Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Assign expression pedal question

rsvette12

I know I asked this before but thought I would add more info to help with question - here goes

Hi Guys:

Luv my Mixcraft but have a question - bought Helix Native but does not support true midi assignments yet - how can I get an automation lane to control the pitch whammy portion of a preset in helix preset

Its Gilmour "The Blue" pitch change I am trying to pull off - I have a rig kontrol 3 with an expression pedal which I use for volume and have another moog to use for pitch shift or whammy effects

Anyway to back door the whammy effects until has full support - it has 16 knobs and 16 switches in Helix plugin to use at the moment so may be able to do it for now

Here is a ref pic - thanks

mix.jpg

If Mixcraft allows you to "draw in" automation via mouse or an external controller, all should work if you assign a "Knob" to your Wah block within Helix Native (as described in the manual), and you then select that same Knob number to control in an automation lane within Mixcraft.

Its my understanding that its currently only a "Write/Read" automation control situation with Helix Native parameter control, rather than "real-time" MIDI control.

• Upvote 1

I may have figured out what makes this dilemma tick :) I am not sure the process order but getting closer have to do it more to prove out swells or wah and pitch I would have to delete one of my pedals - play with that tomorrow night - day job days are long not much time to play with my Helix :) my second pedal is controlling (master volume of DAW) fyi

Anyway I could not get volume to work thought that was the easiest thing to try to do and figured it out so I will report back to see if I can get a pitch control to work - also the guitar layer needs to be armed fyi if you want to record it with the given midi choice - in this case it was volume

Not sure how it will work in other DAW's only have mixcraft

midi_setup_1.jpg

If I get the hang of it and I get wah / pitch to work I will post screenshots of process 

After looking at this a bit more it appears there needs to be more commands which will be created by Line6 I hope - see screenshot - notice only a few things you can do I will bet thats all you can do right now but will try pitch shift tomorrow night

Bet these are place holders for the future update

midi_setup_2.jpg

After looking at this a bit more it appears there needs to be more commands which will be created by Line6 I hope - see screenshot - notice only a few things you can do I will bet thats all you can do right now but will try pitch shift tomorrow night

Bet these are place holders for the future update

midi_setup_2.jpg

I use Ableton and those parameters are active in my DAW and I'm able to use automation to control.   Two things left to make this AWESOME.  Change presets and assign an expression pedal.

I use Ableton and those parameters are active in my DAW and I'm able to use automation to control.   Two things left to make this AWESOME.  Change presets and assign an expression pedal.

You got it I am done messing around as you can see its waiting time - going to be awesome when we get expression pedals working - Helix Native blows the rest of them out of the water - raised my guitar playing to a whole new level along with fremen presets  

Its day and night with those presets they are stunning - at least pick up the big pack you will thank me - its scary good

You got it I am done messing around as you can see its waiting time - going to be awesome when we get expression pedals working - Helix Native blows the rest of them out of the water - raised my guitar playing to a whole new level along with fremen presets  

Its day and night with those presets they are stunning - at least pick up the big pack you will thank me - its scary good

Where can I find the presets?  What style of music do they work for?  Do they have built in snapshots ?  At least I can automate those :) 

https://fremenpresets.com/downloads/big-pack-helix/

There is a mega pack also - was worth every penny - its truly amazing but keep in mind not sure how these will sound on a strat - I have a Alex Lifeson Les Paul and they rock BIG TIME

I bought the big pack should have got the mega pack after hearing these presets mega pack is about 120$ us dollars not cheap but like I said its a whole different world than the stock stuff

===================================================

Why I mention guitar you have is because I bought Marco patch for Pink Floyd (Not David) but he made them with a strat and not sounding quite right with my Les Paul - so pay attention to what guitar hes using in his videos for the patch you are interested in 

http://www.marcofanton.it/helix-patches.html

===============================================

Havent tried all of the Fremen presets yet big Gilmour fan and there is a bunch - the few I did try non floyd are stunning also 

==================================================

If you buy them read how to install the IR's its easy but have to be put in the correct numbered slot so they match up with the presets - they go in slot 72 then beyond

Another thing you can drag them into slots not load them 1 by 1 unless you drag more than there is enough room to put them - meaning you will have to use another user bank to put the rest of them theres a bunch in the packs - depending on which one you buy

======================================

If you buy them and need help installing them just ask also purchase is instant no waiting

Oh yes Freman has snaphots for each song - rhythm - lead etc. for each song

By the way Soundog - that blue cat was useless 

Sorry it didn't work out for you, rsvette, but at least they have a demo so no money wasted. After line 6 implements MIDI control, all should be golden (preset select via MIDI would also be awesome). And I agree, the Fremen presets are excellent!

• Upvote 1

I don't see any reason why expression pedal do not work in Ableton while works under every host I tried. 
Midi program changes would be nice but can be overrided using daw/host plugin preset changing (possible in Reaper). Anyway if switching presets make audio gap their use is limited.
"needs more command here" - what exactly? I miss only "delay tap"
Multiple knobs and switches assigment would also be nice eg to switch beetwen wah and whammy having only one expression pedal avialable or to switch "multistomp" built of separate blocks. First example can not be replaced by snapshot.
Guys at Line6 know HxN plugin has to be as "preset compatible" to hardware as possible.

