Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider V 120 vs 240 - Really THAT difference?

Pull-OH

Hi eveyone!

I am thinking to buy the Spider V, but I actually tryed just  the 60w version of the amp, and I actually like it!

I actually play Death-Metalcore and I need this amp for recording at home (USB/ Emulated Output to Audio interface / Shure SM57), and also to play some live concerts (small gigs) and with my band in small practise room.

I am reading about REALLY BIG differences between the 120w and 240w version about:
-Volumes (people changed their 120w  with the 240w because it was not enough loud to play in live concerts)

-Sound Quality (stereo vs mono seems to make a big difference)

Since I don't have the possibility to try them in the store, is anyone able to tell me if there's really all this big difference?
Is worth to spend more money to have 240w?
Is really the 120w not loud enough?
Is the 240w good to play at low volumes?

Also, did anyone have any issues about latency while recording with USB ?

Thanks everyone! :D

Keep playing :lol:

I initially bought the 120 figuring it would be loud enough to keep up with a loud drummer, wanting the most portable rig possible. I had a Fender Mustang 100 that was plenty loud.

Unfortunately, the 120 wasn't loud enough to keep up with our drummer, so I swapped it out for the 240 and couldn't be happier.

The 240 is plenty loud, the sound quality is enhance with the 2-12" speakers and and stereo output. If you're playing metal I would definitely go for the 240 because you're going to need more power for the bass heavy metal tones.

• Upvote 1

I initially bought the 120 figuring it would be loud enough to keep up with a loud drummer, wanting the most portable rig possible. I had a Fender Mustang 100 that was plenty loud.

Unfortunately, the 120 wasn't loud enough to keep up with our drummer, so I swapped it out for the 240 and couldn't be happier.

The 240 is plenty loud, the sound quality is enhance with the 2-12" speakers and and stereo output. If you're playing metal I would definitely go for the 240 because you're going to need more power for the bass heavy metal tones.

That's the answer I was looking for!

I think I'll go with the 240! ;)

Thanks Maaaan

Playing in a fairly loud rock cover band, I tried the Spider V120 at first, with the volume dimed, it was just about the right level.  I traded up to the Spider V240.. which fits the gig perfectly volume wise.

As far as stereo sounds... I honestly cannot hear any stereo effect.

I record with the XLR mono output to my DAW Audio interface.. it sounds great.  Never tried micing the amp, never tried the USB interface either.

The amp sounds great at low volumes.  i originally expected that the tone would be the same at all volumes, but there does seem to be an increase in treble when the volume goes up.  Keep that in mind when you set up tones at home and then bring them out to play with the band in a volume environment

I bought both. The 120 is great for my 9x9 studio, but the 240 is better suited for gigs in larger rooms.  Since the presets are the same on both amps, I backup the presets to my PC and any changes I make to one amp I can duplicate on the other amp. 

The advantage that the stereo gives you are some sound options for more significant echo, chorus and other effects that are more pronounced with 2 speakers.  But using stereo effects live gives your sound engineer a more complicated setup.

Playing in a fairly loud rock cover band, I tried the Spider V120 at first, with the volume dimed, it was just about the right level.  I traded up to the Spider V240.. which fits the gig perfectly volume wise.

As far as stereo sounds... I honestly cannot hear any stereo effect.

I record with the XLR mono output to my DAW Audio interface.. it sounds great.  Never tried micing the amp, never tried the USB interface either.

The amp sounds great at low volumes.  i originally expected that the tone would be the same at all volumes, but there does seem to be an increase in treble when the volume goes up.  Keep that in mind when you set up tones at home and then bring them out to play with the band in a volume environment

May you upload any example of your records?

Thanks for the advice I am going to keep this on my mind! ;)

I bought both. The 120 is great for my 9x9 studio, but the 240 is better suited for gigs in larger rooms.  Since the presets are the same on both amps, I backup the presets to my PC and any changes I make to one amp I can duplicate on the other amp. 

The advantage that the stereo gives you are some sound options for more significant echo, chorus and other effects that are more pronounced with 2 speakers.  But using stereo effects live gives your sound engineer a more complicated setup.

Did u had any experiences with the recording ? Usb or XLR output or Microphoned?

