Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Copying chains of effects

vsukpadman

Hi all...new HELIX user (got it today) so may have quite a few questions to come :-)  v impressed so far though ! 

first is this...if I setup a vocal mic chain that I want to use on lots of other guitar presets ( so the mic chain stays the same on each) , how do I copy the WHOLE chain to another preset...is this even possible?

seems the copy/paste only does 1 effect at a time or am I missing something?

I am using HX edit AND I also have Helix native software if it helps

Many thanks 

Bill P

Thanks Klangmaler ....but doesn't that overwrite the whole preset I'm pasting it into...?

Is it not possible to copy JUST the mic  chain, and paste that whole thing into an already set up guitar preset (which I dont want to change) 

so it simply adds the mic chain to the already setup guitar preset?

hope that makes sense  !

thanks again !

Bill p

• Upvote 1

No it's not possible.  But whatever you do, don't complain about it here, or you'll be flamed by fanboys insisting that you don't need such a thing, and are probably a bit thick for even suggesting it.  I however agree with you, the copy/paste functionality is sadly very limited.  It shouldn't stop you falling in love with the Helix though, it really is a thing of beauty.  :)

-

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A multiple block copy & paste is a grand idea and if it doesn't already exist in Ideascale you might want to post it up. Klangmaler has the best suggestion for right now though. You can create a template preset with your favorite customized blocks and either copy the entire template, which as you point out will overwrite the preset you are copying to but can be a good spot to start from when you initially create a preset, or you can copy & paste your favorite customized blocks in one by one from the template which although more tedious will not overwrite the preset you are copying to. Sometimes it is easier to just copy the entire template and just clear the blocks you don't want or swap them for what you do rather than bringing them in one by one. Obviously depends on how many blocks you need to copy in.

Thanks Honestopinion....seems thats my only way forward for now..

Having seen the "heated debate" on the other thread , what I will say is this..

In my View, there is absolutely NO point in having a computer based app (HX Edit) for a piece of hardware that exactly DUPLICATES the functions of the hardware....

Computer apps can do SO much more, and that can then be transferred to the hardware, otherwise whats the point exactly ?

anyway...the Helix itself so far is awesome  :-) 

thanks again 

Bill P 

In my View, there is absolutely NO point in having a computer based app (HX Edit) for a piece of hardware that exactly DUPLICATES the functions of the hardware....

Computer apps can do SO much more, and that can then be transferred to the hardware, ...

Word! Agree with most of this piece of your comment. Although if I can't get the expanded ideal you reference I am still happy to have a way to work the controls from the computer as it saves my back and prolongs the life of the knobs and switches on the Helix but I have made similar comments as yours above about expanding the functions on the editor. To be fair there are some but the model that has been adhered to for the most part is simply to mimic the behavior on the Helix. Thankfully lots of great new features and functionality have been added along the way to both the editor and the Helix simultaneously so I can't really complain.

• Upvote 1

Well, as an 'old' Helix user I still can remember the times without having an editor:

giphy.gif

I'm very happy with the HXedit because it gives a 'live' representation of Helix.

There are many other products and editors that work not not nearly as intuitively -

and then you have to switch permanently from one editor mode to another, for example.

Anyway, it is a good idea of copying more than one block at a time (building a 'string' or a 'chain').

Login to ideascale and vote for it:

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Ability-to-copy-paste-multiple-blocks-from-one-preset-to-another/899165-23508#idea-tab-details