Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT and monitor send

stratcat72z

You would have to dedicate a signal path in your preset to be able to do that. If you have the room in your preset, it will work just fine, but you will have to create that path in every preset you use. 

If you don't have the room in your presets, you can pick up a personal IEM amplifer for anywhere from $30-60.

Is it possible to get a monitor mix signal from FOH mixer, run it into a FX Return on Helix LT and only hear it in the headphone out mixed with the guitar signal? (but not present at XLR or 1/4 outputs)

You would have to dedicate a signal path in your preset to be able to do that. If you have the room in your preset, it will work just fine, but you will have to create that path in every preset you use. 

If you don't have the room in your presets, you can pick up a personal IEM amplifer for anywhere from $30-60.

I think jbuhajla has the best answer right now. With the external headphone amplifier being perhaps being the easiest. If you use a separate path on the Helix I would imaging having to use a Send or the 1/4 output to a headphone amp rather than the Helix headphones output if you only want the IEM feed in the headphones. The global setting 'Headphones Monitor' determines which of your inputs feeds the Headphones output. Maybe I am missing something but the problem with the separate path solution is that right now the parameter choices for Global Settings --> Ins/Outs/'Headphone Monitor' only include Multi, 1/4, and XLR. There is no for example 'Return 1' parameter option for this global setting.  If you used a Return for the IEM feed from the mixing board you would not only get the feed from the Return for your IEM but potentially the signal from at least one of your other inputs as well. I seem to remember people figuring out how to get around this in other posts on this subject but I don't remember how. Really feel like I am forgetting some critical nuance of how to set up the separate path thing.

I can think of a couple of firmware changes that would enable this without requiring a separate path for the IEM feed from the mixing board. It would require first adding an Output parameter to the Returns. The Output parameter would have options such as Multi, XLR, 1/4, S/PDIF, Headphones, Send 1, Send 2, and Inline. The Inline parameter would be the default and maintain the current operation where the Return's output is passed to the next block in the signal chain. You would select "Headphones" if you wanted only the Return input's signal shunted to the Headphones. The second thing you would need to do is add the various Helix Returns (e.g. Return 1, Return 2, etc.) as choices to the following global setting - Global Settings --> Ins/Outs --> Headphone Monitor. As stated previously currently the only input path options for the Headphone Monitor are Multi, 1/4, or XLR. Adding the Return 1, Return 2, etc. inputs would enable you to select a Return as the sole input to the Headphones output.

These two firmware changes would essentially add a more flexible way of sending specific blocks or a separate path from a certain input to specific outputs, in your case, sending the Return 1 input directly to the Headphones ouput. This would be extremely useful for IEM users getting a feed from the mixing board but I can see many other potential uses for this kind of functionality that allows more control over which inputs go to which outputs. Maybe I should add this idea to IdeaScale but I wonder how many people would use it? IEM users certainly would but are there enough to warrant the development time required?

I recommend you search for IEM in the forum. There have been some fairly good solutions proposed in the past for how to accomplish your goal. Maybe an IEM user here could post their best practice suggestion and save you the search. I'm just spitting into the wind as I don't use IEMs.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out this video from Richie Castellano:

Here he explains how he has set up his Helix for IEM. He uses fx sends and returns to send to FOH and get the signal for his IEM. He also uses extra EQ to get the sound he likes to his ears.

Have not tried it yet as I do not have a Helix at the moment yet, but that explanation was the reason for me to replace my POD XT live in the very near future.