Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need help with a modern metal tone

mbarbara

So, as cliched as this question undoubtedly is, I need some help getting my helix to do a djent/prog modern metal sort of thing. Think Meshuggah/TesseracT/Periphery.

For the high gain tones, I've been running my Precision Drive in the FX loop and going through the "angl meteor" head and the Redwirez ENGL cabinet impulses. It doesn't sound terrible, but it's always either too thin or too muddy. I also have some problems with buzzing (which probably means I just need to adjust the gate).

For the clean tone, I want to try to duplicate the TesseracT cleans. I've got it fairly close by using the "twin reverb" head with no cab and a lot of reverb/delay. It distorts in a really weird way sometimes though.

I obviously don't know how to work this thing as well as I should. Can anyone help me out?

There are a lot of tutorials for the "milton cleans" just follow those and translate to the helix. The trick Acle uses often is not using an amp model at all.

The distorted tone Tesseract uses is just boosted 5150 I believe. The trick will be in the eq. Again there are a lot of tutorials online...just translate to helix.

As for the precision drive, you say it's in the loop surely you are running it before the amp block in the helix correct? This is also probably a source of the "buzz" the gate on the pedal should help. Some people go nuts with gates for this type of sound but I do just fine with one(isp decimator) between my OD and amp. I haven't messed with the helix gates much but I'm sure one of them is similar enough.

My advice would be to ditch the precision drive at first and just see how close you can get with the helix alone. Once you get close with that then you can sort out adding the external pedals. I'd go tubescreamer, gate, 5150, IR, and I usually throw eq block in front and at the end of the chain.

So, as cliched as this question undoubtedly is, I need some help getting my helix to do a djent/prog modern metal sort of thing. Think Meshuggah/TesseracT/Periphery.

Three wildly different rhythm tones there. Tesseract uses the FAS Modern amp model with a mid/gain boost in front into a V30 cab. There is no direct analog on Helix, but my suggestion would be to start with the Archon. Also, they coil tap their pickups for a spankier tone with all rhythms.

Meshuggah uses a buttload of different things through their career, but the Badonk model with a V30 cab should help get you there.

Periphery likes 5150 and Friedman sims, so dial either one of those up and pair it with the XXL V30 cab. If you go with the 5150, be sure to stick a Tube Screamer in front with the gain almost off.

Hard to help, because there is no such thing like "modern metal" tone :) What kind of music do you play? What kind of pickups do you have? How many strings do you play?

Stock amps are great, but you can achieve very different tone characters by using custom IRs (like Ownhammer, or for 30 quid you can purchase Mishas Zilla IR pack which is optimized for "modern metal"). 

For my Ibanez M80 (with Lundgren pickup), Archon works great, boosted it with 808 pedal and a custom IR.

There are a lot of tutorials for the "milton cleans" just follow those and translate to the helix. The trick Acle uses often is not using an amp model at all.

The distorted tone Tesseract uses is just boosted 5150 I believe. The trick will be in the eq. Again there are a lot of tutorials online...just translate to helix.

As for the precision drive, you say it's in the loop surely you are running it before the amp block in the helix correct? This is also probably a source of the "buzz" the gate on the pedal should help. Some people go nuts with gates for this type of sound but I do just fine with one(isp decimator) between my OD and amp. I haven't messed with the helix gates much but I'm sure one of them is similar enough.

My advice would be to ditch the precision drive at first and just see how close you can get with the helix alone. Once you get close with that then you can sort out adding the external pedals. I'd go tubescreamer, gate, 5150, IR, and I usually throw eq block in front and at the end of the chain.

Three wildly different rhythm tones there. Tesseract uses the FAS Modern amp model with a mid/gain boost in front into a V30 cab. There is no direct analog on Helix, but my suggestion would be to start with the Archon. Also, they coil tap their pickups for a spankier tone with all rhythms.

Meshuggah uses a buttload of different things through their career, but the Badonk model with a V30 cab should help get you there.

Periphery likes 5150 and Friedman sims, so dial either one of those up and pair it with the XXL V30 cab. If you go with the 5150, be sure to stick a Tube Screamer in front with the gain almost off.

Thanks guys, very informative. It's sounding better already.

Not quite my thing.. but have you tried the Archon amps? They might do they job for you.

This right here......I think the Archon is the best preamp in the Helix! 

Afer some experimentation, I am inclined to agree.

Hard to help, because there is no such thing like "modern metal" tone :) What kind of music do you play? What kind of pickups do you have? How many strings do you play?

Stock amps are great, but you can achieve very different tone characters by using custom IRs (like Ownhammer, or for 30 quid you can purchase Mishas Zilla IR pack which is optimized for "modern metal"). 

For my Ibanez M80 (with Lundgren pickup), Archon works great, boosted it with 808 pedal and a custom IR.

I disagree. There is a distinct difference between the older school high gain sounds and the super tight, boosted sound more modern bands tend to use.

Some presets I've made might steer you in the right direction:

http://bit.ly/Bulbous - Based on a Sweetwater interview of Misha Mansoor's gear from last year

http://bit.ly/FullMetalPack - Just a bunch of Metal presets with snaps for different styles

http://bit.ly/TheAmbientPack - Title says it all

and if they don't, they're free, won't hurt to try

• 3 months later...
On 2/9/2018 at 2:02 PM, obrieri said:

So, I've managed to wrangle together a high gain tone that I really like and I've gotten really close to the milton cleans but I can't get them quite right. I don't know what it is, they either sound too thin or almost there but lacking in the "brilliance" that I usually hear from that sort of thing. Any ideas?

I've spent close to 6 months working on metal tones. I started out using the Line 6 Elektrik but found it was way too gain-ey. Then I moved onto the Peavey Panama which I used for maybe 3 months but found it too scooped. I've settled on the Friedman and haven't looked back. To me, it's the perfect high gain amp since I like brit style crunch. Also, it's the amp model that Periphery used on P3. I found the tone I like by turning the gain way down to about 2, boosting mids, treble, presence to around 7, playing a tube screamer OD infront with gain=0, tone and level around 8.5, and some notch EQ'ing with like 3 parametric EQ's at the end of the chain.

2 hours ago, ronballlllls said:

I've spent close to 6 months working on metal tones. I started out using the Line 6 Elektrik but found it was way too gain-ey. Then I moved onto the Peavey Panama which I used for maybe 3 months but found it too scooped. I've settled on the Friedman and haven't looked back. To me, it's the perfect high gain amp since I like brit style crunch. Also, it's the amp model that Periphery used on P3. I found the tone I like by turning the gain way down to about 2, boosting mids, treble, presence to around 7, playing a tube screamer OD infront with gain=0, tone and level around 8.5, and some notch EQ'ing with like 3 parametric EQ's at the end of the chain.

Agree, BE100 stole the whole metal show :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2018 at 12:26 PM, ronballlllls said:

Turns out I prefer the Elektrik for rhythm tones but the Friedman for leads. Thank god for A/B splits and snapshots.