Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How do you carry your Helix Rack?

fabbr

I am planing on swapping my Helix for a Helix Rack + Controller but, I have a few questions: 

1. Can the Controller fit in a rack drawer? I am guessing a 2U? 

2. How do you transport the Volume pedal? I am guessing you have another drawer just for pedals and you have to connect them at the venue you're playing at? 

3. What rack did you get and what do you have on? Drawer for cables? Patchbay? Power conditioner? 

4. Do you use a tuner plugged in the Controller in case you can't see the rack?

5. What about the g10? If you use one what do you do? another drawer? (this rack is becoming really big!) 

I am sure I am not the only one with those questions, so I believe pics would also be great!

I am planing on swapping my Helix for a Helix Rack + Controller but, I have a few questions: 

1. Can the Controller fit in a rack drawer? I am guessing a 2U? 

2. How do you transport the Volume pedal? I am guessing you have another drawer just for pedals and you have to connect them at the venue you're playing at? 

3. What rack did you get and what do you have on? Drawer for cables? Patchbay? Power conditioner? 

4. Do you use a tuner plugged in the Controller in case you can't see the rack?

5. What about the g10? If you use one what do you do? another drawer? (this rack is becoming really big!) 

I am sure I am not the only one with those questions, so I believe pics would also be great!

1 - apparently Line 6 made certain that it would fit in a rack drawer. And yes I'm pretty certain (away from the hardware at the moment) that it wouldn't fit in a 1U, but 2U should be just fine.

2 - my controller and sundries go into an 'airport' carry on rolling bag I converted inside to work well for this (and for the PODhd/Shortboard before it)

3 - I went minimal with just a 3U Gator - everything else goes into the rolly bag. Two EXP pedals, cables etc... power is from a conditioned bar that I put into the wall and run out to the rack.

4 - no, I use the rack (I don't really prefer the Control display for the tuner, but it's usable)

5 - I use a G50 for the 'go bag' and it's stored in the upper front pocket of the rolling bag. I created a clip on 'shelf' to dual-lock the receive onto which hooks to and retained on the front face of the rack box, projecting back. I should also say that I use a backward-aimed portable Ultimate amp stand to put the rack box down low but aimed up at me - that shelf for the G50 is made to sit level when it's all set up. I created some cable minding in the back to keep those from getting pinched in the process (my only edit after the first time I tried out this set-up; I struggled to keep the power and outs to house etc. out of the way before that. Now I have 'ties' which wrap around the cables before I set it down onto the amp stand.

Hope this helps in some fashion.

I really prefer the clean minimal floor aspect of using the rack/control method. I got too used to that while using my bean PODhd (butt POD - lol) tied to the shortboard and extra EXP... no audio or power going to the front except the connector cable for the controller.

The controller needs 2U. I am running a 12U rack with a Helix (3U), Kemper Profiler (3U), Compressor/Gate/Enhancer/etc. (1U), 3U rack drawer and 2U slideout shelf. The controller fits perfectly in the slideout shelf, with just a tiny bit of clearance on all sides. It also fits in the drawer but if you have a door for your rack I would highly recommend you consider a drawer, it's really neat having it slide out.

The controller needs 2U. I am running a 12U rack with a Helix (3U), Kemper Profiler (3U), Compressor/Gate/Enhancer/etc. (1U), 3U rack drawer and 2U slideout shelf. The controller fits perfectly in the slideout shelf, with just a tiny bit of clearance on all sides. It also fits in the drawer but if you have a door for your rack I would highly recommend you consider a drawer, it's really neat having it slide out.

That sounds like a great setup do you have pics of it? Also, do you use expression pedals? If you do, do you live them on the drawers and plug it in the when you get to the venue? 

The setup is pretty new, I am waiting on two pedals from Mission Engineering. I got the one with the toe switch for the Helix, and the one with the toe switch for the kemper. And yeah, I leave a Boss AD10, some cables, capos, slides, picks, and plan to store the pedals in the drawer there. I have the rack in my living room so it's for convenience and keeping it out of the way when I'm not playing. I have a controller for the Helix and have the Kemper on the Helix' Send 3 / Return 3 & 4. I only bring this up to say I think I will leave the Helix pedal with its cables in the drawer, but the Kemper pedal has to be connected to the back of the Kemper, so I will likely find a neat way to have the two cables needed for it hanging on the side of the rack in a curl so I can easily connect it fast. Let me also say I just got a Line 6 G10 Relay today so I am now wireless and it was a mindblowingly awesome experience :D

https://imgur.com/a/ZqUE2

Oh, and I lol'd when you said "venue". You have no idea the kinds of bad and undeserving of this equipment I am.  :lol:  :lol:  

• 11 months later...
On 2/12/2018 at 2:36 PM, feffa86 said:

The setup is pretty new, I am waiting on two pedals from Mission Engineering. I got the one with the toe switch for the Helix, and the one with the toe switch for the kemper. And yeah, I leave a Boss AD10, some cables, capos, slides, picks, and plan to store the pedals in the drawer there. I have the rack in my living room so it's for convenience and keeping it out of the way when I'm not playing. I have a controller for the Helix and have the Kemper on the Helix' Send 3 / Return 3 & 4. I only bring this up to say I think I will leave the Helix pedal with its cables in the drawer, but the Kemper pedal has to be connected to the back of the Kemper, so I will likely find a neat way to have the two cables needed for it hanging on the side of the rack in a curl so I can easily connect it fast. Let me also say I just got a Line 6 G10 Relay today so I am now wireless and it was a mindblowingly awesome experience :D

https://imgur.com/a/ZqUE2

Oh, and I lol'd when you said "venue". You have no idea the kinds of bad and undeserving of this equipment I am.  :lol:  :lol:  

Hello, Can you tell me where you got the 2U Sliding Rack Shelf? Hopefully they have them in 12" depth.

Thanks!

I carry mine in a standard rack. For the foot controller I use a 49 key synth case which also has enough room for the volume pedal. I did have to make a little space for it with some foam. THe case has a pocket for cables too.

I can see the tuner on either the floor unit or the rack. I like the rack tuner with the new strobe feature which is huge.

On 1/22/2019 at 9:02 AM, machuero said:

Hello, Can you tell me where you got the 2U Sliding Rack Shelf? Hopefully they have them in 12" depth.

Thanks!

I got mine from thomann in the UK, but I'm over in Europe.

You should find them easily online. Amazon has tons, but maybe someone else over there can make a better suggestion.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_15?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=2u+sliding+rack+shelf&sprefix=sliding+rack+2u%2Caps%2C285&crid=2RBRYJGHJT369&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A2u+sliding+rack+shelf

That picture is kinda old, my rack looks a little different now, but that was a really sturdy shelf. I think I paid like a 150 just for the shelf. It was pretty damn good, but I ended up not liking having the control on a shelf. Better to have it all the way down on a floor. I got a board for it. When it was on the shelf, the movement I had to do with my foot would lollipop with my playing so I couldn't use it while actually playing. It also made it difficult to time start and end points on the looper. Just mentioning it for your consideration. I'm using a more light-weight shelf further up in the rack now for pedals in the FX loop.

• Like 1