Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Edge Thing

regalpierot

For want of a better phrase. Does anyone know good specific settings on any of the delay blocks that would produce a nice dotted eight effect so U2biquous

Thx.

You can set all of the delays in Helix to dotted eighth. Dial in a higher mix and feedback. The "Edge sound" is going to come more from technique than a magic delay setting though. 

I couldn't see time signature settings anywhere, just specific time values in ms. At a guess it's some type of dual delay with the offset giving that dotted eight differential.

Can you tell me specifically the parameter and setting in a delay to do that. Thanks.

I couldn't see time signature settings anywhere, just specific time values in ms. At a guess it's some type of dual delay with the offset giving that dotted eight differential.

Can you tell me specifically the parameter and setting in a delay to do that. Thanks.

Push in the knob where the ms time values. The options then turn into note division values. 

Aha, always a good day when you learn something new. 

While this thread has been super lucky to me already :) the one other thing I've looked through in the manual but can't really find is.....there seems to be a way with external expression pedals where when heel position is set to disable say a way and then moving the pedal engages the effect...you can actually set a time (in seconds I presume) where the system will wait with the pedal in heel position before turning off the effect. Super useful for uncoordinated fools like myself who tend to sweem all the way back and forth on the expression for wah so will invariably hit full heel position without actually wanting to switch things off. 

As stated in this thread, you can set the time sync of the delays to get them to dotted 1/8th. 

Another thing I've found to be helpful in going specifically for the Edge's delay sound is running the delay before the amp.  This is how would have run them into the Vox amps he uses.  You're able to get a more pronounced delay effect as he does than when you place the delay after ther amp/cab.  Particularly on songs like Bad where the delay is just as prevalent as the notes he's playing. 

I did a U2 patch for Helix if you want to check it out.  The Custom Tone link is in the video description:

• Upvote 1

Aha, always a good day when you learn something new. 

While this thread has been super lucky to me already :) the one other thing I've looked through in the manual but can't really find is.....there seems to be a way with external expression pedals where when heel position is set to disable say a way and then moving the pedal engages the effect...you can actually set a time (in seconds I presume) where the system will wait with the pedal in heel position before turning off the effect. Super useful for uncoordinated fools like myself who tend to sweem all the way back and forth on the expression for wah so will invariably hit full heel position without actually wanting to switch things off. 

There is a way to set up the expression for "auto engage" for wah, but I don't use that functionality. Someone else may want to chime in on that. 

Ha chuskey I saw your U2 video already and loved it. Then saw someone asked if it worked on HXFX which I have, and I guess you need the amp and cab models. Too bad. Although I'm thinking of grabbing native so will really try out your stuff there. Top quality.

Thanks!  Technically you can do all of the effects stuff I did with this patch in HX FX just leaving out the amp models of course.  

If you download a trial of Helix Native (I think they have a trial period) you should be able to open up my patch and look at all the effects and settings. 

You'd just need to manually recreate that in HXFX.  

You can set all of the delays in Helix to dotted eighth. Dial in a higher mix and feedback. The "Edge sound" is going to come more from technique than a magic delay setting though. 

Also try dotted 8th + 1/4 and dotted 8th with 1/8.