Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

V2.50 installation procedure

silverhead

I did a backup with 2.30 before the update. I didn't do any resets or restores and everything seems to be intact here.

During the update the screen on the Helix became jumbled through about the 2nd half but so far everything seems fine. I've got a lengthy rehearsal this weekend, I'll see how it behaves.

I have the new amps and effects and have played with them. I don't, however, have the "Factory1 32A Space Case"

I did a backup with 2.30 before the update. I didn't do any resets or restores and everything seems to be intact here.

During the update the screen on the Helix became jumbled through about the 2nd half but so far everything seems fine. I've got a lengthy rehearsal this weekend, I'll see how it behaves.

I have the new amps and effects and have played with them. I don't, however, have the "Factory1 32A Space Case"

To get the new factory presets you need to perform the startup sequence to restore stock presets and setlists. See:

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/effects-controllers/helix/helixltfx-reset-procedures-and-troubleshootin-r768

Note that this will overwrite any existing custom setlists with the factory USER1 - USER5 setlists all containing the empty New Preset in all slots. Back up any custom setlists first.

Do you have to do a full reset to get the new factory patches?

Honestly, I'm a big Line 6 fan, but I super wish all this was clearer.

To get the new factory presets you need to perform the startup sequence to restore stock presets and setlists. See:

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/effects-controllers/helix/helixltfx-reset-procedures-and-troubleshootin-r768

Note that this will overwrite any existing custom setlists with the factory USER1 - USER5 setlists all containing the empty New Preset in all slots. Back up any custom setlists first.

My update was painless. I didn't have to do a restore. All of my presets, IR's and settings are fine. I don't see any new presets that use the new amps. Are there any new presets?

I don't get it either...if everything is still intact, what's there to restore?

From silverhead:

"Factory1 32A Space Case showcasing a couple of the new reverbs."

Specracer986, do you see the new Factory preset at 32A that Silverhead mentions? Also are you seeing the 2.51 for the editor and 2.50 for the firmware? If not I wonder if this begs the question that willjrock asked earlier of whether or not you need to a global reset with the footswiches after upgrading, especially if you are NOT going to do a restore via HX Edit. The manual global reset seems to have been a deprecated procedure since 2.30 but maybe you still need to do it if you don't do a restore. And regarding cruisinon2's comment,  I also thought a restore was required, at least in prior versions, to upgrade all the user's presets to the new firmware version. I had kind of assumed that the restore process since the HX Edit 2.3 version also did the global reset automatically that prior to that had to be done manually. The one caveat was that if you left the Factory and Template setlists unchecked you would get the newest Factory and Template presets instead of overwriting them with the ones from your old firmware. I wonder if it is possible that without doing an explicit restore that you have yet to upgrade your user presets to the latest firmware and are also quite possibly not seeing the newest factory presets? In other words, if you have presets from a prior firmware version is it mandatory to do either a restore from HX Edit or a global footswitch reset to get all your presets up to the latest firmware version?

I wonder if it is possible that without doing an explicit restore that you have yet to upgrade your user presets to the latest firmware and are also quite possibly not seeing the newest factory presets? In other words, if you have presets from a prior firmware version is it mandatory to do either a restore from HX Edit or a global footswitch reset to get all your presets up to the latest firmware version?

Well I'm no software expert, but it seems to me that the new firmware is either installed, or it isn't. Don't see how it would be possible for one group of patches to be running old firmware, while others have been upgraded. When I turn it on, it says 2.5...and all the new goodies are present and accounted for, as are all my existing patches and IR's.

Well I'm no software expert, but it seems to me that the new firmware is either installed, or it isn't. Don't see how it would be possible for one group of patches to be running old firmware, while others have been upgraded. When I turn it on, it says 2.5...and all the new goodies are present and accounted for, as are all my existing patches and IR's.

