Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amp Channel Switching using HX Effects

eharvilicz

I just picked up the HX Effects (sold my POD HD500x) because I have an EVH 5150 iii and didn't need all of the amp/cab models.  Anyways, I'm currently using MIDI to switch between the clean/crunch/lead channels and notice a lag that I didn't see on the HD500x.  I'm curious as to if there is some way for me to program one of the pedal outs to do the 3 amp channel switching.  So I'd have 3 different patches (clean,rhythym,lead) changing go channel 1,2 and 3.  I hope I'm making sense.

Thanks,

Eric

I just picked up the HX Effects (sold my POD HD500x) because I have an EVH 5150 iii and didn't need all of the amp/cab models.  Anyways, I'm currently using MIDI to switch between the clean/crunch/lead channels and notice a lag that I didn't see on the HD500x.  I'm curious as to if there is some way for me to program one of the pedal outs to do the 3 amp channel switching.  So I'd have 3 different patches (clean,rhythym,lead) changing go channel 1,2 and 3.  I hope I'm making sense.

Thanks,

Eric

You'll want to use Snapshots (you can have up to four) within a single Preset rather than using three different Presets.

You'll want to use Snapshots (you can have up to four) within a single Preset rather than using three different Presets.

Like pBatts said...

The lag you hear is switching between presets. Explore the manual and Youtube about snapshots. You will still be able to do midi with snapshots, but without the lag when changing presets. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

My HX Effects does not work with my Engl Sreammer 50. The TRS jack puts some extra voltage on the amplifier, the lead led always has a dim light even when the channel is off. The polarity of one button is right and the other is inverted. Changing from EXP to Amp in the preferences also does not solve the problem, however, using EXP we can change the polarity (strange).There is also an increase in the gain of the amplifier. Using a Boss FS-6 pedal works fine. Also with Behringer FCB1010. I reported the problem to Line6 who replied: "Hi, HX Effects ability to control external amp channel and/or reverb switching has been tested with many popular amps and heads. Unfortunately this does not guarantee compatibility with all products. Note that, depending on the circuitry of the channel switching jack in the guitar amp used, the EXT Amp function may not operate as expected. Best regards, Technical Support Line 6 Support Europe" This is a copy/paste from the manual. Therefore, you buy the equipment and if you are lucky it works with your amplifier.

OK, I notice that I have 3V at the tip of the HX Effects EXT Amp outputs. This is normal? I have questioned Line6 support but instead of respond, they copy and paste more parts of manuals, this time of the Engl amp manual also. I JUST NEED TO KNOW IF THE 3 VOLTS ON THE TIP OF THE JACK IS A NORMAL THING OR NOT.

I made a Y cable like this: two TRS jacks connected to the HX EXT Amp 1 and EXT Amp 2 only with ring and the sleeve solded on the jacks. On the amp I connect a TRS jack with the tip connected to the ring from HX EXT Amp 1 and the ring connected to the ring from HX EXT Amp 2. With this cable the Amp works well because there is NO VOLTAGE on the ring of the HX EXT Amp outputs.

There is some HX Effects owner that can check if there are voltage on the tip of the TRS outputs? That way I can be sure that my HX Effects have no defect.

Thanks anyone and everyone.

On 7/17/2018 at 11:10 AM, c0ntact0 said:

OK, I notice that I have 3V at the tip of the HX Effects EXT Amp outputs. This is normal? I have questioned Line6 support but instead of respond, they copy and paste more parts of manuals, this time of the Engl amp manual also. I JUST NEED TO KNOW IF THE 3 VOLTS ON THE TIP OF THE JACK IS A NORMAL THING OR NOT.

I made a Y cable like this: two TRS jacks connected to the HX EXT Amp 1 and EXT Amp 2 only with ring and the sleeve solded on the jacks. On the amp I connect a TRS jack with the tip connected to the ring from HX EXT Amp 1 and the ring connected to the ring from HX EXT Amp 2. With this cable the Amp works well because there is NO VOLTAGE on the ring of the HX EXT Amp outputs.

There is some HX Effects owner that can check if there are voltage on the tip of the TRS outputs? That way I can be sure that my HX Effects have no defect.

Hello!!! Theres anyone with a voltmeter and a HX Effects out there.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2018 at 11:10 AM, c0ntact0 said:

Returned to dealer, a new one arrived, same problem, returned for refund. I'm buying a MOD Duo from MOD Devices. No more Line6 for me.
Line6 is playing with the customers patience...

