Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looking for experience with external looper control from Helix

MartinDorr

Looking for feedback/advice from anyone having hooked up an iPhone or iPd running one of the many SW loopers via USB and controlling the looper functions with Helix foot switches sending MIDI. Should work in principle, but don’t want to spend a lot of time programming this in some way and find out later that there is a much better one.

Ideal would be something that kind of works like the built-in looper, except the switches would control the extended features of an external looper.

Also thought of getting a 4-button Bluetooth MIDI foot controller as an alternative, but if Helix can do it conveniently, why spend extra money for something that’s not very sturdy, only runs on batteries, and is another item that can break or get lost?

I've goofed around with a lot of loopers over the years including many IOS apps and plugins (Ableton Looper etc) using various Bluetooth and USB pedals.

In the end, I swear, get the Ditto X4 and put it in your chain. Saves a lot of trying to get clever mapping midi and ultimately hoping something as flakey as iPad app will cut it for you. I saw one posted on $125 on craigslist recently so bargain if you can get one there. Will save loops. Has bunches of effects. You won't be needlessly wearing away at the Helix buttons and thing is the best looper I've ever used (has midi DIN on it too for BPM sync).

Less, is definitely more

• 1 month later...

I got a One Control Basilisk MIDI pedal controlling the Looper without having to turn on the looper page. It's not perfect, but it works really well. I can start record, hit play to stop recording and hit stop. Only have 4 buttons so I can't access the other settings but I don't need that.

Not using it anymore (went back to a Boomerang hardware looper and could never go back), but I gigged for a year or so with Mobius, a well-established and solid looper for PC and Mac.  And for iPhone/iPad I've used Loopy quite a bit and its pretty solid and bug free. Fully MIDI controllable, so would work with Helix.