Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New 2.50 Presets?

k21267

In fact, more confusion was added when powering up my Helix this morn. I received a rebuilding presets message, which seems strange considering I did a reboot last night with buttons 7&8 held down. No reboot procedure was initiated this morn, yet apparently, presets were being rebuilt. 

In most of the prior firmware versions the first time you restart the Helix after a reset following a firmware upgrade you will see all the rebuild messages again. For most users that is the last time they will see those messages although there have been occasions where one or two presets would seem to get rebuilt upon restart every time. Also for at least some of the firmware revisions every time you copied a user preset to a new location it would get rebuilt at the next startup. Haven't paid close enough attention to notice if it is still doing that. Point is you should not be seeing all the presets rebuilding on your next startup(maybe a couple). This behavior is why it has been recommended to always restart your Helix an additional time after an update to allow the final rebuild before you start editing your presets. Editing them before this final rebuild probably/maybe doesn't have any impact but it makes me feel better to do the final rebuild first. 

Presets from older firmware versions are not rebuilt when they are imported. They are rebuilt during the next startup. I agree with HonestOpinion - after importing a few setlists post-firmware update it is good practice to restart Helix and force an immediate rebuild before doing a lot of editing. Just good practice, not necessarily necessary. 😉🤓

Presets from older firmware versions are not rebuilt when they are imported. ...

Good additional point, in at least many of the prior firmware versions, not only copying a user preset to a new location, but importing one from CustomTone, retail presets, or your own preset backups from a prior version would generate a rebuild of those specific presets upon the next startup - normal behavior. Just something to keep in mind before you spend three hours editing newly imported presets. Again, it probably does not make a difference or I would think tons of people would have complained about issues but restarting first might be a good idea. This is another one of those subtler behaviors on the Helix that I would love to see someone from Line6 weigh in on. If the subsequent rebuild after editing doesn't make a difference, great. If it does than eventually it would be preferable if the action of importing a legacy preset would immediately trigger whatever the final rebuild sequence is so it did not have to wait for a restart. If the rebuild is strictly a "clerical" process and does not affect preset editing prior to rebuild then it does not matter when it occurs. I suspect that is the case but would love to get a confirmation on that. This issue has been brought up in the forum for years, particularly after every firmware release, and I don't ever remember Line6 posting something regarding its impact or lack thereof. Maybe their lack of commentary on the subject is their way of saying it has no impact but it would be nice to know for sure.

Great as some of them are I don't think I am using a single Factory preset. I prefer to use other people's presets as guides for new ideas and design my own. For those who want 'em though it might be nice to have all Factory presets uploaded to CustomTone. People could download their favorite Line6 Factory presets to their heart's content. If folks were worried they would clutter up CustomTone I suppose you could put them in a dedicated section. Even if they were mixed in with the rest of the presets the search function on the CustomTone page would make them easy to display and sort.

... For those who want 'em though it might be nice to have all Factory presets uploaded to CustomTone. People could download their favorite Line6 Factory presets to their heart's content...

http://benvesco.com/store/line-6-helix/

Ben Vesco's website has all the old deleted factory presets available for download...

Not updated to 2.5 yet though.

They are there if people want them... just stick em in a folder on a computer and tuck em away in one of the user presets and then people always have em available if they want?

See earlier post

http://line6.com/support/topic/31867-new-250-presets/page-1?do=findComment&comment=244960

6. Helix can now restore by clearing only the current preset instead of wiping out all presets. While holding footswitches 11 + 12

In reading this part of the instructions, am I correct to assume that since this update only has one new preset, I could just have my Helix on Factory 1 32A when I shut it down,then do the 11/12 button reset on startup and I'll get the one new preset without having to restore all my own user presets?

I know, it sounds too easy. I actually don't care about the new preset, I'm just trying to understand the whole update process for future reference.