Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix direct to PA settings

LineFever

One more question;

Could you describe your signal chain?

My signal chain is typical:

Compressor - boost1 - Octave/whammy - Fuzz - Overdrive - Distortion - Boost2 - (EQ1 - PRE AMP - AMP - CAB - EQ2) - Modulations - Delay - Reverb

EQ1 - PRE AMP - AMP - CAB - EQ2 is what I add ONLY when using a PA... I tried many different solutions between them

Well...you're certainly all over the place but you haven't given us much information about how you set up the signal chain nor the settings you applied.

Try it this way:  Using a Les Paul with Burstbucker Pro II pickups -> Plexi Bright model (Drive 7.0, Bass 3.7, Mid 6.8, Treb 5.3, Presence 4.1, ch vol 6.7, master vol 8.0, sag, hum, rippl 5.0, bias 6.7, bias x 5.5) -> IR Celestion Redback 212 Closed back Hi gain mix of MD421 and 121, Low cut 130, no hi cut ->  parametric EQ HighCut 12.5 Khz.

There are a couple of other things in that preset such as a split crossover at 650 hz and a mix of reverb and echo, but that's the basic sound.

I send that through a Yamaha DXR12 for stage monitor 1/4" Line level and XLR Mic level to a Mackie board that feeds a QSC KLA12 Line Array with a DW181 sub.  It has an absolutely GLORIOUS full heavy rock sound.  I typically have my Helix Master volume set around 11 o'clock with this setup.  Dial that in and see what you get.

• Like 1

Well, I have bad news for you. Your Helix is obviously defective.

Luckily, I run a shelter for defective Helix processors and will gladly care for it. I will also be glad to send you a Fender Mustang with a genuine emulated output for your use. I believe you'll find it far superior to the Helix.

Just let be know where to send it, and we'll get you sounding good again! ;-)

Hey Guys,

So to give you new insight on this thread, after doing many tests, I finally came up with a conclusion.

I was able to "attenuate" the fizz sound, not with the high cut but more with the global setting's HighQ at around 9k lowered by 10db.

That with a lot of playing around with the global EQ and a few extra things like adding a pre-Amp + Amp/Cab setting, etc...

That being said... the overall result still sucks... :unsure: Maybe I haven't found the right settings yet, I don't know, but overall it ain't great.

Basically my biggest disappointment is that I get much better results using my Amp Emulator output direct to PA from my Blackstar HT-20 (almost sounds/feels the same as the actual amp plugged to a cab) then I do with ANY settings I try on the Helix.

So maybe that's my issue, something we could ask Line 6 to add, an Amp Emulator output!

Just imagine how effective it would be if we could use the XLR or 1/4 jack output to act like an Amp Emulator instead of simulating LINE output.

What do you guys think?

I've tried 3 different "PA" scenarios:

1- In a practice session with a fully fledged Presonus mixer plugged with a pair of 350w powered speakers using XLR output / MIC setting (@studio)

2- XLR direct using LINE to Adam A5X speakers (@home)

3- USB to computer using Logic Pro for recording output to Adam A5X direct from Macbook Pro (@home)

In all 3 scenarios, I tried to filter with equalizers, use Amps/Cabs, using High cuts in global setting, in an added Equalizer effect, in the Cab, in the Amp...

Tried using IRs

Basically, after all that work playing around with the sound, I am never able to get a "satisfying" sound...

Plugging the Helix directly to my Blackstar HT-20 or Blackstar ID:60 is miles better then it is with any of the scenarios above (and I don't even use a 4 cable method)

I'll give you an example:

The Blackstar ID:60 also has a Tube simulator (6V6, 6L6, EL84, etc...), if I use that combined with Helix effects (no Amp/Cab) I will achieve a result 10 times superior then I will using those same effects + EQ + equivalent Amp/Cab from the Helix.

Now, I do not think the difference should be so obvious right?

I mean, I've played with Helix's effect enough to be able to achieve a bass sound while using a guitar, and trust me, it really does sound good. I know my way around it when plugged to a real guitar amp

But for achieving good sound on a PA or recording/USB, I can't do it.... I mean I can, but it just sounds bad to my ears.

So if anyone could share the AMP/CAB combination/settings they use that for them works well, I'd be really happy to hear it.

I play Muse, QOTSA, Royal Blood, and a lot of classic Rock (Led Zep/AcDc, etc...), let's say I use a lot of Fuzz and harsh Overdrives/Distortions (which is why maybe I have a hard time setting them right on a PA)

By the way thanks for helping guys, I really appreciate it. You all ROCK!

Someone earlier mentioned this YouTube series. Have you checked it out? Jason’s approach has helped me dial in great tones. I use my Helix direct to PA in a live band setting (rock cover band). My Marshall and vintage Fender tube amps stay home, which means this unit can deliver tones that (at least in my eyes) are comparable to a typical amp/pedal board set up.

https://youtu.be/2oSUj8oK6Pg

Check this out...

Someone earlier mentioned this YouTube series. Have you checked it out? Jason’s approach has helped me dial in great tones. I use my Helix direct to PA in a live band setting (rock cover band). My Marshall and vintage Fender tube amps stay home, which means this unit can deliver tones that (at least in my eyes) are comparable to a typical amp/pedal board set up.

Check this out...

THANK YOU!!! 

Jason Sadites' video actually gave the precise answer I was looking for.... that's a great video (and he really knows his Helix ;-) ) 

THANK YOU!!!

Jason Sadites' video actually gave the precise answer I was looking for.... that's a great video (and he really knows his Helix ;-) )

No problem! In particular, it’s his use of the Y crossover split that makes a big difference. I actually use it at the beginning of path 2 since I like to blend 2 cabs (3 Sigma irs actually) on path 1. To my ears, this approach makes the amp models more lively and easier to dial in than doing drastic high and low cuts on the cabs.

No problem! In particular, it’s his use of the Y crossover split that makes a big difference. I actually use it at the beginning of path 2 since I like to blend 2 cabs (3 Sigma irs actually) on path 1. To my ears, this approach makes the amp models more lively and easier to dial in than doing drastic high and low cuts on the cabs.

I agree 100%, not only does it resolve the harshness issue (but his trick makes it super easy to set!) AND it gives an extra oomph with overall feel+dynamics...