Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is it possible to use one expression pedal to control multiple effects/parameters within the same preset?

highline-2004

Is it possible to use one expression pedal to control multiple effects within the same preset?

Example, I have three effects that need to be controlled by my one expression pedal. Example, Wah, Delay (assigning control to feedback), and Pitch Wham. These three effects are all in one preset. How would you go about turning each one on/off? or is this not possible? Or would you need more than one expression pedal? 

Loving the HX!!! But having some issues with expression pedal and effects that are not assigned to a foot switch. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Is it possible to use one expression pedal to control multiple effects within the same preset?

Example, I have three effects that need to be controlled by my one expression pedal. Example, Wah, Delay (assigning control to feedback), and Pitch Wham. These three effects are all in one preset. How would you go about turning each one on/off? or is this not possible? Or would you need more than one expression pedal?

Loving the HX!!! But having some issues with expression pedal and effects that are not assigned to a foot switch.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Well you can use the auto engage for the wah, so that's easy... it'll turn on as soon as you move the pedal (heel down position is "off"). Delay feedback and the pitch wham can both be assigned to the expression pedal, but I'd keep them separate (EXP1/EXP2), otherwise you'll be varying the delay feedback all over the place while you're using the pitch wham, unless the delay is off at the time, in which case it doesn't much matter.

As for toggling FX on/off, you can assign whatever you want to the expression pedal toe switch.

Possible.  I'm a Helix rack user, and use a third-party MIDI controller.  Assuming you know how to assign expression pedal to parameters.  You can make that assignment to multiple blocks in a preset.  When you move the pedal the parameters change.  You can prove that by making your assignments, then go to each block, move the pedal, watch the parameters change as you set them.  If the block is off, the changes still occur, but you can't hear them (duh).  If the block is on...  So you'll have to figure out how to control the on/off of each block according to your needs.  You could have two on at the same time and, for example, increase the gain on your amp block, and decrease the feedback on your delay simultaneously.  I tested that by having a wah and pitch shift on the same pedal assignment.  Breaking new ground  there turning both on - sounded like crap - ha ha - but both responded to expression.  I just keep each block assigned to an on/off foot switch (wah, pitch), turn the desired one on, use expression pedal, turn off when done.  You could also make those on/off changes with multiple blocks via snapshot.  I don't think you can make multiple Footswitch assignments in a single patch - example:  can't assign Footswitch 5 assignment to turn two separate blocks on or off (unless in snapshot).  I could be wrong on that one...still learning.  However, I can send a single MIDI cc message and turn on/off multiple blocks - as long as it's not one of the reserved MIDI messages inside the Helix.  As stated, this is for Helix - but I'm guessing the HX unit works the same...?

I don't think you can make multiple Footswitch assignments in a single patch - example: can't assign Footswitch 5 assignment to turn two separate blocks on or off (unless in snapshot). I could be wrong on that one...still learning.

You can toggle multiple FX with the same footswitch...it'll say "multiple" on the scribble strip. I've assigned as many as 3 to a single switch. I'm assuming there's a limit to how many you can assign to any one footswitch, but I'm not sure what it is.

Thanks, will revisit that one.  Like I said, I'm using a 3rd party controller without scribble strips - but i do remember messing with a Helix floor unit and seeing that "multiple" message.  That will make turning multiple blocks on/off without using snapshots possible for the OP.

You can toggle multiple FX with the same footswitch...it'll say "multiple" on the scribble strip. I've assigned as many as 3 to a single switch. I'm assuming there's a limit to how many you can assign to any one footswitch, but I'm not sure what it is.

It's 8 'functions' per footswitch - so that includes on/off status and parameter x/y adjustments and such.

Powerful.

That's how I accomplished a great deal with Helix prior to the introduction of Snapshots.

And the OP can have the Expression pedal adjusting the parameters of multiple effects simultaneously between configurable ranges - then let footswitch assignments deal with the on/off status requirements.

Snapshots would help there with the on/off functions, and the expression pedal can go about adjusting all of the parameters, regardless of whether that process block is active or not.

• Upvote 1

I use an external expression to control the amp. It simultaneously changes amp drive, master, and other parameters as necessary. I think I currently have one preset that changes 4 amp parameters simultaneously. 

I use another external expression to control mix/feedback of delays.