Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New to Helix. Can I play clean straight through?

Zigracer

Hi folks,

Picked up a Helix yesterday - a bit overwhelmed. My question is: how do I play clean (just guitar and no effects) straight through to my amp? Although I often use effects for all of or part of a song, there are times when I play the guitar clean and only use the amp’s reverb. I have both a traditional pedalboard with stompboxes and a Nova System, both which allow me to run straight through when I want.

I bought the Helix with the intention of creating a bunch of stompbox like effects and other blocks to use in front of my amp at times, but to also be able to create a duplicate set of patches with amp and cab sims to run direct to PA when I want to travel lighter. On certain songs that I cover, I may play clean for part of the tune and then stomp on an OD pedal or distortion during the chorus -you get the idea.

Do I just create an empty block and assign it to a switch in stomp mode? Also, can I globally turn off all amp and cab sims for when I want to use my actual amp, so that I can create just one set of stomp patches, or do I need to create two sets - one with and one without the amp and cab sims.

I seems that there are almost endless possibilities with this Helix, and I am actually pretty good with tech, but I’m just looking for a little help in getting oriented to start.

Thanks in advance,

Zig

(a) There is currently no option to universally turn cabs/amps off. So you best bet is to either create two sets of patches OR include them in each patch with a footswitch to turn them on/off. (that'll soak one of your footswitches though.

(b) As to how to run to your amp, you plug your guitar into your helix, then plug the "1/4 inch output L(Mono)" output to your amps guitar in. This will perfectly simulate a pedalboard going into the front of your amp. If you would rather use the effects loop of your amp, same deal you're just going FX send -> helix -> fx return.

© As to effects, if you just get a blank preset and plug the helix in as described above, you should just be getting the sound of your amp without any toneloss/change. Then you can start adding blocks as you'd like, and assigning them to footswitches by holding your finger on them for a couple of seconds then selecting "assign".

Anything else we can help with?

There are a lot of ways you could bypass the blocks in your Helix. One of the easiest would be to use a snapshot with all blocks bypassed and assign the Level parameter on the Output block to the snapshot as well to compensate for any loss/gain in volume when the bypass snapshot is engaged. You could also use split/merge block(s) that split right after your Input block and merged right before your Output block when activated which would route your signal around all your blocks You could also go with a low-tech solution and use an A/B splitter box in front of the Helix and physically bypass it when not in use.

• Upvote 1

Just off top of my head I'm thinking... in the first block after the input use a send... job done the input signal is sent clean to your amp

The only potential challenge with this method is that you require a second input to your amp in addition to the one being used for your signal when it is not bypassed. Otherwise this would work fine.

Ah yes... he not just wanting a clean to amp as in title... Ok the last block use a send to the amp and turn off all blocks when want a clean signal....snapshot like you said.

I use an amp and signal like that can drive the front of the amp or go clean.

In fact it's more complicated than that as it's a stereo amp set up so I use 7 cable method... can go guitar... helix fx.. amp preamp... back to helix for post preamp fx.... back to amp power amp.... Umm too tired to go into it right now... I shouldn't have started to reply when too tired to do it justice sorry

The only potential challenge with this method is that you require a second input to your amp in addition to the one being used for your signal when it is not bypassed. Otherwise this would work fine.

I mean, he could always have an "FX Send 1" as the first block in DSP 1" and a "FX Send 1" as the last block in DSP 2, run it in super serial and have a footswitch that toggles the bypass between the two of them.

I mean, he could always have an "FX Send 1" as the first block in DSP 1" and a "FX Send 1" as the last block in DSP 2, run it in super serial and have a footswitch that toggles the bypass between the two of them.

No he needs the send to be after the fx he wants to be in front of his amps preamp.

Going to sleep now haha

No he needs the send to be after the fx he wants to be in front of his amps preamp.

Going to sleep now haha

I think he wants everything before his pre. I don't know whether he is 4cable method or not  - we'll have to wait and hear back from OP - but the routing I was suggesting is basically just a "bypass all" stomp switch.

