Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Backing up/Exporting issues

themetallikid

So I updated to the new firmware fine, havent had a chance much to play, just updating my presets a bit......but

During the installation process, and when trying to create a new Setlist for gig tomorrow/today (damn its late already)....I get Error Code 8606.  Can't find what that is referring to.  

I get it when I try to do a total backup....also when I try to just copy/paste presets from one setlist to another.

You've got one or more corrupted presets. Backup your setlists one at a time until you identify the setlist(s) that fail, then export 5 or 10 presets at a time until you narrow it down. When you find the culprit, delete it and you should be good to go! For me it was one of the Fremen presets. I re-imported it later and it was fine, so who knows what I did to mess it up.

So I updated to the new firmware fine, havent had a chance much to play, just updating my presets a bit......but

During the installation process, and when trying to create a new Setlist for gig tomorrow/today (damn its late already)....I get Error Code 8606.  Can't find what that is referring to.  

I get it when I try to do a total backup....also when I try to just copy/paste presets from one setlist to another.

Does the backup fail or does it succeed but with an error? Sounds like this you own the new HX Effects device?  If so, I think it is a known bug that some other users have been reporting. Might be worth opening a ticket with Line6. Not a great option but maybe you can get by with backing up the presets individually until they issue a fix or workaround by exporting the presets rather than a setlist. You can do them in bulk by highlighting them all and hitting the "Export" link. If that fails try grabbing half your list and retrying, rinse and repeat halving the number of presets you export until it succeeds. That may help you localize the problem to a specific preset that is causing the problem if that is even the issue. That method worked in the past for people who were having issues with corrupt presets. I think this however is more likely an issue with a bug fix that is required for the Editor or firmware specific to the HX Effects device.

You may have already done this but here is a potential workaround for preset copy and paste: I am curious, for one of the presets that is failing when you try to copy and past between setlists. Are you able to export that preset and then import it in the target destination in the other setlist? That might be your best bet rather than cut & paste until a bugfix or the full-featured version of the Editor for the HX Effects comes out .  Slated for release by Line6 in the Spring.

Here is another link this issue has been popping up in: http://line6.com/support/topic/31555-hx-effects-faq/?hl=8606&do=findComment&comment=243580

I'll have to try the 'minimizing' the amount I'm trying to backup at a time.  What I've done so far is the File - Backup (this gets about 7% through the last step and then gets the error), and Export a single setlist (setlist 2), also copy Setlist 2 > past to Setlist 3.  I can copy/paste individual presets and no issues on the presets I do use...so, I may just have to play around and see where I run into the block....

I am using an LT, not the HX Effects only version.  The update went fine without any hitches and no issues with sound at all.  

One other thing I noticed...based off someone elses suggestion (dont remember who sorry) I inverted the polarity of my EXP 2 (Mission Engineering pedal used for Wah) so that toe down is auto-engaged on/off at 97%.  This also required the min/max settings to be backwards.  There was some special sauce that intended the auto engage to work with the heel down, so by inverting the polarity, it applied that 'sauce' to the toe down method.  After the update, I had to revert those settings of polarity/min/max settings back to their regular settings...that was the only quirk I noticed from the update for me. 

I am using an LT, not the HX Effects only version.  The update went fine without any hitches and no issues with sound at all.  

Interesting, this is the first report I personally have seen of this occurring on an LT. You should open a ticket with Line6. This may be a more widespread issue then it initially appeared and no longer appears to be specific to the HX Effects device. If I had to hazard a guess it makes me suspect even more strongly that it may be related to how specific presets may be interacting with the new Editor. Not that the presets are corrupt but that something in the code is not being handled properly. Not enough information to go on yet though. Would be helpful as mentioned earlier if you could nail this down to a specific preset causing the problem and provide that to Line6. Of course, they may be aware of it already and working on a fix as we speak.

• 1 year later...

I get the same error code. Some presets even look corrupt (after importing them into the setlist). They have half a name, or a few characters. I can work around that and clean things up. I have all the actual presets and the setlists they came from. (Some were purchased setlists.) My issue is there is no way to delete the setlist with corrupt presets from the Helix. Since I tried everything twice, I now have two setlist areas full of set lists I can't delete. I can't import a different setlist into the area either. It just crashes and gives me a long list of error codes (if connect to a PC). The actual Helix screen goes blank. So, if I do it without a PC, it just goes blank. It allowed me to renamed the setlists (without the PC), but I can't delete the renamed setlists or import another setlist in either of the two "corrupt" setlists. Any advice would be appreciated. I am running the latest firmware.  

I am attaching a screenshot of the error that appears when trying to load the Factory 2 Setlist where the corrupt setlist is.

(Note I am unable to paste a blank preset into any other the corrupt preset areas. If that worked, I would not have any problems.)

screenshot of error message during trying to load a setlist.png

By the way, I could not load a backup. I thought that might overwrite the corrupt setlists.

