Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Quality of legacy effects

EdwinV

4 hours ago, phil_m said:

DI's pet feature isn't a new effect... I'd wager that no one will guess what it is. It's cool and will be useful, but I don't think it's something anyone will necessarily be expecting.

I already know it's not an effect... but I don't want to ruin the surprise...

On 1/15/2019 at 6:36 PM, phil_m said:

DI's pet feature isn't a new effect... I'd wager that no one will guess what it is. It's cool and will be useful, but I don't think it's something anyone will necessarily be expecting.

Separate power amps to make frankenamps

I would not say "better" or "worse", but some of the legacy effects work for my bass better than their modern counterpart.

Some examples not covering all blocks (from my notes some time ago):

• I like "Heavy Distortion" (legacy) for a kind of fuzz tones with split / crossover. At low gains it does not pass bass without blending.
  • I recommend to try Screamer, very different from Scream 808. Not better or worse, completely different. Without blending the legacy version takes bass EQ better in my opinion.
  • Colordrive: good because of the way it blends with clean signal to keep bass. But it is just one of the many drives that works well.
  • Facial Fuzz (legacy): Best fuzz for me for bass use. But I am not a seasoned Fuzz user, maybe most people don't agree. Please try and share opinions!
  • Boost Comp: Simple compressor with flat response, it is effective on bass. Some bass users reported it as the best. To me it is not as good as Deluxe Comp or 3 band compressor, but I found it useful.
  • Some reverbs: Lower on resources than new ones?, they can be effective for bass. I use Room, Octo and Cave to create ambients... but I also use Plateaux and Particle Verb.
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have a Helix rack mount that has a mono FX loop patched through a Line 6 Echo Pro.  I have several echo patches on the Echo pro that I have been using.  Most of them are Stereo delay (remember I am going mono) so I get a twin delay type of effect off of a Helix generated MIDI clock. I spent the evening attempting to port the settings from the Echo Pro - Stereo Delay to the Echo Legacy - Stereo delay.  So far it has been very challenging and I am not getting much success.  Other legacy effects might be more true to the Pro equivalents, but the stereo delay effect through mono is not accurate.  The issue isn't even tone related, rather it has to do with when delays start relative to the initial impulse and subsequent feedback decay rates. Fiddling with feedback, I could get a little close to the number of echo repeats, but the roll off isn't the same and I'm sad to say, the Helix version just isn't as magical about it.  I'm mixing dotted 1.8ths and quarters, or 1/8 triplets and dotted quarters and the rhythmic pulsing from an impulse is just way different between the two.  I got say, growing up on the real Echo Pro stereo delay, I was/am pretty spoiled.  Overall I love the Helix, but there is something missing in the secret sauce relative to that Legacy porting of the Stereo echo.

On other hand the legacy dimensional modulation I feel is pretty close. Also the legacy comet trails is pretty close too including some of the audio pulsing artifacts.

So i am thinking about pulling the Mod Pro and Filter Pro from my rack, but I better buy a second Echo Pro for backup.

legacy plate reverb is i think the old cavernous reverb from XT Pro, i'm not a reverb connoisseur but it feels like same to me, you can get super super wet but it never washes out, you can hear all the notes of everything clearly. i wish the spring reverbs were wetter/longer. a mesa roadster stock spring tank on channel 2 fat is like a muffin cathedral, sounds like the UAD AKG tank plugin...why don't all spring reverbs get that wet? Most of them are basically floppy dirty slapback

nevermind, just turned off the filters of legacy springs and they do the syrup just fine