I think he wants everything before his pre. I don't know whether he is 4cable method or not  - we'll have to wait and hear back from OP - but the routing I was suggesting is basically just a "bypass all" stomp switch.

If you are using the term "stomp switch" generically and you are actually referring to a snapshot then you are correct. Otherwise your method would require assigning all his effects to a single stomp switch. Assignments for a single "stomp" switch are limited up to eight(at least that used to be the limit)  which might not encompass all his blocks. Additionally the bypass for a block can only be assigned to one "stomp" switch, not multiple switches, which means he would not be able to use other stomp switches individually to control those blocks. A snapshot would be a better way to accomplish bypassing all blocks at one time where all of his blocks could easily be bypassed. That or one of the routing solutions proposed above.

I didn't see him mention using the 4CM method either which is why I also did not propose that type of solution although it is potentially a good option if he chooses to go 4CM.  :)

If by a single "stomp switch" you are referring to a snapshot then you are correct. Otherwise your method would require assigning all his effects to a single stomp switch. Not only are assignments limited up to eight  for a single stomp switch which might not encompass all his blocks but additionally a block can only be assigned to one stomp switch, not multiple switches, which means he would not be able to use other stomp switches individually to control those blocks. A snapshot would be a better way to accomplish bypassing all blocks at one time. That or one of the routing solutions proposed above.

Oh, I agree, in most use cases snapshots are strictly superior. The option of doing the dual FX1 Send routing is more a way to bypass all your effects not because the effects are turning on or off, but because the send is going out BEFORE the signal hits any of the effects.

The use case is only really in a situation where you need to go from "Absolutely Clean" to a lot of different set of stomp combinations that exceed the number of snapshots over the course of a set. Unlikely but possible.

Hi folks,

Picked up a Helix yesterday - a bit overwhelmed. My question is: how do I play clean (just guitar and no effects) straight through to my amp? Although I often use effects for all of or part of a song, there are times when I play the guitar clean and only use the amp’s reverb. I have both a traditional pedalboard with stompboxes and a Nova System, both which allow me to run straight through when I want.

I bought the Helix with the intention of creating a bunch of stompbox like effects and other blocks to use in front of my amp at times, but to also be able to create a duplicate set of patches with amp and cab sims to run direct to PA when I want to travel lighter. On certain songs that I cover, I may play clean for part of the tune and then stomp on an OD pedal or distortion during the chorus -you get the idea.

Do I just create an empty block and assign it to a switch in stomp mode? Also, can I globally turn off all amp and cab sims for when I want to use my actual amp, so that I can create just one set of stomp patches, or do I need to create two sets - one with and one without the amp and cab sims.

I seems that there are almost endless possibilities with this Helix, and I am actually pretty good with tech, but I’m just looking for a little help in getting oriented to start.

Thanks in advance,

Zig

Two more incredibly simple options for bypass.

1. Just engage the tuner with the tuner's 'Output' parameter set to Multi or your choice as long as it is not 'Mute'. This will output only the guitar's signal without the rest of the blocks in the path. The signal will however still be passing through the Helix's tuner so that may not be the "true" bypass you are looking for.
  2. Just switch to an empty preset with no blocks.
  • Upvote 1

1. Just engage the tuner with the tuner's 'Output' parameter set to Multi or your choice as long as it is not 'Mute'. This will output only the guitar's signal without the rest of the blocks in the path. The signal will however still be passing through the Helix's tuner so that may not be the "true" bypass you are looking for.

Assuming no signal loss, this is the smartest solution! Stealing this one for future use thanks HonestOpinion.

I think that I'll try the empty preset first.   I appreciate the help.  As much as the Helix can provide me with top notch effects, there are plenty awesome tunes or parts of them that were recorded with just a guitar and an amp for at least part of the song.   To have the ability to go from that simplicity to complex layers of effects with the tap of a foot is part of what I'm trying to achieve.