All patches run the same firmware, in this case v2.50 after updating. However, the firmware installation of v2.50 does NOT replace any existing presets/setlists - not even the factory setlists. The new factory setlists are stored in the new firmware but not available until you explicitly perform the startup sequence to restore stock presets and setlists. See:

http://line6.com/sup...bleshootin-r768

Note that this will overwrite any existing custom setlists with the factory USER1 - USER5 setlists all containing the empty New Preset in all slots. So if you've already restored your custom setlists after the update, you will need to restore them again. If you have made any changes to these since the update you will need to back them up again before performing the factory restore.

• Upvote 1

All patches run the same firmware, in this case v2.50 after updating. However, the firmware installation of v2.50 does NOT replace any existing presets/setlists - not even the factory setlists. The new factory setlists are stored in the new firmware but not available until you explicitly perform the startup sequence to restore stock presets and setlists. See:

Note that this will overwrite any existing custom setlists with the factory USER1 - USER5 setlists all containing the empty New Preset in all slots. So if you've already restored your custom setlists after the update, you will need to restore them again. If you have made any changes to these since the update you will need to back them up again before performing the factory restore and restore them again later.

Worked like a charm.  Restored my user setlists and I'm a happy camper.  Thank you, silverhead!

silverhead, you better add "Close HX Edit after doing the backup, BEFORE running the updater".  

If HX Edit is still open when you try to run the updater the USB port is busy and your Helix device won't show up.  You'd think Line 6 would have a reminder dialogue box saying "Please close all Line 6 programs", but they don't.  

Specracer986, do you see the new Factory preset at 32A that Silverhead mentions? Also are you seeing the 2.51 for the editor and 2.50 for the firmware? If not I wonder if this begs the question that willjrock asked earlier of whether or not you need to a global reset with the footswiches after upgrading, especially if you are NOT going to do a restore via HX Edit. The manual global reset seems to have been a deprecated procedure since 2.30 but maybe you still need to do it if you don't do a restore. And regarding cruisinon2's comment,  I also thought a restore was required, at least in prior versions, to upgrade all the user's presets to the new firmware version. I had kind of assumed that the restore process since the HX Edit 2.3 version also did the global reset automatically that prior to that had to be done manually. The one caveat was that if you left the Factory and Template setlists unchecked you would get the newest Factory and Template presets instead of overwriting them with the ones from your old firmware. I wonder if it is possible that without doing an explicit restore that you have yet to upgrade your user presets to the latest firmware and are also quite possibly not seeing the newest factory presets? In other words, if you have presets from a prior firmware version is it mandatory to do either a restore from HX Edit or a global footswitch reset to get all your presets up to the latest firmware version?

I definitely have 2.50 FW and 2.51 editor version. I may have missed the one new preset. I will check in the morning and if I don't have the new preset, then I will do the start up sequence. I think we're making this out to be more complicated than it is, but one complete set of instructions would be nice. It's surprising to me that we have to do a start up reset. I thought we were done with those. No biggie though.

silverhead, you better add "Close HX Edit after doing the backup, BEFORE running the updater".  

If HX Edit is still open when you try to run the updater the USB port is busy and your Helix device won't show up.  You'd think Line 6 would have a reminder dialogue box saying "Please close all Line 6 programs", but they don't.

FYI: You can’t have two applications using or communicating with the Helix at the same time. This is nothing new with this version.

Note that this will overwrite any existing custom setlists with the factory USER1 - USER5 setlists all containing the empty New Preset in all slots. So if you've already restored your custom setlists after the update, you will need to restore them again. If you have made any changes to these since the update you will need to back them up again before performing the factory restore.

Making the assumption then that the new firmware update "in place" process essentially does whatever required a manual global footswitch reset in the pre 2.30 firmware versions, which subsequently then required the reloading of all user presets.  It looks like reloading your user presets is no longer required. They will still be there and upgraded after the firmware update.  Btw, I just did the firmware update. If you personally have loaded the new factory presets, what is a specific thing in the new Space Cadet preset at 32A that I could use to visually differentiate it from the old Space Cadet preset?

Crazy thought but just wondering if you unchecked all of the categories under the 'Presets' heading in the HX Edit 2.51 "Restore From Backup" screen if it would overwrite the Factory and Template presets with the ones from the latest firmware? Unchecking the Factory setlists was how you kept the latest ones using the restore backup screen in HX Edit 2.30. If so this would be an alternative to doing a footswitch global reset and then having to restore your User presets.

