Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

A question about guitar impedence and wireless systems

clumsylover78

Hello,

first, please excuse me if this had been discussed alreday, tried some search but haven't find anything, second excuse my english (i'll do m best) :P

So, in Helix, the guitar input has impedence, Z and so on but is this working as designed when there's no "direct" connection between Helix and the guitar ? For example when you're using a Relay wireless system? How could Helix "sense" the pickup load in this situation?

I'm wondering if going into the mic in or aux in is the better when using a wireless system.

Cheers!

m.

Hello,

first, please excuse me if this had been discussed alreday, tried some search but haven't find anything, second excuse my english (i'll do m best) :P

So, in Helix, the guitar input has impedence, Z and so on but is this working as designed when there's no "direct" connection between Helix and the guitar ? For example when you're using a Relay wireless system? How could Helix "sense" the pickup load in this situation?

I'm wondering if going into the mic in or aux in is the better when using a wireless system.

Cheers!

m.

I have a Helix and a Relay G70 wireless system.  You do not need to worry about using a guitar with an active pickup.  The Relay will take care of the signal before it gets to the Helix.  I asked this very same questions a few months back since the Helix has an AUX input for those types of pickups.  The Relay takes care of the instrument level pass to the Helix.

Like VirtualGuitars said, it will be fine.

The Helix does not sense your guitar impedance, it terminates your guitar with a impedance that varies depending on blocks in the chain.

Your guitar is being terminated by your transmitter and the receiver by the Helix so it will only make marginal difference at most.

Craig

• Upvote 1

I have a Helix and a Relay G70 wireless system.  You do not need to worry about using a guitar with an active pickup.  The Relay will take care of the signal before it gets to the Helix.  I asked this very same questions a few months back since the Helix has an AUX input for those types of pickups.  The Relay takes care of the instrument level pass to the Helix.

i own a passive guitar but reading about the Relay i think it shouldn't matter.

The pickups don't put a load on the Helix input.  The Helix puts a load on the guitar pickups, that's what the Helix input impedance parameter adjusts. It's not sensing the pickups.

So, the Helix won't care if your input is coming from a wireless system as long as the signal levels are in the right range (guitar or aux).

What you will lose with a wireless system is the ability to control the load on the guitar pickups (with the Helix) which affects their tone. 

So does this mean that input impedance in Helix is really physically present?

I'm not sure if it's like this or if the influence of the input impedance on the guitar signal is just modelled.

In the first case, Impedance setting would have nearly no effect  to the active (low Z) signal, in the second case, lower settings would lower the pickups resonance peak. B)

Like VirtualGuitars said, it will be fine.

The Helix does not sense your guitar impedance, it terminates your guitar with a impedance that varies depending on blocks in the chain.

Your guitar is being terminated by your transmitter and the receiver by the Helix so it will only make marginal difference at most.

Craig

This is correct and just wanted to add that the Auto setting on the impedance only uses the first block in your signal chain to determine the impedance, whether it is bypassed or not. If you want a different impedance then that dictated by the first block you can assign the impedance to change in each snapshot or assign the Impedance parameter to a stomp switch.

So does this mean that input impedance in Helix is really physically present?

I'm not sure if it's like this or if the influence of the input impedance on the guitar signal is just modelled.

In the first case, Impedance setting would have nearly no effect  to the active (low Z) signal, in the second case, lower settings would lower the pickups resonance peak. B)

Yes it's actual resistors switched in the circuit.

• Upvote 1

On this subject - if you have an effect that you absolutely must use and the impedance is critical to that effect working properly, and you must have wireless then the only solution is to put that effect between the guitar and the transmitter.

Brian May uses these:

http://www.deacyamp.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=72

http://www.deacyamp.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=22