Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dimension chorus

steelstringer

Has anyone spent some time with this legacy effect? I read about the original Roland version (and the Boss one), and I thought that it might thicken up a few presets. Right now, I have it on the #1 setting with a 20% mix, and it sounds nice. I have it as the final block in the path (it sounds really good there). I just wondered if anyone else had experimented with its placement/usage as a way to thicken a tone ( as opposed to using it as a heavy chorus effect). Thanks!

Has anyone spent some time with this legacy effect? I read about the original Roland version (and the Boss one), and I thought that it might thicken up a few presets. Right now, I have it on the #1 setting with a 20% mix, and it sounds nice. I have it as the final block in the path (it sounds really good there). I just wondered if anyone else had experimented with its placement/usage as a way to thicken a tone ( as opposed to using it as a heavy chorus effect). Thanks!

I’m with you on this one, it’s especially good for clean vocal or acoustic guitar tracks. Make it the last block in the path with setting #3 or 4. Adjust the mix to suit, usually between 20 to 30%(max), and listen to how it’s working. It’s very subtle, you don’t think it’s doing much until you turn it off, it has some kind of magic dust. AFAIK the 1 through 4 mode switches are for variations in the modulation, with number 1 being the softest. Never considered using it with overdriven sounds but, if it works for you why not - there are no rules! You can use it on whatever you like, organ, strings, synths, anything really. Some folks seem to either love it or loathe it on bass guitar though - maybe because it was done to death in the 80’s.

Well, I also use chorus mostly on clean sounds, any chorus, not just Dimension, but... chorus with a clean tone sounds like... chorus! I mean, it thickens the tone, yes, just as a chorus is supposed to, while with driven sounds the effect is quite different, it's similar to double tracking.

I prefer using the Dimension chorus after my cab/IR block usually grouped with other mod effects and before my delay/reverb. I also make sure my volume pedal is after my amp/cab blocks and before the Dimension. I do that because chorus effects mix in a delayed modulated signal and any pedal I have inline that uses delay tends to go after my volume pedal so that if I crank the volume pedal down to zero I don't cut off the delay trails. I tend to use my volume pedal for swells and to control the overall preset volume, and use the volume on my guitar for changing the signal level hitting the Helix blocks like overdrive and the amp/cab such that it controls the amount of grit or dirt and even tone to some extent.

I am beyond delighted to see the Dimension appear on the Helix. I used to own the original 'Roland DImension D' rack-mount  and it was my favorite chorus of all time - subtle and inherently musical and brain-dead simple to use. Nothing will ever replace the original but the Line6 version does a really great job and is one of my favorite additions in this update. When I need a chorus to gently color/thicken the sound this is now my go-to although the other chorus models can be set to subtler settings as well, most easily by dialing down the mix, depth, and rate. Really love this effect and they did a remarkable job of modeling it considering how unique a sound the original effect it is based on had.