Update: Btw silverhead, the fact that the new firmware update process does the firmware upgrade "in place" without necessitating the restore of the presets makes the question of which version of the backups you should have for a restore to 2.50 less important as you can just get a new HX Edit 2.51 backup after the firmware upgrade. The only people who might need to know which version it was best to restore would be the rare cases where someone either had a catastrophic failure during the upgrade that corrupted the presets on their Helix, or someone who had to clear their presets in order for the firmware upgrade to complete properly.

Just for giggles(and for the fact I was slightly worried about the garbled text during the first install) I did a factory reset. After the reset I now have the factory1 patches. I reinstalled the firmware and this time I didn't do it from a "local" file, This time I saw the verbage that HonestOpinion has quoted. If  you download the FW file and update it you don't get those instructions.

I also didn't get the garbled text across the helix screen this time. I've restored only my setlist and IRs(from a 2.3 backup) and everything is good now.

... I'm surprised nobody has seemed to note one of the more obvious 'solutions' for the way the new system allows things to update to a new firmware version without purging all of the setlists etc:

If Line 6 would kindly post the FACTORY 1, FACTORY 2, and TEMPLATES setlists and/or alternatively, the presets themselves, to accompany the new versions, it would save some resets/restores just to get the new versions of the presets.

Not really a big problem at all, since it's quite simple to restore things - however, since we don't have methods in place yet of individually backing up 'setlist' style batch files of:

Global settings

IR slots

... then this would help get around these steps.

I only mention this because the new streamlined methods (which are outstanding) have led to many posts asking about the new factory presets etc.

Cautions would have to be attached making sure that users know that those presets are built on x.xx firmware and won't function properly/possibly at all on previous versions (which might be the essential reason this hasn't been 'officially' done to date).

You can go directly to 2.50 - and it's got the lovely lush new reverbs and interesting new amp channels (just finished initial testing etc... very nice indeed!)

Lol... indeed. In the midst of all the "Holy $hit, what do I do now?!?!?!?!" nonsense, nobody is mentioning that.😂 Loving the new reverbs, and I have my dimension chorus back! Life is good...

You can go directly to 2.50 - and it's got the lovely lush new reverbs and interesting new amp channels (just finished initial testing etc... very nice indeed!)

Thanks for the prompt reply..  I am just getting ready to start the upgrade. 

Lol... indeed. In the midst of all the "Holy $hit, what do I do now?!?!?!?!" nonsense, nobody is mentioning that. Loving the new reverbs, and I have my dimension chorus back! Life is good...

=]

Yes, this one seems like it's in the midst of some extra frenzy - probably because the nature of the additions is especially on-point to what folks have been asking for.

Naturally I took a new preset and dropped in a new amp, a drive in front of it as an option, a simple delay, and then a massive gobby wash of lush stereo HX-level reverb - glorious.

I've never had any issues with the ones we've had to date, but there's no denying that you can't un-hear this kind of extra depth of detail and care in crafting these new effects.

... and I won't lie; I spent a few minutes revisiting some Legacy items for goofy fun - 'yah yah yah yah' and Obi Wah and such... =]

I still have my PODhd 'butt-POD' (LOL that's not going to stop being funny to me any time soon...) performance setup, plus my PODX3, so I've had access to them... just haven't leveraged that since Helix.

My PODX3 is my sound test device on my work-bench, hooked to a little Tweed mini-amp as a simple noise-maker...

Just seen this post - says it all.. thanks

Apologies in advance if this has been covered elsewhere, but has anyone else updated to HX Edit 2.51 and still have it read 2.30 in the about section?  I do believe it updated - and I was able to update to the 2.50 firmware for the Helix.   Things seem to work fine, except that the HX edit doesn't show the new amps and fx (yet the Helix floor does).   Bug?  User error?  Missed a step?

