Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 Please...

wcmexbm

Be prepared for major backlash, comments, and opinions. Nothing else compares to the Helix family at their price point.

Despite the reference to Headrush which will doubtless evoke a response on the Helix forum he does have a point. With all of the foot switches on the Helix the potential appears to be there for a looper with a much more full-featured implementation. This could include using more foot switches and advanced functions for the looper as well as a substantially longer total loop time. With at least eight foot switches to play with think how amazing a full-blown looper could be on the Helix(or its successor). Maybe this requires too many compromises on the current Helix depending on the memory and development time available but I think it would be a lost opportunity to not at least make sure that a more full-featured looper makes it onto the next version the Helix. Hopefully with an SD card slot that allows storage of loop files of long duration. As a bonus an SD card slot could also accommodate a large impulse response repository, additional setlists/presets, and provide the ability to allow backup and restore from an SD card.

I have to say that I love my Helix, but I don't love the looper - yes, it's a sitting duck for an update to be a truly cool thing! Don't use it but would sell my ditto if it was improved.  Would get very interesting if you had say 2 loops that you could save and select, drop in and out of record etc.

I'm hesitant to add to this discussion since I'm not really a big user of a looper, although I have used simple ones in the past.  But my take is that to really have a full featured looper you'd need a much more comprehensive set of controls than the meager set on the Helix.  It seems to me that if I wanted to really be able to use a decent looper that might be an area that I'd be willing to buy an add-on unit and simply integrate it rather than either have to wait for a new version of the Helix or have to deal with a clumsy way of integrating the features into the existing hardware.  But what would I know...I don't even use the one that comes with it now.

• Upvote 1

Really started this thread just for discussion for future reference. But having said that I'm seriously thinking of buying a Headrush strictly for the looper.

It hits all the right marks for a performance looper; Long available loop time, variable Loop decay, the ability to "Punch-in" undo of last layer and add to that on-board effects.

Really started this thread just for discussion for future reference. But having said that I'm seriously thinking of buying a Headrush strictly for the looper.

It hits all the right marks for a performance looper; Long available loop time, variable Loop decay, the ability to "Punch-in" undo of last layer and add to that on-board effects.

If all you want is a more functional looper, and you've already resigned yourself to buying another pedal, you can get what you need for a hell of a lot less than the cost of the Headrush...

If I had a Helix and wanted a really functional looper I think I'd go for this rather than a Headrush for about the same price.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/95000

If the Boss RC-30 is good enough for Ed Sheeran ($150) then it seems like a very expensive way to go to get more advanced looping functions. If the RC-30 isn't enough then there is also the RC-300, and both are much cheaper than the EH mentioned above.

The looper is good for practice. If it was easier to get to, especially from snapshot mode, it could be useful live as well. I'm using the a Boss RC3 w/ an external footswitch for more control. I may try the TC Ditto X2.

You can always use stomp box mode. No it wont do everything snapshot mode does, but it couldnt be any easier to get to than that. 

You can always use stomp box mode. No it wont do everything snapshot mode does, but it couldnt be any easier to get to than that. 

That works ok at home. Using it live from snapshots (8 snapshots) you need to go to stomp, hit the looper, record loop, then hit mode twice to get back to snapshots.

Which if you want a clean(er) loop then have a lead tone over that takes some steppin'. Then do it again to turn the loop off. I've only scratched the surface of the Helix LT so I could be missing something.

With the RC3 I hit record, hit it again & it's in payback, then I use the FS7 for one button stop.