Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Oh No - HX Effects Boot Error

regalpierot

Had the unit a week, been falling in love with it a little more every day. This evening switched it on and on startup it fails to boot. I get

SS = Scribble Strip

SS1 = Line 6 Logo

SS2 = HX EFFECTS

SS3 = Firmware Version 2.50.0

SS4 = Blank

SS5 = Boot Failure: res = -28

SS6 = DSP Init

Just stops there. Afraid to init in case I love the presets I've built over the past two days but havent backed up.

Anyone else seen this?

You could always repeat the update. Since it does it in place as long as you do NOT do a global reset you might be up and running again with your current presets. You probably already tried this but the first thing you want to make sure of is that the USB cable is not plugged in when you turn on the device. You can go to https://helixhelp.com/reset-options/ and try one of the reset options there that do NOT wipe your presets like the "Safe Boot Mode" and then try a restart again. Sometimes it can be a problem preset and using the reset option for "Clear Current Preset" will work but you will lose that preset permanently if you don't have it backed up. And of course, it might not help. Might be preferable to losing them all though as a next to last resort. 

Yeah, going to try the DSP reset tonight and then if I can at least get it to boot back up all my stuff and then reload the update again just in case things don't go well. Although, can you reapply an update, never tried that and some of the hardware units I have where an app senses the version on the unit (Maschine and Traktor S8) will tell you it has the latest OS so won't allow you to apply. We'll see.

I will probably open a support ticket too, someone coded that specific error to mean something so they should know. Will post any update. If anyone else you there gets the same issue please post. .

Yeah, going to try the DSP reset tonight and then if I can at least get it to boot back up all my stuff and then reload the update again just in case things don't go well. Although, can you reapply an update, never tried that and some of the hardware units I have where an app senses the version on the unit (Maschine and Traktor S8) will tell you it has the latest OS so won't allow you to apply. We'll see.

I will probably open a support ticket too, someone coded that specific error to mean something so they should know. Will post any update. If anyone else you there gets the same issue please post. .

You can reapply an update that has already been applied. I know what you mean about some devices not allowing this but the Helix and probably all the HX devices do allow it. Contacting Line6 is certainly a good alternative as well.

I opened a support ticket. Being worked on. Will post an update when I have one. Reinstalled Firmware, unit seemed to boot fine in testing but dreaded -28 at a gig over the weekend and multiple reboots (the usual only remedy) did nothing so had to go effect-less. Eeesh.

I will say, that this issue aside, I absolutely adore the HX Effects.Amazing unit

I've sent mine back to Line 6. They are sending me a replacement. Top support, really responsive and helpful and didn't hesitate in swapping out. Wonder what the hell it is with just some units. Maybe a specific factory run. Got mine from a batch delivered to Sweetwater around Feb 1 or so.

Anyone else seen this?

Line-6 doesn't need this kind of PR.

I don't own one, but if I were in the market for this unit, this might steer me away from buying one.

My take is this is what happens when release dates become more important than QA testing.

A bit harsh? Maybe. Or maybe I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking.  ;)

• Upvote 1

Line-6 doesn't need this kind of PR.

I don't own one, but if I were in the market for this unit, this might steer me away from buying one.

My take is this is what happens when release dates become more important than QA testing.

A bit harsh? Maybe. Or maybe I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking. ;)

This!!

I disagree. Sweet water sold out of the units, very few complaints about this issue, that means lots of happy customers. As a developer, I know my team would never want to release a product unless if were bulletproof but thats why businesses have other teams that know users are waiting, problems can be fixed, and revenue is what keeps things flowing. G;ad they released when they did. But really what I agree in is the PR side, I've had plenty of manufacturers who have been unresponsive, given minimal things to try and basically just dropped even trying to fix things in the past. Line 6 replied almost immediately, gave me lots of options to try, and when they failed didn't hesitate in issuing an RMA and talking care of shipping. That's what you want in your company, that they are great when things are not going so well 

Line-6 doesn't need this kind of PR.

I don't own one, but if I were in the market for this unit, this might steer me away from buying one.

A bit harsh? Maybe. Or maybe I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking.  ;)

It's only bad PR if companies aren't responsive to issues... There isn't a company making anything electronic that doesn't have to deal with problems. Line 6 has been so responsive to issues, it's actually been surprising to me to see the lengths they've gone to recently. Frank Ritchotte replies to people almost immediately on Facebook posts about issues, even on the weekends. I've seen them overnight replacement units to people, even people overseas... I simply don't see other companies doing that sort of thing.

