Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

MOD: Input / Output Marks on the rear panel (Rear I/O Panel)

Chris_Zahn

Everyone likes the end result first, so here is a pic or the board standing up. (Sorry about my lollipop photography skills)

27798171_1965263156836880_85684020324275

So I've been looking at the Helix a bit over the last couple of days and one thing that stuck out to me was a lack of guides for the I/O when standing up looking at the pedal.

In a dark setting and at a show most of the time I'm leaning over my board to look at connections upside down and then having to combat faint text to work out where I'm at.

I noticed that the design of the Helix has an angled section near the top. I thought it was a bit odd that this wasn't potentially used for ease of use with respect to the back panel.

So I got to thinking.

I used a label maker I had lying around at home and purchased some neon green fluorescent cartridges for it.

Then, I printed a few copies of each section (adjusting the spacing if need). The method behind this was to be able to separate each section so that the 'boarder line' were in line with where the input/outputs would roughly be.

Once all of them were done it as just a matter of sticking them in the order I preferred and now its much easier to deal with plugging everything I need in.

Here are some photos in a dark and light setting.

I hope it helps or inspires someone.

- Zahn

27747999_1965263260170203_85962974310291

27787985_1965263203503542_24871301676010

27788472_1965263323503530_15211924412447

27710328_1965263533503509_55066264398545

27798315_1965263020170227_57543510555584

• Upvote 1

No worries at all Dennis!

I also have Luminlay's in the bass; so the little UV torch works great on the markings :)

This is a great idea.  I am bending over and lifting my HELIX as well during dark setups trying not to fumble.  Thanks for the idea!!

Dennis

I went for a subtle approach a while back. I figured I just needed To be able to read it without having to pick up the unit.

20180212_124338.jpg

I like that heaps Miles! I wanted to do the same but I couldnt find any clear cartridges for my laber maker :(

Id love it if Line 6 maybe released something that looked in line with the boards asthetics. Would be cool if they also made the lines/font glow in the dark but im just clutching straws here now hahahah!

Thanks for the pic bro <3

I use the same method on my analog board - never thought to apply it to the Helix. Thanks for posting!

You're welcome Trend. The angled lip on the top is perfect for it and the design options are left to you imagination.

An example: When i go on tour I work out my I/O routing before I leave and then Ill swap the green tabs for fluro pink (like the power). That way there is less confusion :)

I like that heaps Miles! I wanted to do the same but I couldnt find any clear cartridges for my laber maker :(

Id love it if Line 6 maybe released something that looked in line with the boards asthetics. Would be cool if they also made the lines/font glow in the dark but im just clutching straws here now hahahah!

Thanks for the pic bro <3

It's actually White Text on Black Tape.   I believe they do make glow in the dark too.

You're welcome Trend. The angled lip on the top is perfect for it and the design options are left to you imagination.

An example: When i go on tour I work out my I/O routing before I leave and then Ill swap the green tabs for fluro pink (like the power). That way there is less confusion :)

That's a great idea to be prepared with the I/O routing before a tour.  Probably makes setups a whole lot easier! 

I work for a graphics/printing company.......thinking I might design a one piece, low tac adhesive decal and run it with the next available job.  Pics to follow only if it turns out nice.   :)

That's a great idea to be prepared with the I/O routing before a tour.  Probably makes setups a whole lot easier! 

I work for a graphics/printing company.......thinking I might design a one piece, low tac adhesive decal and run it with the next available job.  Pics to follow only if it turns out nice.   :)

I'd be so keen to see that! You can also donate any 'not quite right' versions ;)

I started doing this yesterday. 

What are you going to do for your board, dude?

I'd be so keen to see that! You can also donate any 'not quite right' versions ;)

What are you going to do for your board, dude?

The Helix LT is going to be mounted in a flight case w/ couple of external pedals. Everything will stay in place &  connected except the outputs which is really where the labels will help. Still piecing it together. I'll post pics when it's done.

If it turns out well you could probably sell these online.

If it turns out well you could probably sell these online.

That would be cool - the profits would fund the next Helix.   :D

Now I'm thinking about how I should make it - I can print white ink on clear vinyl.  But the Helix and Line 6 logos would interfere.  So maybe black background with white ink - certain parts (Guitar in, Send and Return 1, Mono 1/4 out, Midi Out, Mic In and XLR Mono out) would probably have color coded backgrounds since they are the most used I/O's for me.  Too bad I can't print fluorescent colors.  Should be a fun project!    

• Upvote 1

I don't understand why Line6 didn't put extra labelling there where you can read it without lying on the floor. The pod HD500 has this extra labelling. But maybe the thought it doesn't look nice... :rolleyes:

I guess if Line 6 did something that looked original it would suit nicely. Beggar's cant be choosers though, I guess :P 

I do this too. Black tape with white letters. The angle is perfect.

I'd be keen to see your results! :)

Great labeling ideas! Time to bust out the Brother P-Touch Label machine and put it to good use.  

'Brother P-Touch' sounds like a great preset name  :lol: