Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Question: can I have stereo XLR outputs and mono 1/4" output at the same time?

Lelik

I can't try quickly because I don't have cables and devices available, so I try to ask here.
My target is to make my patches this way: when I have some "synth" tones or "oscillators", I'd like to send the guitar tone to one channel (let's say "right") and the synth tone to the opposite channel (left for example). And then from Helix I'd use both XLR outputs (L and R) to go into the mixer with two separate channels so that they can mix the two sounds more properly (and anyway panning both centrally).
But at the same time, I'd like to have a stereo-to-mono summing in the left 1/4" output connected to my own monitor so that I can hear all the sounds coming from my Helix through my single mono monitor. Does it work this way? Or if I use both the XLR right and left "stereo" outputs, the 1/4" output is not mono anymore (or even viceversa)?

And if it works as I hope, do I have a problem of different volume if I edit one patch with the guitar tone panned 100% to just one channel vs the same fx chain panned to the centre?

Yes, you absolutely can.  I have my XLRs going to stereo reference monitors and my 1/4"s going to two tube amps.  Just make sure to set the appropriate levels in Global Settings (line, instrument, and volume levels, etc.);  Your presets will need to be set to "multi" output which is the default.  Enjoy!

Yes, you absolutely can.  I have my XLRs going to stereo reference monitors and my 1/4"s going to two tube amps. 

Thanks for your information. But if I understand well you're using both XLR and 1/4" outputs in stereo, so I'm sure in that case there's no problem.

On the contrary I'd use the XLR outputs (stereo) but with only one 1/4" channel (left mono) and what I don't know is if the XLR and 1/4" outputs are completely independent so that using one of them in mono works when you use the other in stereo.

Thanks for your information. But if I understand well you're using both XLR and 1/4" outputs in stereo, so I'm sure in that case there's no problem.

On the contrary I'd use the XLR outputs (stereo) but with only one 1/4" channel (left mono) and what I don't know is if the XLR and 1/4" outputs are completely independent so that using one of them in mono works when you use the other in stereo.

Look at what jbuhajla said.  You can do stereo via XLR and mono via 1/4" simultaneously.  Obviously if your presets are all mono it won't matter anyway.  Like I said on my original reply, I use my XLR outputs going to my reference monitors in stereo using stereo effects and I use my 1/4" outputs in stereo going to two Marshall tube combo amps.  Occasionally I only use one amp, so I will get that signal in mono.  Just remember that your presets have settings for all of this in addition to what's in Global Settings.