• 3 months later...

I'm having the same problem with a H&K TM18.  The problem may not be to do with additional voltages on the output, I strongly suspect it is to do with additional residual resistance in the control line.  The switching on many amp models with passive footswitches of a TRS type is done by shorting a line to ground and pulling a current down it which is detected inside the amp in some way.  It isn't directly voltage related it is current based.  It might run a relay direct or it may trigger other solid state circuitry, both of these happen in the H&K amps.  When extra resistance is introduced to the line it reduces that switching current to the point where it does not reliably trigger the amp circuitry any more.

Likewise in the open state, when the current should be 0mA due to an infinite resistance open circuit switch, the HX leaves a high resistance still in the line which will of course leave some current flowing which may still partially trigger the amp in the opposite way.

The H&K amp shows similar symptoms to those posted here.  Its control LEDs can stay on dimly when they should not as they are actually in this control line indicating there is still current flowing when there should be none.  The amp tone and noise suffers as only some of the circuit functions are changed and the amp is left in an indeterminate state with stages no longer set up to match each other.  This effect can even show itself only after the amp has been on for some time and has presumably heated up components inside changing the switching conditions slightly.

I have asked about the impedance conditions on the HX Ext Amp output elsewhere but, as it is able to be configured as an input for Expression Pedal use too, I really suspect this is the reason why you are seeing what you are seeing.  To their credit, Line 6 do warn that this is a possibility in the manual.  With the flexibility of that socket for use as an input and an output it is not surprising that these problems can arrive.  We pay for that flexibility in this way.  The only reliable way round it would be to add some sort of circuitry to switch according to the HX command and trigger full switching in the amp line with maybe a relay or lower impedance component.  That isn't hard in any way but it is a pain!

• 1 month later...

having the same issue with my marshall jcm 2000 dsl    contacted support and this is the response i received :

Hi Robert, 

Thank you for contacting us! I have not yet hear d of an issue like this with the HX. Can I ask, have you had a chance to see if you get the same behavior? It sounds as if you are running into a ground loop hum. 

Line6Kody

wrote a response to the one above and never heard from them again!!!   I find it hard to believe he's never heard of this issue    this forum is proof in itself amongst several found on the net.
They have an issue but don't want to admit it.   I found an HX user on the net which used a hum canceling box made by Morley   Ive purchased one    waiting for it to come in  hope it cures the issue as it did for him in the video he posted with no thanks to line 6 

• 6 months later...

On 1/10/2019 at 5:02 PM, Fatz1340 said:

having the same issue with my marshall jcm 2000 dsl    contacted support and this is the response i received :

Hi Robert, 

Thank you for contacting us! I have not yet hear d of an issue like this with the HX. Can I ask, have you had a chance to see if you get the same behavior? It sounds as if you are running into a ground loop hum. 

Line6Kody

wrote a response to the one above and never heard from them again!!!   I find it hard to believe he's never heard of this issue    this forum is proof in itself amongst several found on the net.
They have an issue but don't want to admit it.   I found an HX user on the net which used a hum canceling box made by Morley   Ive purchased one    waiting for it to come in  hope it cures the issue as it did for him in the video he posted with no thanks to line 6 

Hey mate did the Morley hum box work?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Stratojoe17 said:

Does the HX effects only send MIDI messages to do this or is it also capable to send electrical signals i.e. for my Fender Supersonic ?

The HX Effects does have a 1/4 inch jack to electrically control an amp. It works by shorting the tip/ring to the sleeve of a TRS cable. I don’t know if that scheme is compatible with the Fender Supersonic. The amp’s user manual may answer that.

I use the SoundSculpture FootSim with my HX Effects to control my Peavey Classic 100 head and Classic 50 combo channel switching/reverb.

The onboard EXT control of the HX did not work with these amps. It was a bummer to need an additional device for my setup, but the FootSim has worked flawlessly for my rig.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
On 11/7/2019 at 1:14 AM, alex0v said:

Hi everybody! I had the same problems with ENGL amp channels switching. The problem has been solved by a good electrician. If u need a solution, I can share the Amp circuit board modification. 

Hi, I encountered the same problem with my Engl650. It would be great if you could share the schematics of your modification. I prefer this solution over getting an midi switch box.

Thanks in advance!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...