Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can the Helix do a TC2290 Mod Delay

scottbmckin

Hi,

Sitting on the fence on purchasing the helix.

Can it do a TC2290 style mod delay.

For example the TC2290 can have a sine or triangle LFO with depth and speed/rate where the speed is in kHz so you get a nice vibrato on the delay repeats only.

I am using a g system just now with serial 2 routing that can add the vibrato at 4kHz to the delay repeats only but I want more routing flexibiltity.

Also on another note how good is the twin harmony on the helix. I use a Digitech IPS-33B just now purely for shimmer and octaves.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi scottbmckin and welcome to the forum,

I think you may have got your frequencies a bit wrong, 4Hz is more like a mod frequency. 

I'm pretty sure 4kHz would sound more like an old school ring modulator and not very pleasant on a guitar.

Craig

I don't know everything the Helix has but you could do it old school. Run a basic delay in a parallel path with the mix at 100%. Put the modulation effect of your choice afterwards. You can then use the merge block to adjust the mix of the now modulated dealys with the dry original signal.

With Helix you can put a delay in a parallel path at 100% mix and do whatever crazy stuff you want with the repeats. Just put another effect block behind the delay in that parallel path and see what you can create. It opens up a lot of territory for creativity. Imagine on your repeats having a "bitcrusher", various filter effects, etc...

My tc2290 bricked out about five years ago. Irreplaceable part blew. I'm still mourning. Truth is there is no 1:1 modern replacement for that thing.

That's a sad thing right there.  I'd love to have a 2290, but the high price of entry combined with the fact that they can go south that easily keeps me away. 

That's a sad thing right there.  I'd love to have a 2290, but the high price of entry combined with the fact that they can go south that easily keeps me away. 

That's why I didn't replace it. Working units are a minimum of $1200 and there are several obsolete chips that there is no remaining NOS for. TC did their best to offer parts and service for as long as they could after their suppliers stopped making the ICs, but that bird has flown. I absolutely do not recommend buying one for that reason... you have a very good chance of ending up with a $1500 paperweight. 

My all-time favorite delays are the TC2290 and the Korg DLR8000.