Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How can I listen to an MP3 player to the Helix LT

Tobleronelover

One method is to get a cable that winds up being two 1/4" plugs that you plug into the FX returns. So, assuming you have a "normal" mp3 player it should be a male 3.5mm stereo plug to two male 1/4" plugs. Kind of like this

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Splitter-Computer-Multimedia-Speakers/dp/B00ZKM3SHK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1518468808&sr=8-6&keywords=stereo+to+mono+adapter+1%2F4

You can also do it via USB from your computer.

I run USB from my PC/Mac also from my iPhone/Pad with a camera connection kit. USB audio comes in on USB 1/2 and you can adjust level in global settings>Ins Outs > USB 1/2 In trim. 

Using USB allows you to listen to audio without using a dedicated signal path in your preset. USB 1/2 is global. 

I run USB from my PC/Mac also from my iPhone/Pad with a camera connection kit. USB audio comes in on USB 1/2 and you can adjust level in global settings>Ins Outs > USB 1/2 In trim.

Using USB allows you to listen to audio without using a dedicated signal path in your preset. USB 1/2 is global.

Can you please post a link for the camera connection kit, as the one I purchased from eBay will only connect once and for only a few seconds, after which if stops working and flashing a message that says it's not compatible.

Thanks.

@Tobleronelover, if you use the Stereo Analog Cable method, insert an FX Return Block in your Preset's Signal Path! If you dedicate a Signal Path to your MP3 Player, you may redefine the Input Block to use the FX Return. Either way, a Gain Block in the Signal Path, makes it really easy to adjust the playback volume, and, you can assign the Expression Pedal to act as a Controller, or define a Footswitch for the Gain Block and Use Pedal Edit Mode. 

Can you please post a link for the camera connection kit, as the one I purchased from eBay will only connect once and for only a few seconds, after which if stops working and flashing a message that says it's not compatible.

Thanks.

I had a cheap generic one that stopped working a few iOS versions ago. I bought one of these and am good to go. 

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MK0W2AM-Lightning-Camera-Adapter/dp/B01F7KJDIM/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1518723166&sr=1-3&keywords=apple+lightning+camera+adapter

I had a cheap generic one that stopped working a few iOS versions ago. I bought one of these and am good to go. 

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MK0W2AM-Lightning-Camera-Adapter/dp/B01F7KJDIM/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1518723166&sr=1-3&keywords=apple+lightning+camera+adapter

Thanks for the link but that item does not ship to the UK.

That's the way I did it too, it took me longer than I'd wish to admit to find it though. Really useful though for practicing to backing tracks etc. It works great!

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, mjc009 said:

So, theoriticaly I should be able to use a USB-C to USB-B cable to connect my Android to the Helix LT?

Hmmm....you would need to get a variation of Android's "on the go" cable to tell your phone it needs to be in USB host mode.

Then it theoretically would work, but there might be a unseen hiccup.

On 10/8/2019 at 11:49 PM, Kilrahi said:

Hmmm....you would need to get a variation of Android's "on the go" cable to tell your phone it needs to be in USB host mode.

Then it theoretically would work, but there might be a unseen hiccup.

I ended up splitting the 3.5mm jack of my device to two 1/4 and used the RETURN of the FX loop. I drop a SEND/RETURN block into my second signal path to separate it from the guitar path. So far, its worked pretty well and I already had the cables. I might try and put a volume block along with so I can tweak the level from the Helix. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjc009 said:

I might try and put a volume block along with so I can tweak the level from the Helix. 

You can do that. But you can also tweak the level in the return block (or output block, when you use a seperate path)

...It's not really necessary to use a seperate path(unless you want to add own effects or EQ to your mp3 tracks). You can simply place the return block at the end of the chain.