The fix? I ended up resetting the Helix (holding down switches 7 and 8 on startup). I then loaded various setlists to test them out. I was glad all the IRs were still there.

I will eventually roll my own patches, but I've been using the downloaded patches to get a better understanding of the functionality of the Helix. I gained a quick understanding of the benefit of snapshots only because some of the downloads used them. There are also a few sounds I would not know how to create (e.g., I discovered one required 4 stacked effects).

Hope my situation will benefit someone else in the future.

after last night, I'm convinced the issue is HX Edit and/or some combination of OS on computers.  I had a corrupt preset or two a month ago or so... and started a ticket with L6.  Their troubleshooting resulted in them offering a return ticket to send it in.  Not possible with 8 shows in November/December each.  Just can't do it.  

So I stumbled on a thread that someone else had where they had a solution I would use as a final attempt to solve it.  IT WORKED!!   Removed corrupted presets and allowed me to finish setting up my setlist/libraries as I like them.  It has been great, flawless, perfect again.....

UNTIL LAST NIGHT...

So as I'm resuming the creation of my song specfic presets (and then copy/pasting them into a Live Setlist order).  I am pulling the 'core sounds' from Setlist 1, then pasting into Setlist 2 (Master Song Library 1) as a song specific/snapshot designed preset, then copy/pasting that into Setlist 4 for Live Setlist Use.  That way when we do a new setlist I can pull perfect song presets from a master library (I babble...and digress...).......However....last night while copy/pasting a single preset between setlists, I got an error and thought OH NO, its happening again.  I decided I'll skip all the trouble shooting and close HX Edit, restart Helix and try again.....same result.  Now I'm convinced I have a corrupt preset....so I do 'half' of the original solution, which was to just reinstall HX Edit.  I did that, restarted Helix again.....and same result.  Now I'm thinking for sure its a corrupt preset.  I disconnect from laptop, restart Helix, and am able to finish my preset creation and setlist copy/pasting on Helix perfectly fine.

No issues.  I then resume the editing of my song specific presets in HX Edit and saving only into the Setlist that I'm working in (master song library 1).  Today I will then use Helix to 'save' it into a different setlist for my Live Use.  

I'm convinced at this point there is an issue between HX EDIT and USB/Computer/Helix memory communication.  In my head, I'm for sure not a programmer or software nut, but I use a lot of Microsoft Word/Excel at work....that involves lots of copy/pasting....and at times the clipboard will become full and i'll be given a warning or choice to clear it out.  I wonder if something similar is happening with Helix/HX Edit or any other buffers.  I'd imagine there is a temporary memory in Helix for copy/paste where it stores/shuffles blocks/presets with that feature.  Maybe that temporary memory is getting used up with edits or copy pastes and only certain actions will clear it out and allow normal communication again...just a thought, probably a wrong one.  

But from now on, any cross setlist saving will be done on Helix directly.

I think your hunch about "HX Edit and USB/Computer/Helix memory communication" could be correct. I don't believe I had a "corrupt" preset. I was able to load all of the presets later successfully. They all work fine.

The method I used initially, when I had the problem, was to drag the preset (actually a group of presets) from the Windows File Explorer window directly to the Helix. When I was dragging multiple presets, which worked fine for 95% of the files, a few of the presets did not copy correctly to the Helix, so the Setlist became corrupt. (I was copying a lot of presets, say 10 at a time, all to the same Setlist, with the intent of filling up all the slots.)

So, one suggestion is to use the "Import" feature in HX Edit when importing presets. Avoid the drag and drop from File Explorer to be safe, especially with multiple files. Most of the time, drag and drop works, but the one time it does not work correctly will result in a catastrophe. It would make sense that there could be some type of buffer that has filled up that interferes with the drag and drop working correctly.

Another suggestion, which I believe may be even safer, is to use "File->Import Preset" command in HX Edit. There is some chance that is cleaner than the Import button.

Finally, I agree the safest option appears to be working directly on the Helix. I did use that approach at first to make some progress. That did become tedious, so I finally resorted back to using the laptop. 

I owned a couple POD 2.0s, an HD500, still own an HD500x, still own a Spider V, etc., so I am very proficient at "deep editing" using a computer. However, I am definitely proceeding with caution as I continue using HX Edit, especially to copy presets.   

Yeah the editing of the actual preset wasnt bad...the only thing that I run into when creating the song specific (snapshot versions) is I have a few Dual Amp Templates where I have a Rhythm 1/Lead 1/Rhythm 2/Lead 2 for 4 snapshots.  I dont always need those 4 sounds out of a Dual Amp preset so I'll have to copy/paste a snapshot from one slot to another....I could not find where to do that in the menus.