneously with HX Edit and my JTV-59 with Workbench HD. All worked seamlessly together. Magic.

Ok....So, I've been tinkering with the Reverbs for the last two hours and let me start by saying that I really like them a lot.  However, I've noticed that if you increase the mix you almost completely lose your clarity of notes and your sound gets reduced.  I tried to emulate what someone that was beta testing them did - which was a very wet sound and I couldn't make it more wet without highly diminished quality.  Has anybody else used them yet and found this to be true.  I admit there are quite a few things to tweak and I certainly haven't exhausted everything but just increasing the wetness shouldn't diminish the sound and clarity IMO.  Anybody?

[...] increasing the wetness shouldn't diminish the sound and clarity [...]

This really depends on effect, sensitivity (of user & effect ;)) and setup...

If I use my live setup, for example, it needs really more 'wetness', as a thumb rule.

Just start playing with it (you'll need some 'evaluation time) and find your 'degree(s) of wetness'  ;)

Ok....So, I've been tinkering with the Reverbs for the last two hours and let me start by saying that I really like them a lot. However, I've noticed that if you increase the mix you almost completely lose your clarity of notes and your sound gets reduced. I tried to emulate what someone that was beta testing them did - which was a very wet sound and I couldn't make it more wet without highly diminished quality. Has anybody else used them yet and found this to be true. I admit there are quite a few things to tweak and I certainly haven't exhausted everything but just increasing the wetness shouldn't diminish the sound and clarity IMO. Anybody?

Try putting the reverb in a parallel path, set Mix to 100 and use the Level to control the amount of reverb. This effectively gives you a straight through path to your reverb.

Craig

Thanks, Craig.  I did put it in a parallel path but didn't play around with any of the sliders accept "mix" because I liked the sound of it but wanted it more wet.  On the 2.3 reverbs all I had to do was increase the mix and away I went and everything was fine.  I'll play around with the level and all the other parameters but the "mix" is what controls the amount of reverb (wetness) not the level.  Have you tried the new reverbs yet?

Thanks, Craig. I did put it in a parallel path but didn't play around with any of the sliders accept "mix" because I liked the sound of it but wanted it more wet. On the 2.3 reverbs all I had to do was increase the mix and away I went and everything was fine. I'll play around with the level and all the other parameters but the "mix" is what controls the amount of reverb (wetness) not the level. Have you tried the new reverbs yet?

Yes but if you have a straight through path it is correct to set Mix to full wet and use Level as I said. If you want less dry signal then put a gain block in the dry path.

I've not had a chance to try them yet, it was too late for making noise by the time I did the upgrade last night. I'll have a play tonight.

This is what I've seen yes, but this message popped up after the installation started, so my backup was already done with the Edit 2.3 and couldn't stop the update at that point...

I then restored the backup from 2.3 and everything went fine. I've all new stuff and my previous globals and preset.

same here and my restore from 2.3 went fine also

• Upvote 1

Can other readers please clarify exactly what they see after hitting the Accept button at the beginning of the Line 6 Updater process?

If you see what Honest Opinion is reporting then certainly you should follow those instructions.

Thanks to those who have responded with their experiences. Looks like it doesn't really matter whether you use HX Edit v2.30 or v2.51 to perform the pre-update backup.

Thanks, Craig.  I did put it in a parallel path but didn't play around with any of the sliders accept "mix" because I liked the sound of it but wanted it more wet.  On the 2.3 reverbs all I had to do was increase the mix and away I went and everything was fine.  I'll play around with the level and all the other parameters but the "mix" is what controls the amount of reverb (wetness) not the level.  Have you tried the new reverbs yet?

You have to think of the mix control as at 0% you have 100% dry. Mix at 50% you have 100% dry and 100% wet. Anything past 50% mix you have 100% wet, and decreasing dry. So, you may have to add dB of level to make up for the diminishing dry signal past the 50% mix on the reverb. 

The real power of the snapshots for Helix Native will be being able to Automate them. The precision/flexibility will be unmatched, plus you will be able to lessen your "instances" of the plugin.

I have actually been having problems with automation of Native in Tracktion. Currently using T6 because it is free and a nice well thought out DAW. Even contacted Tracktion directly and was unable to get it working correctly. No help from the forum yet on automation in Tracktion either. Seems to a problem with that specific DAW as it works in others. Maybe it is just a configuration issue but I have been unable to figure it out yet. I have been able to automate other plug-ins in Tracktion with no issue, just not Native. Automation is definitely the way to go for precise changes but being able to switch snapshots via MIDI footswitch would come in handy for me as well.

Free DAW for those who want it:

https://www.tracktion.com/products/t6-daw

I have actually been having problems with automation of Native in Tracktion. Currently using T6 because it is free and a nice well thought out DAW. Even contacted Tracktion directly and was unable to get it working correctly. No help from the forum yet on automation in Tracktion either. Seems to a problem with that specific DAW as it works in others. Maybe it is just a configuration issue but I have been unable to figure it out yet. I have been able to automate other plug-ins in Tracktion with no issue, just not Native. Automation is definitely the way to go for precise changes but being able to switch snapshots via MIDI footswitch would come in handy for me as well.

Free DAW for those who want it:

https://www.tracktion.com/products/t6-daw

Hmm, I am not familiar with that DAW, but I will confirm that HX Native automates just fine in FL Studio 12. I haven't tried the snapshots just yet, but I haven't had any issue with automating any other parameter in it. 

Hope you get it sorted out. 

Hmm, I am not familiar with that DAW, but I will confirm that HX Native automates just fine in FL Studio 12. I haven't tried the snapshots just yet, but I haven't had any issue with automating any other parameter in it. 

Hope you get it sorted out. 

I can confirm that, I was able to get it working in FL Studio as well.

YESSSS  :)  YESSSS :) YESSSS!!! :D

Thank you Line 6, fantastic job. As an ambient guitarist, the new reverbs have made the Helix complete for me. As for the Multi Pass Delay, wow, just WOW! That's a fine tasting cherry on top of a very rich cake. No sleep tonight then ;) :P

...but just increasing the wetness shouldn't diminish the sound and clarity IMO.  Anybody?

Yes it should. It's a mix control. As you increase it, you are losing your dry signal in favor of the wet (reverb) signal. Basically, you are hearing more of just pure reverb, which is generally super muddy. Reverb is, at it's core, so many delays in a short span that you can't distinguish them from each other. Certain reverb tones may be less muddy than others, but generally speaking a pure reverb sound is not going to have much clarity to it.

Certain reverb tones may be less muddy than others, but generally speaking a pure reverb sound is not going to have much clarity to it.

True, but I was hoping this could replace my Strymon Big Sky where you can play single note stuff VERY VERY wet and still hear the clarity of the notes you're picking.  Don't get me wrong....I really like these reverbs but I was expecting/hoping for something much different.