Cool. I'll check them out.  I have a Gretsch Tim Armstrong model with TV Jones Super Tron and Duo iron pickups

You should be good to go with that guitar and Fremen presets :) get it fast  :)

Thanks Soundog - pedal implementation should be awesome - imagine having talk box like in floyd "keep talking" song

https://fremenpresets.com/downloads/big-pack-helix/

There is a mega pack also - was worth every penny - its truly amazing but keep in mind not sure how these will sound on a strat - I have a Alex Lifeson Les Paul and they rock BIG TIME

I bought the big pack should have got the mega pack after hearing these presets mega pack is about 120$ us dollars not cheap but like I said its a whole different world than the stock stuff

===================================================

Why I mention guitar you have is because I bought Marco patch for Pink Floyd (Not David) but he made them with a strat and not sounding quite right with my Les Paul - so pay attention to what guitar hes using in his videos for the patch you are interested in 

http://www.marcofanton.it/helix-patches.html

===============================================

Havent tried all of the Fremen presets yet big Gilmour fan and there is a bunch - the few I did try non floyd are stunning also 

If you buy them read how to install the IR's its easy but have to be put in the correct numbered slot so they match up with the presets - they go in slot 72 then beyond

Another thing you can drag them into slots not load them 1 by 1 unless you drag more than there is enough room to put them - meaning you will have to use another user bank to put the rest of them theres a bunch in the packs - depending on which one you buy

======================================

If you buy them and need help installing them just ask also purchase is instant no waiting

Oh yes Freman has snaphots for each song - rhythm - lead etc. for each song

So I grabbed the pack you recommended as well as the add on pack and acoustic dealio.  Curious why his presets are so quiet.  How do I get them the same volume as others to match input?   I have plenty of input on my mixer...but if I raise the input in the plug in I get noise.   Any thoughts ?

So I grabbed the pack you recommended as well as the add on pack and acoustic dealio.  Curious why his presets are so quiet.  How do I get them the same volume as others to match input?   I have plenty of input on my mixer...but if I raise the input in the plug in I get noise.   Any thoughts ?

He stated they are on the low volume side - just raise the volume on the amp head

Also you can get equalizer apo that will make your computer sound way better and you can use an addon that makes it even better and easier to work with called peters peace gui addon

You need to load APO 1.2 first then peace and use that to make your changes to your sound settings - its awesome and free - my sound overall was not very loud and quality was not the greatest now its great

There is plenty of videos on this on youtube - enjoy it great

APO 1.2 download

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/equalizer_apo_64_bit.html

Petes gui

https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/

• Upvote 1

He stated they are on the low volume side - just raise the volume on the amp head

Also you can get equalizer apo that will make your computer sound way better and you can use an addon that makes it even better and easier to work with called peters peace gui addon

You need to load APO 1.2 first then peace and use that to make your changes to your sound settings - its awesome and free - my sound overall was not very loud and quality was not the greatest now its great

There is plenty of videos on this on youtube - enjoy it great

APO 1.2 download

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/equalizer_apo_64_bit.html

Petes gui

https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/

I run mine though an interface taking my MAC out of the equation.  

I don't see any reason why expression pedal do not work in Ableton while works under every host I tried. 

Midi program changes would be nice but can be overrided using daw/host plugin preset changing (possible in Reaper). Anyway if switching presets make audio gap their use is limited.

"needs more command here" - what exactly? I miss only "delay tap"

Multiple knobs and switches assigment would also be nice eg to switch beetwen wah and whammy having only one expression pedal avialable or to switch "multistomp" built of separate blocks. First example can not be replaced by snapshot.

Guys at Line6 know HxN plugin has to be as "preset compatible" to hardware as possible.

Sorry it didn't work out for you, rsvette, but at least they have a demo so no money wasted. After line 6 implements MIDI control, all should be golden (preset select via MIDI would also be awesome). And I agree, the Fremen presets are excellent!

Hi Guys:

I may have been wrong kind of thanks for all the help - I dont like to give up :) 

I got expression pedal working to shift a pitch by applying a knob 16 to the pitch - it worked but when the pedal is all the way at heel no tone of the preset before you go to pitch up otherwise works great and would assume a wah would be a no brainer have to look into this more

The kind youtube creater AC30 creates great Gilmour presets is using a variax maybe that has something to do with it not sure

Well off to play some more see how wah works and see if i can get snaphots to switch, have plenty of them on my rig kontrol 3

That's what the pros use for audio.  ;)

Out of my price range after buying new Corvette Z06 :)

Can you explain what do you mean by "when the pedal is all the way at heel no tone of the preset before you go to pitch up"? I am sorry but english is not my mother tongue.

When you play guitar there is no tone if the pedal is all the way up - if I start to push the pedal down I then get the pitch i am looking for so if there is no guitar tone before I push pedal its out of key

If the pedal is all the way up no sound at all - hope this helps haven't looked into it more - looking for a good EQ VST  

When you play guitar there is no tone if the pedal is all the way up - if I start to push the pedal down I then get the pitch i am looking for so if there is no guitar tone before I push pedal its out of key

If the pedal is all the way up no sound at all - hope this helps haven't looked into it more 

So maybe you have it connected both as analog volume pedal and expression pedal to some midi device? David Gilmour misconnected input and output of wah and discovered seagull effect ;)

• Upvote 1