One lighting controls manufacturer I work with has a sign up in their headquarters that says, "I guarantee your roof will leak. I guarantee we will fix it." The owner tells the story of dealing with a roofing contractor that told him that when they were building their facility. That's the right attitude to take towards this stuff. There are going to be issues. What matters is how companies deal with them.

It's only bad PR if companies aren't responsive to issues...

Sure they will fix it as always, but that wasn't my point. I appreciate that our roofs don't leak, but I'm not so simple minded that I believe its always a bad shingle. 

There's no good excuse for bad decision making, and IF (notice the caps on IF) Line-6 rushed HX out the door before it was ready then that's exactly what it was, a bad decision.  I have no idea if that was the case, and neither do any of you besides maybe DI or Tony... That's why I said,"IF"... Good shingles won't fix a bad roof job Phil.   ;)

Please don't try to tell me that fixing things later means it's a good thing to release things that are not ready now, just to meet contractual timeframes and agreements.

In today's Fd up world that may be the norm, and It may be what it is, but that to "me" never makes it a good thing for the customer no matter how long they have to wait.

As always YMMV and that's ok.  Please remind me I said this on the next major Helix update that's not come out yet!  :D

• Upvote 1

Sure they will fix it as always, but that wasn't my point. I appreciate that our roofs don't leak, but I'm not so simple minded that I believe its always a bad shingle.

There's no good excuse for bad decision making, and IF (notice the caps on IF) Line-6 rushed HX out the door before it was ready then that's exactly what it was, a bad decision. I have no idea if that was the case, and neither do any of you besides maybe DI or Tony... That's why I said,"IF"... Good shingles won't fix a bad roof job Phil. ;)

Please don't try to tell me that fixing things later means it's a good thing to release things that are not ready now, just to meet contractual timeframes and agreements.

In today's Fd up world that may be the norm, and It may be what it is, but that to "me" never makes it a good thing for the customer no matter how long they have to wait.

As always YMMV and that's ok. Please remind me I said this on the next major Helix update that's not come out yet! :D

It certainly wasn’t rushed out the door... It’s been in development for years. I saw mock-ups for it around the time the Helix was first released. I’ve known they were aiming to release it at Winter NAMM 2018 since the previous Winter NAMM.

If anything, they held back on releasing it as fast as dealers wanted.

It certainly wasn’t rushed out the door... It’s been in development for years.

So are automobiles Phil, and yet there are all kinds of recalls from Airbags to brake failures on "Major" brands of vehicles from companies that have been around a century or so. To me, the all mighty dollar controls the mindset (and release times) on this and that's where the problem lies, and unfortunately its an unchangeable and unfixable concept. Sigh... Oh well, so all we have left is, let them fix it "after" the purchase eh? If that's all we have left (and it is), then ok, but I don't have to like it.  :)

• Upvote 1

So are automobiles Phil, and yet there are all kinds of recalls from Airbags to brake failures on "Major" brands of vehicles from companies that have been around a century or so. To me, the all mighty dollar controls the mindset (and release times) on this and that's where the problem lies, and unfortunately its an unchangeable and unfixable concept. Sigh... Oh well, so all we have left is, let them fix it "after" the purchase eh? If that's all we have left (and it is), then ok, but I don't have to like it. :)

On the whole, the quality of mass produced items has been steadily improving over the years. It’s really a fallacy that “they made ‘em better back then...â€. Sure there a handful of old cars on the road, but people forget all the clunkers that came out of those old factories. Sorry, I just don’t buy into your pessimism...

On the whole, the quality of mass produced items has been steadily improving over the years.  It’s really a fallacy that “they made ‘em better back then...

Well, I was not speaking of "clunkers". Don't know what gave you that impression. When I said that they had been around for centuries, that meant that they had been in the business long enough to know better, yet they still fell into the get it out now and fix it later attitude. It's the "new" items (hardware and software) that get rushed out the door for a profit now and a "we can fix it later" attitude these days, and that was what I was referring to AND what I think is the wrong approach in nearly every instance. I do hope you agree that "approach" is wrong, even if we may differ on who does it.  

Sorry, I just don’t buy into your pessimism... 

That's ok. On this subject, I don't buy your reluctance to accept facts either if you think it doesn't happen. Oh, not that Line-6 did anything like that...  ;)

One final thought on this discussion. Just because something has been in development for years, does not always mean its ready for prime-time.

