Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Update 2.50 Help!

abaxe

So I wanted to update my Helix floor unit. I downloaded the latest HX edit update but when I go to "create backup", HX Edit unexpectedly shuts down. I tried uninstalling HX Edit and installing HX edit 2.30 but the same result happens. I'm using a MacBook Air and after HX edit shuts down it gives me the option to "report" it but it sends that to Apple. So this may be a computer issue... I don't know... any advice? Thanks

I’ve had the same problem, Helix wouldn’t allow me to backup before the new update and since the new update I’ve nothing but problems with amp cabs greyed out, now sound and pops on patches, it’s a mess at the moment.

So I wanted to update my Helix floor unit. I downloaded the latest HX edit update but when I go to "create backup", HX Edit unexpectedly shuts down. I tried uninstalling HX Edit and installing HX edit 2.30 but the same result happens. I'm using a MacBook Air and after HX edit shuts down it gives me the option to "report" it but it sends that to Apple. So this may be a computer issue... I don't know... any advice? Thanks

You need to make sure and close out of all other Line 6 software while running the Line 6 Updater tool.

You need to make sure and close out of all other Line 6 software while running the Line 6 Updater tool.

Yes but HX Edit 2.51 updates without the updater tool. So my issue is I can't back up my Helix and I want it backed up before updating the Helix to 2.50...

So still no luck. I'm wondering if there's another way to back up the Helix with out using 'create backup" in HX Edit(?) I was really looking forward to the new amp models and effects updates but I don't want to risk loosing my saved setlists and presets...

So still no luck. I'm wondering if there's another way to back up the Helix with out using 'create backup" in HX Edit(?) I was really looking forward to the new amp models and effects updates but I don't want to risk loosing my saved setlists and presets...

Open a support ticket with Line 6 to help you get it sorted. 

You won't lose any of your presets by just upgrading the firmware; however, it order to see the new presets that come with the new firmware there are additional steps required to reset the presets to factory post-upgrade that you WILL lose all user presets.  You can also just backup each individual setlist one by one which you should anyway.

A full backup is always recommended, but if you do a full backup, upgrade the firmware, and then restore the backup you will simply be restoring the old presets on the device.  It's best to backup each component individually (user presets, etc.) and just restore those after you reset the factor presets post-upgrade.

There are multiple threads on this that cover each step one by one.  I have personally replied to almost all of them.  So has silverhead and a few others.

I've seen multiple parts saying that you need to back up each setlist individually, so after you to a reset to get any new factory presets, you can restore only your own, and not overwrite the factory ones. That overlooks the fact that for several releases now, you've been able to restore any selected setlists out of a full backup.

Saving individual setlists does bulletproof you a bit more against corrupted presets or setlists, so you could choose to do it for that reason, or not, but it's not necessary just to preserve the factory setlists.

So I went ahead and exported my setlists then updated to 2.50 firmware and it worked out fine. Interestingly enough I didn't have to import my setlists back after the update. Everything was still there but I have the new amp models and effects... legacy effects etc. Anyways thanks everybody for you input...

That's right, updating now preserves your patches. Only thing is, you don't have any new factory patches. To get them, you have to do one of the resets that reloads the factory setlists, and after you do that, you WILL need to import your backup, skipping the factory ones.

Make sense?

That's right, updating now preserves your patches. Only thing is, you don't have any new factory patches. To get them, you have to do one of the resets that reloads the factory setlists, and after you do that, you WILL need to import your backup, skipping the factory ones.

Make sense?

Yep it do.

Just getting back from a trip a few days ago and basically updated the Helix via the Helix Updater Tool (Mac user here).  2.50 Helix, 2.51 Editor, and all of my old settings seemed to load up in one step after executing the file that the Updater Tool found for me. Then I realized that I needed to do the FS 9 + 10 to get the Factory presets for 2.50. Of course, after that I had to rebuild my Globals, Presets, and IRs using the Editor. I decided to reboot with FS 10 + 11 after all that to ensure my presets were updated to 2.50. Not sure it was necessary? But did it anyway.

Not complaining at all. But did Line 6 provide step by step guidance (as they always did previously) for the slicker/ gazillion times better update procedure? I couldn't find anything?

Came to the realization just now that there is more than one "Just Startin'" in this thread... no big deal lol... but I did the reboot... all good. I haven't been messing with the factory presets of late. Just wondering what's new about them since the update?

Another question... if and when I get "create backup" to work in HX Edit, will this also back up my IRs? re-loading those one by one is a drag...lol thanks

Yes as long as you are on one of the more recent versions of HX Edit. Every version of HX Edit since and including 2.30 has had full state backup which includes your IRs.

Updated to 2.50. Patches seem to be ok but I have lost tuning and models from JTV 69. Thoughts?

On the Input block do you have the "Variax Settings" on the second page of the Variax parameters set to "Per Preset"? Even though this parameter is set from within a preset it acts like a global setting and will effect all other Variax presets. You want this parameter set to "Per Preset".

Just got a Helix LT on loan  :)  needed to fix my USB port on my Helix ... The LT sounds sweet! It came loaded with  2.30 and want to update to 2.50. I already Have the new Helix edit 2.52 and the most recent updater that came with the Helix Edit 2.52..

Can I update to 2.50 on the LT with the same Helix updater 2.52??  :rolleyes: 

Just got a Helix LT on loan  :)  needed to fix my USB port on my Helix ... The LT sounds sweet! It came loaded with  2.30 and want to update to 2.50. I already Have the new Helix edit 2.52 and the most recent updater that came with the Helix Edit 2.52..

yes indeed

It looks like the 2.53 version of the firmware just dropped so theoretically you could use the version of the Line6 Updater contained in the latest HX Edit (2.52) package to upgrade to the 2.53 firmware.

It looks like the 2.53 version of the firmware just dropped so theoretically you could use the version of the Line6 Updater contained in the latest HX Edit (2.52) package to upgrade to the 2.53 firmware.

Yessss Aewsome just got in thank you @HonestOpinion ...Even though it's not my Helix trhe LT will do just fine  :)....

Going to re-install Helix Edit 2.52 first just to be on the safe side  B)