Anyway the differences it's about 40 euros for the 2 version, I think it's worth to spend those money for the double of the power!

I am going to receive the amp at the end of this week (hopefully)

Thanks anyone for the answer, waiting for some recording experiences feedbacks ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Even though its a bit over kill in the short run...I will be getting the 240  next week.  Might as well...since Guitar Center is selling the 240 for the same price as the 120 through the 11th of March!!  The stereo effect on the 240 makes it just the frosting on the cake!! SOOOOO...Just Startin.. it's a slam dunk!!!! :)

When I record, I usually don't use an amp.  I usually plug into an old POD 2 and that goes directly into my sound card which is a FocusRite 6i6.  I generally don't like the sound of an amp direct into a sound card.  Then again, I haven't tried it with the Spider V so I can't really judge that.

I don't have any samples of my playing through the Spider V. Actually there may be some on youTube that someone else took, but I don't know where they are.

I play in a pretty loud original band, we are known for being loud, when we play outside cops come.

Anyway I was able to use the Spider IV 120 with no problems.

I just got the Spider V and  am using that now, but the 120 was more than enough power.

I bought the V for the other features.

The IV I used was a 120 watt combo amp and I made it a head.

I pulled the speakers and installed jacks and used it as a 120 watt head, it was perfect, easily kept up with the drummer and the band, thing is I ran it through a Mesa 4x12, but all on its own 120 watts, into a 300 watt cab.

Now the Spider V 240HC I have is way way more than I would ever need for power or volume, I am sure I could use 1/2 of it, but I do love the added features of the 240hc.

I would suggest buying the 240hc and have some headroom rather than go with the 120 and limit yourself. 

Technically, doubling an amp's wattage only raises the volume by 3db. Going from 120 to 240 is a 3b increase in volume. For reference, a 10db increase is normally perceived as doubling the volume. I've played many gigs with a 75W amp and had no problems.

Technically, doubling an amp's wattage only raises the volume by 3db. Going from 120 to 240 is a 3b increase in volume. For reference, a 10db increase is normally perceived as doubling the volume. I've played many gigs with a 75W amp and had no problems.

That's true, but because the 240 has two 120 watt amps going into two speakers, the apparent loudness is much greater. I tried the 120 with my loud band and it couldn't cut it. The 240 has no problem.

• 8 months later...
On 2/17/2018 at 12:16 AM, thorneven said:

Would you say there is much of a difference for just playing at home?  They are on sale and the prices are close enough so I was thinking I might like the fuller sound and the potential coolness of stero affects. I’m really just looking for something fun and inspiring to play. Messed with the 120 briefly in a noisy store and it does sound pretty good. Haven’t found a 240 to try so just looking for opinions. 

26 minutes ago, gtrman100 said:

I think the 120 would be more than adequate for home use, but I like the sound of my 240 at home. It's my every day practice rig. The stereo effect isn't that dramatic unless you're right in front of the amp.

I ended up just getting the 240.  I don't buy things often and with the sale they were close enough in price.  Since I don't have to fit into a mix I like a lot of bass or at least a big, thick sound so I just went for the big boy.  I don't think I'll regret getting the big one but I may have always wondered if I had gone with the 120.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2018 at 7:28 PM, darylb said:

Would you say there is much of a difference for just playing at home?  They are on sale and the prices are close enough so I was thinking I might like the fuller sound and the potential coolness of stero affects. I’m really just looking for something fun and inspiring to play. Messed with the 120 briefly in a noisy store and it does sound pretty good. Haven’t found a 240 to try so just looking for opinions. 

For playing at home the 120 is more than enough. I rarely have it past 10'oclock. Lately I've been using my volume knobs on the guitar to switch between rhythm and lead volumes and wow, I'm into it !

• 1 year later...
15 hours ago, L-Files said:

Hello All,

I am looking to purchase the 240 MKII Combo.  I am wondering if there is a way to disable the stereo cab and run everything mono?  I will mic the cab up on stage as well instead of using the on-board DI.  So would just like it to all run mono.  (Or does it depend on the preset you are using?

Thanks,

-Chris

All the amp models are mono, but some of the effects are stereo. I would just stay away from stereo effects- reverb, modulation and delays.