Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

So legacy effects are always stereo? mono?

willjrock

Seems a little awkward to arrange the menus this way. If its just temporary then i guess i could understand..

If you think about what each title says....

Mono - use for single channel fx

Stereo - use for two channel fx

Legacy - these fx are from an earlier product line.

The legacy title has no relevance to our end goal. The description "mono and stereo" provide necessary information we need to make a proper choice while the description legacy does not. What do we care what time period the effect is from? The only thing we need to know at that point in time of selecting an effect is  "do i want a 2 channel effect or the 1 channel?" 

From the announcement of this release,I was of the opinion that the "Legacy" header didnt even need to be there. Just put them into 2 categories. Mono and Stereo....but L6 seems insistent on depicting these fx were not built for the Helix.  Again we should really have no reason to care, as long as we like the sound.

A mono or stereo heading under the legacy section make a little more sense. Getting rid of the legacy sub menu all together is what makes the most sense to me.

• Thanks 1

I think the reason they didn’t classify them is that there are a bunch that don’t fit neatly into either category. There are many mods and delays that are mono in/stereo out (they don’t maintain true stereo separation) for example. All the drives are mono, and all the reverbs and filters are stereo.

I'm not sure if this is true but if they maintain what they were in the M-Series you can go here.

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/effects-controllers/m5-m9-m13/stereomono-fx-routing-table-r127

Besides the defintions of what the mono/stereo designations mean, there's a document at the bottom you can download that tells what each of the FX are. I have a feeling it's going to confuse more than enlighten.

• Upvote 1

I think the reason they didn’t classify them is that there are a bunch that don’t fit neatly into either category. There are many mods and delays that are mono in/stereo out (they don’t maintain true stereo separation) for example. All the drives are mono, and all the reverbs and filters are stereo.

I'm not sure if this is true but if they maintain what they were in the M-Series you can go here.

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/effects-controllers/m5-m9-m13/stereomono-fx-routing-table-r127

Besides the defintions of what the mono/stereo designations mean, there's a document at the bottom you can download that tells what each of the FX are.

Ok a little background definitely helps. Appreciate that for sure fellas!

On HX Edit, there's an indication of stereo capability for each legacy model.
When you load a stereo legacy model, its name will be followed by a symbol similar to OO, if not stereo, there's no symbol, same as in HX models.
post-13228-0-76553300-1518101118_thumb.jpg post-13228-0-59883700-1518101154_thumb.jpg

Thanks Phil. Yeah i kind of figured a lot of it would boil down to common sense. Still seems though there could be some room for confusion. For instance if you were in a situation where you didnt have the ability to audition the fx first, and then some people just dont have the ability to be able to tell. Again as a temp solution it makes sense. Long term, i could see where confusion could arise.

When you load a stereo legacy model, its name will be followed by a symbol similar to OO, if not stereo, there's no symbol, same as in HX models.

attachicon.gifLegacySTEREO.jpg attachicon.gifLegacyMONO.jpg

Thanks yes! I forgot about that. It certainly does offer a clear solution to the issue.

The other thing I'd add is that with the HX Effects, there are mono and stereo versions of most of them. With the Legacy effects, there is only the one type, so whether you want to use it in mono or stereo, it doesn't really matter. You always only have the one block to use.

Trying to get my head around that one Phil. Havent made it there yet. Would you be willing to say the same thing in a different way? :)

Well, let's say you wanted a tremolo effect. With the HX effects, you could choose to use the Mono or Stereo version of that effect depending on your signal path and what you wanted to do. You had the option of choosing whether it would be a mono or stereo block. The mono and stereo versions that effect are actually two separate models in the Helix. With the Legacy effects, there is only one model and the mono/stereo behavior simply follows what it was like in previous Line 6 devices.

• Upvote 1

attachicon.gifLegacySTEREO.jpg attachicon.gifLegacyMONO.jpg

Does this symbol appears on the Helix's screen too like other effects ?

I understand you now Phil. I guess i just dont see the purpose of putting them in a "legacy bank".  As far as i can see the only thing its saving is a little scrolling, which doesnt bother me, but im only one.

I want 77 new fx but i dont want to have to scroll the whole way through them lol.