Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

EQ your Helix effects to mimic your actual stomp pedals using TrueRTA (link for free version here)

HonestOpinion

Not sure how I stumbled across this video, if someone on the forum or TGP posted it first please take credit, just can't find the link in the forum when I search for it.

Watch his video to see this fellow's method for molding the sound of the Helix blocks/effects and using EQ to match them potentially to all kinds of actual original pedals. This video focuses on getting the Boss Waza Blues Driver emulated but the sky is the limit. Great video, pretty ingenious! 

He uses a real-time analysis PC program that includes an RTA(Real Time Analyzer), and a built in oscilloscope to analyze standalone stomp pedals frequency curve characteristics and then uses them to EQ and match waveforms(e.g. triangle, square, etc.) and match up to similar available Helix effects. Sounds a lot more intimidating than it is, the process is actually relatively simple. For example he is able to roll through the Helix overdrive/distortion models and find the one that has the closest waveform and frequency response to a Boss Blues Driver pedal. He then uses the TrueRTA app to tweak the Helix pedal to be even closer to the Boss. Very cool!

A scientific and relatively painless tone matching approach to setting up your favorite old pedals with some incredibly close approximations on the Helix blocks, particularly if you can find a similar block to start with, which this method assists you in doing. You could potentially do this with a lot of different pedals. Here is the link for the free version of the app he uses "TrueRTA". There is a paid upgrade to get the more advanced features unlocked. I have not had a chance to check out what can be done with the free basic version yet but it looks pretty usable at first glance. Free version of "TrueRTA"https://www.trueaudio.com/rta_down.htm

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I actually did something a bit similar to try and tone match with my old Pod XT sounds. I'd create a Helix preset that would attempt to mimic the same gear used in an old Pod XT preset, but they would obviously sound quite different given the 10 years of development since then. So I would load in an old recording from the XT preset into my DAW and play the same thing through the Helix, then use EQ-match on those 2 tracks to show me where the tone differed. That would give me an idea of which dials to change on the amp model, or which mic/cab to try, and when I couldn't get any closer with just those controls, I could dial the rest in via a parametric EQ block or two.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I actually did something a bit similar to try and tone match with my old Pod XT sounds. I'd create a Helix preset that would attempt to mimic the same gear used in an old Pod XT preset, but they would obviously sound quite different given the 10 years of development since then. So I would load in an old recording from the XT preset into my DAW and play the same thing through the Helix, then use EQ-match on those 2 tracks to show me where the tone differed. That would give me an idea of which dials to change on the amp model, or which mic/cab to try, and when I couldn't get any closer with just those controls, I could dial the rest in via a parametric EQ block or two.

Thanks for mentioning your method and that tool, EQ-Match, I have never used it but it looks like it can be used as you mentioned for Helix tone matching or just as a great tool in the studio, especially when you need to patch together and match up sessions done on different days.  https://www.fabfilter.com/help/pro-q/using/eqmatch

• Like 1

I am really enjoying taking a look at the output from my Helix on an RTA and oscilloscope both of which are built into TrueRTA. You can run it simultaneously with HX Edit and make adjustments to your Helix blocks on the fly. Very informative and may well give you some ideas on how you might EQ differently, where the strongest/weakest parts of your signal are, etc. Also gives you a better sense for how the various parameter settings on an amp or effect impact the sound. Of course your ears do a fine job of that but it is nice to get some synesthesia rolling and get some visual cues as well.

If you have wanted an RTA(Real Time Analyzer) to use with your Helix here is a great chance to try one out for free and upgrade if you want more advanced features. It takes one click to route the Helix output through TrueRTA and there is your Helix's output showing up on the screen. Just go to the menu and select 'Audio I/O'  --> 'Audio Device Selection' and select the Helix. It is a standalone app so you don't even need to have your DAW engaged. Nice!

https://www.trueaudio.com/rta_down.htm

Of course if you prefer a free RTA plugin for your DAW you can find those as well here's one from Voxengo:

http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I recently stumbled on the free spectrum analyzer from SIR Audio Tools, and I like it a lot. It has a lot of functionality despite being free. It's what I've used to analyze the 3.50 mics and cabs. 

If you're into this kind of EQ matching and have my Helix eBook, check out the section on "How to Create EQ-Based Cabs." It goes into how to create test setups with pink noise and an RTA to emulate cabs, but the concepts apply to anything that can be shaped with EQ.