Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-69 tremolo knife edges

Hi All,

I've a nice black JTV69, I bought it in 2011. Since then I use it almost every day. However I noticed that after some tremolo usage the guitar goes out of tune all the time. During the last string change I checked the tremolo bridge and I noticed that the knife edges seems to be really used. I took some pictures, please check them:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AXxGWGxaZdf9hsxSTbhWW_76lOyLjxGO

The problem is that, I really don't know what should I do now, because this type of bridge is very special and I cannot buy a new one in the local music stores. I found one on fullcompass but its quite expensive and I really don't need new saddles and tremolo block etc. Only the bridge plate with the kinfe edges.

Have you got any idea how should I repair it? Have you got any experience about bad/used kinfe edges on JTV69 guitars?

Thank you in advance!

Norbert

Have you got any idea how should I repair it? Have you got any experience about bad/used kinfe edges on JTV69 guitars?

Thank you in advance!

Norbert

Well there is no repairing it. It's metal on metal, and it gets worn...it's just like arthritis😉. It happens to all bridges of this type eventually.

The tuning issue could easily be unrelated anyway. Strat style floating tremolos without a locking nut are notorious for this kind of behavior, and poorly lubricated nut slots are often the culprit. If the string can't move freely in there, you have almost no chance of it returning to pitch after yanking on the bar, even a little. This is why the locking nuts exist in the first place. Worn out trem springs can also be a factor if they're not returning the bridge to it's neutral position reliably. And out of whack intonation is always a consideration with tuning problems...

Bottom line is, those are just three things I'd blame for your tuning issues, before the worn knife edges on the bridge.

Thank you, I've found this earlier. However it's quite expensive and I'm in Europe. And the I really don't need a full bridge, as my saddles, block and electronics are in great condition. Only the knife edges have problems. It would be great if I could buy only the tremolo base plate. Have you got any info if it is possible the find only the base plate? Do you think that, Tylerguitars.com could help with james tyler bridge replacement parts?

Do you think that, Tylerguitars.com could help with james tyler bridge replacement parts?

Anything is possible, but I seriously doubt this is the cause of your tuning issues anyway. At least take a look at the other stuff I suggested above before you start replacing bridge parts. I have 4 guitars with the same style of floating trem, and they all show wear in that spot to some degree. It doesn't take long to happen, but they all stay in tune just fine. Some new springs and/or a little nut sauce may be all that's required.

String trees can help too...I replaced the neck on my 69 some time ago, and I forget if the stock neck had them or not, so that may or may not be a consideration for you as well.

Around 2012 or 2013, a update to the specs to the knife edge and bridge posts,

so the wouldn't wear as much or as quick. If you replace the bridge, then replace

the bridge posts as well.

nkrcompany,...   since you are in the Euro and Full compass doesn't ship there, if

you knew someone in America, they might be able to ship these to you. Or, contact

Line 6 service partners in your area.

There, bridge and posts could be install and a set-up done on the guitar.