• Upvote 1

I just purchased this at a local dealer, drive 35 miles there and back, plugged it in and get THE EXACT same 6 display screens as the OP. Now I get to drive another 70 miles to return this defective paper weight.

What a total waste of time and money.

I just purchased this at a local dealer, drive 35 miles there and back, plugged it in and get THE EXACT same 6 display screens as the OP. Now I get to drive another 70 miles to return this defective paper weight.

What a total waste of time and money.

Open up a support ticket, and you'll be taken care of... There's a good chance Line 6 may be able to ship you a replacement, saving you a trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Same here, I just submitted a ticket. Many facebook users on the groups have exactly the same message, some have had units replaced to discover the same error. Hopefully something that can be resolved in the firmware.

• 1 month later...

I’ve just picked up a replacement HX as the first one kept doing this after being on 40 minutes, this new one is doing the same. Just done all the updates 30 mins ago and it hasn’t done it since so fingers crossed. In 2 minds whether to just get a refund because I’ve got an 8 week tour coming up and if it goes lollipop up mid tour I’m screwed....

On 4/18/2018 at 12:58 PM, Jon_Sud said:

I’ve just picked up a replacement HX as the first one kept doing this after being on 40 minutes, this new one is doing the same.

Well, I would comment on that initial release again but it would just be deemed more pessimism... Cant call a POS a POS these days without it seeming negative to some. ; )

Just done all the updates 30 mins ago and it hasn’t done it since so fingers crossed.

Good and I hope it fixed the issues for you.

Now I understand your "shingles flying off the roof" comment on my HXFX post last week spikey. I must be honest and clear- there was nothing wrong with my HXFX- it was my PC. Both GC & L6 have both been very nice to me and I have zero complaints. I'll be 60 in June & the first to admit that all this technical stuff is hard but I love my new LT and give me some time & I'll be blowin' their faces off on gigs. 

In retrospect I think the FX is great idea, maybe a few bugs to work out but here to stay I hope. 

If I can ever help anyone here I'm more than willing to share any experience I've had, good or bad.

14 hours ago, patdixon said:

In retrospect I think the FX is great idea, maybe a few bugs to work out but here to stay I hope. there was nothing wrong with my HXFX- it was my PC. 

Thanks for clarifying, and Nothing wrong with hoping it gets better either. And I hope that it becomes even more stable over the next few software updates.

But I still think (because of issues reported here by others) that it was rushed out the door via contract reasons before it was ready,  no matter how many years its been on the drawing board.  My opinion of course and that and a dollar will get you a soda (maybe).

Best of luck with your HX.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, phil_m said:

Have you installed the latest firmware?

13 hours ago, phil_m said:

Have you installed the latest firmware?

No, its 2.50.

2.54 does not install from my pc.

in the meanwhile I got it rebooted (whilst holding the two knobs at the right) and now its got even more preset sounds than before

I'm experiencing Boot Failure Res = - 28 about 50% of the time. Its been a major inconvenience. I've applied all the usual remedies of installing reinstalling firmware, finding corrupt presets, factory reboot, safe mode, etc. At this point has any of the trouble shooting tips regarding this Boot Failure issue actually resolved the issue? Or is this a bug or a bad unit?? 

Sorry to read here about another having issues with the HX. IBass, I would create a ticket for service, or return it for exchange/refund (if that's still an option) since you have already applied all of the usual remedies.

• 9 months later...

same issue here, with 2 separate units.  Boot failure Res=28, DSP Init. It will occasionally boot, but I typically have to cycle the power multiple times, like i'm playing a slot machine. Not so cool when you're setting up to play a show.

Returned the first one and exchanged for the current one, having same problem. Just submitted a ticket, but honestly wishing I could just get a refund at this point. Not inspiring confidence seeing all of these instances of the same problem from others!

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same boot failure, I find if I hold the home button down down at boot up the unit boots fine. I bought this unit a bout a year ago it has happened since I got it. I’ve just dealt with it. I‘ve updated the firmware and it still happens more regularly now it seems. The issue is disappointing because I really like the unit.. 

4 hours ago, TomEBoy6 said:

I have the same boot failure, I find if I hold the home button down down at boot up the unit boots fine. I bought this unit a bout a year ago it has happened since I got it. I’ve just dealt with it. I‘ve updated the firmware and it still happens more regularly now it seems. The issue is disappointing because I really like the unit.. 

It shouldn’t be happening. Open up a support ticket, and Line 6 will either fix it or send you a replacement.