Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Which Amp And What About Servicing ?

glenbury

Hi;

I've ben a long time user of PODS (Pod HD500) but never a Line 6 amp.

I have interest in either the DT25 / 50 since I'd like to play my POD HD500

through one of these dedicated Line 6 amps so I have a few questions.

1) I would imagine the DT25 with 2 1x12 extension would cover most small to medium sized gigs.

Would the DT50 head with a 2x12 cab be overkill for the same type gigs ?

2) Can you get a good sound out of these amps at low volume for playing at home ?

3) What about servicing these amps if something goes wrong ?

Do these usually have to be shipped back to Line 6 for servicing ?

I'm doubting issues with these amps can be handled by a local amp repairman.

I don't mind shipping a POD for service but would hate to have to ship an amp

across the country (I'm in Florida).  One of the reasons I'm looking at the head

and cabs instead of the combo.

Thanks!

1. the DT50 is real loud, and being a tube amp you pretty much want to run it as wide open as you can. given the gig size in question i would vote for the DT25.

2. both amps have a low volume mode for this purpose, perfectly suitable for practicing.... of course creating your tones is best done at the volume you want them to be.

3. typical service such as tube replacement and biasing can be done anywhere. there are some things you'd have to get direct from line6 but you can also send it to any number of authorized service centers and not directly to line6: http://line6.com/service_centers/

Thanks for your reply.

One more question if you don't mind.

I noticed from older forum posts that MANY guys seemed to be having integration issues

between the POD HD and their DT amp.  The main issue seemed to be the 4 voicings 

on the DT amp sounded noticeably different from the analogous models on the POD HD.

Does anyone know if these issues have been addressed ?

Thanks !

it's a complicated device... i personally think that these so called issues were exaggerated.

but in any case there have been some tweaks, and will probably continue to be tweaks for all eternity because it's an entirely subjective "issue"

Thanks for your reply.

One more question if you don't mind.

I noticed from older forum posts that MANY guys seemed to be having integration issues

between the POD HD and their DT amp.  The main issue seemed to be the 4 voicings 

on the DT amp sounded noticeably different from the analogous models on the POD HD.

Does anyone know if these issues have been addressed ?

Thanks !

I took some time with the DT50 a long time ago in a studio as I was on the DT50 beta team, and one of the lead sound engineers who worked on the amp models couldn't understand at the time the issues people were having around that.

I didn';t struggle to get just about identical sounds, but the key to getting that to work was the following:

1. Understanding which 4 POD HD amp models were used in the DT amps (this was communicated incorrectly on more than one occasion.

2. Remembering to include the default cam model in the POD when comparing it to the DT 50.  It was assumed by most that the cab model wasn't in use in the DT, but in fact all the default DT models run with the corresponding default cab model turned on.  Now with the latest DT25/50 firmware, you can have total control over that with MIDI or an iPhone/iPad.

3. the DT50 and DT25's default 4 voicings weren't the same in both amps.

4. remember that there's a chance the tone is affected a tiny amount by individual component tolerances, but of course that will only affect the tone a tiny amount.  The HD300/400's master volume seemed to interact slightly differently than the POD HD500/Pro with the DT50.  not a big change in tone, but some near max master vol settings on the HD300/400 seemed to make a tiny tonal change.

All that said, if you setup the gear in the right way they sound the same... the trick is knowing what settings are needed, but now you can see all the settings in the DT's using MIDI so there's no challenge to knowing that info like there was when the amps very only just released.

I second Zap's suggestion of a DT25 being enough for small/medium gigs.

hope that all helps.

Rowbi

Hi,

I thought the connection would be an XLR from my POD HD500 to the DT25 ?

Wouldn't that give full control over the DT25 ?

Sorry, I'm MIDI challenged. I see in the POD manual how it can be used to as a Midi controller.

So what additional advantage/control does that give me over the XLR connection ?

Thanks so much

Glenbury

"I thought the connection would be an XLR from my POD HD500 to the DT25 ?

Wouldn't that give full control over the DT25 ?"

You can change the models in the amp with the HD-500 too, just program them in the Pods patch. 

I say use the XLR jack as it was intended to be used. YMMV as always...

yes that's right use the XLR jack (L6Link).

What I was talking about was that if you're using the DT amps standalone you can deep edit them using MIDI now.  that in itself gives you a few more details about how to setup the POD + DT (using L6Link) to sound the same as a DT standalone.

But just trust me, there's no super magic going on, you can get the same tones from a POD + DT as the DT gives standalone, but with the POD there's lots more extras too!  so I'd say use the POD and DT with L6Link