Apologies in advance if this has been covered elsewhere, but has anyone else updated to HX Edit 2.51 and still have it read 2.30 in the about section?  I do believe it updated - and I was able to update to the 2.50 firmware for the Helix.   Things seem to work fine, except that the HX edit doesn't show the new amps and fx (yet the Helix floor does).   Bug?  User error?  Missed a step?

You may want to uninstall your Line6 Helix software first and then download HX Edit 2.51 again and reinstall it as Silverhead suggests. That way you will be sure you have the correct version installed and invoked when you bring up the Editor. 

I did  a complete backup and separate backup of setlists and IRs. I have installed v2.50, still have my prior 2.30 factory and user setlists.  I want to get the new factory setlists. Which of the below options should I chose to get the new factory(1)(2)  setlists ?

1. Holding footswitch 5+6 on boot restores Global parameters
2. Holding footswitch 7+8 on boot restores presets and setlists—THIS WILL OVERWRITE ALL USER PRESETS AND SETLISTS
3. Holding footswitch 8+9 on boot restores presets, setlists, and IRs—THIS WILL OVERWRITE ALL USER PRESETS AND SETLISTS
4. Holding footswitch 9+10 on boot restores presets, setlists, globals and IRs (restores factory bundle)—THIS WILL OVERWRITE ALL USER PRESETS AND SETLISTS
5. Holding footswitch 10+11 on boot will rebuild your presets in the latest loaded firmware
6. Helix can now restore by clearing only the current preset instead of wiping out all presets. While holding footswitches 11 + 12
7. Helix can now, after firmware 1.06.5, enter update mode manually by holding footswitches 6 + 12

Thanks in advance for your help.

You may want to uninstall your Line6 Helix software first and then download HX Edit 2.51 again and reinstall it as Silverhead suggests. That way you will be sure you have the correct version installed and invoked when you bring up the Editor. 

Thanks!   Odd.  The package name on the mac reads 2.51, then when i got to install it, it references 2.30.    I'll re-download and try again.   

Thanks!   Odd.  The package name on the mac reads 2.51, then when i got to install it, it references 2.30.    I'll re-download and try again.   

You probably do not need to download and reinstall. If you are talking about the Line6 Updater that is normal. When you start the Updater it will show a picture of your device and your current firmware version listed. The initial screen does NOT list the version of the firmware you are upgrading to. Once you click on that picture/graphic with your current firmware version you will be presented with a list of firmware versions you can update to including 2.50. Just click on the button for version 2.50 of the firmware and let the Updater lead you through the update process.

Note: If you do not see that graphic and just a blank page when you start the Updater your Updater is not connecting to the Helix. Usually because you don't have the right driver installed, have the wrong version of the Updater, have the Editor up at the same time as the Updater, don't have the device plugged in via USB, are having issues with a specific USB port, or having an issue with your operating system or computer hardware. Those are some of the most common causes anyway.

I have seen a couple of posts and some early confusion......seems the formal installation instructions may not be readily visible during the process.

1) Backup existing presets and setlists as desired using HX Edit v2.30. Use the full system backup feature as well if you wish. If you only use the full backup feature you will not be able to have the new factory presets along with your user setlists after the update.

Silverhead, since this is the first post in this thread, people will likely take as the real instructions they should use, and it's useful to have everything in one obvious place. (FWIW, I think Line 6 should post the real, complete instructions here too IMO.)

Given that, please update item 1 to say something like:

1) Backup existing presets and setlists as desired using HX Edit v2.30. Use the full system backup feature as well if you wish. If you only use the full backup feature, and decide to do the startup sequence that restores the factory presets and setlists to get any new factory presets, make sure to uncheck the factory setlists when you restore from your backup. Otherwise, you'll overwrite the new factory setlists with the old ones from your backup.

Also:

• Maybe mention that in step 5, "Restore user setlists from you backup"
  • Don't you need to quit HXEdit between steps 1 and 2? Should you leave your Helix connected then or not?

Sure, no problem, thank you :)

Just discovered that restoring selected setlists (i.e., all but the factory ones) lost my custom setlist names. Ideally, restoring a setlist would include restoring its name too. Not positive if that's new or not, but I think it is.

Not a huge tragedy, but a bit annoying.