Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amplifi 30 - failed software update

graemerogers

I've been trying most of the afternoon to update the software to 2.6 on my new Amplifi 30 on a PC.  I have installed the Line 6 Driver and the Updater v1.12.

When I first loaded the Update v1.09 was what seemed to be billed as the most up to date version, but on first opening the updater there was a message saying there was a newer version, so I updated to that.

I just keep getting a message telling me the update to 2.6 has failed, and the Line 6 advice is to hold the Tone Select and Tap buttons whilst rebooting the amp into Update Mode. This seems to make no difference at all, and I'm getting the same update failure messages.

I've also tried different USB ports in the PC, again no difference.

I had also disabled the Windows Defender Smartscreen as advised before trying the updates.

The amp is now in recovery mode and seems to be unusable.  The advice in the FAQs if this happens is to complete the update, which is like a bad joke given that's what caused the problem in the first place.

I have read that some have been able to use Bluetooth to do the update, but now the remote app can't seem to see the amp, so it looks like I am stuck with an unusable amp.  

Only had the amp a week and was really enjoying it, but this experience has pretty taken the shine right off things.

Anybody got any ideas on what I can do to get the amp working?

Thanks in advance

Graeme 

Wish I could give you some good advice, but you've already done everything that's usually recommended. This happened to me on an Amplifi 150 that I bought used. I was on the telephone with tech support for the longest time after I hit the same skid you're in. I'm a VERY experienced hardware guy, and also very good at following instructions. Going through the procedure step-by-step produced failure-after-failure. It's ridiculous -- try a different USB port, try a different computer. I tried it with 4 computers -- how many people can do that?

In the end, I had to send it back to California at my expense. Three weeks later, it was returned to me, functional, with no explanation. I had to ask what was done to it. Oh, they just did the firmware update. As you said, the exact thing that I was trying to do. 

What's wrong with this picture? There are many stories like yours and mine on this forum. The Line 6 updater/USB combination seems to be very problematic.

You have a new unit -- get in touch with tech support and have them commit to taking care of you. Or return the amp and consider yourself all the wiser.

Good luck!

Thanks cbrillo

Going to give the Technical Support a call tomorrow - luckily I'm working from home tomorrow or I'd have to take time off work to make the call with my amp and PC to hand. 

You're right though - judging by the number of forum posts about failed software updates and associated problems, it seems to be a common issue.  To be honest, if I'd read what I'm reading now before I bought the amp, I probably would have bought something else.

• 4 weeks later...

This thread helped me. I had numerous failed attempts yesterday and today in Windows 10 on my new Amplifi 75. Went to my wife's Windows 8 Professional. It failed twice, but then I tried the Factory reset (which I had done with other laptop), and it took. We're getting to the point where most things work all the time, so when we're fussing with hardware like the good old days, we just don't have the patience for it. 

• 2 years later...

I think I have a similar problem.  I'm fairly sure that a botched firmware update left my amp brain dead.  Before the update, it worked.  Only one light (A) comes on and it won't respond to a direct USB update.  I did all the hardware resets.  nothing happened.  I'm wondering how much a firmware update costs and why it has to be sent to a technician to do the update.