Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dumb Tuning Question JTV69S

Hi all

I have never had a guitar with the locking tuners before...I now have a JTV69S with them on...

how exactly do they work, how tight should they be etc ...

I just made the mistake of turning one and the string fell out completely ! 

I know its a basic question, but in 40 years of playing , I have never seen these before !

Also this thing seems to be going out of tune (Flat ) a lot...I'm using the trem  but only mildly...any ideas to look for ?

my old variax 700 never went out of tune like this ...

any help appreciated 

Bill P

Easy mistake.

The locking knobs should always be tight unless you're changing strings.

"Locking" is a bit of a misnomer as the tuners don't lock in place, they just lock the string end into the tuning peg.

The advantage is that you don't have to have multiple turns of string around your tuning pegs and as a result you get better tuning stability.

That and you can change strings a lot faster!  :)

And on the trem taking you out of tune. Yep, that's common.    On a 69S, just like a Strat, that will be tough to cure completely.

Make sure the strings and nut slots match. You want the strings to move freely over the nut but not buzz.  The 69S has a Graphtec nut so it should not need lubrication (other nuts usually get a little graphite from a pencil lead to help lubricate).

Make sure you don't have a multiple wraps on your tuning pegs. The extra turns will keep the strings from returning to tension repeatably. That's where the locking tuners help.

And finally, go easy on the trem.  If you want to do full on dive bombs your going to need a Floyd Rose setup like the 89f to stay in tune. I have a 69S and 2 Strats. I blocked the trem on one Strat and on the other guitars I use it for subtle vibrato.

Aaaaah i see  - so basically once the string is on ands its tightened, don't loosen it or the string will pop out (as just happened ) LOL 

bizarre its going more out of tune then than the variax 700 which didn't have them ! 

thanks for the reply 

Bill P

Think of the string like a garden hose wound too tight on a spool 

The "big deal" with Locking Tuners it allows you to minimize and shorten the "non speaking" string length  - too many string wraps on the tuner post  = instability when performing dive bombs with your  tremolo. 

How to restring a Locking tuner guitar 

1 ) Prior to installing the string - Use the tuning key to Align the tuners so the hole in each tuning post provides a straight line path for the string, and loosen the rear tuning wheels which clamp the string.  

2  ) Thread the new string on the tremolo block, and thread it thru the tuning post, and  pull it tight  

3 ) For the top e, B, G, D strings , while pulling the string tension tight , use the rear locking wheel to tighten the clamp inside the tuning post to lock the string in place and tune string to pitch.

4 ) For the low E and A string I back off 1/4" inch prior to clamping the string with the rear tuner locking wheel , to provide a bit more string on the tuning post - allows those Junior Brown riffs   ( go to 1:01 minute) 

and if you do not have Locking Tuners

I use this method 

string.jpg

Think of the string like a garden hose wound too tight on a spool 

Minimize and shorten the "non speaking" string length  - too many string wraps on the tuner post  = instability when performing dive bombs with your  tremolo. \
Same with playing blues and lots of String bending  - too many wraps of string on the tuner post and a non lubricated Nut = out of tune guitar

• Upvote 1

Usually it is recommended to tune a string up, not down. That is, if the string is sharp, tune it down until it is flat, then tune it back up to pitch. You never tune down to pitch, always up. This removes any slack from the string that might make the string go flat when you bend it.

Now Fender recommends that you only tune down strings when you have locking tuners, never tune up. I've never been able to understand the reasoning for this, or bring myself to do it. But that's what they say.

See the Additional Hints section at the bottom of https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us/articles/212774786.

Do what stevekc says; that is exactly what I have done for so many years (my main guitar before my JTV was a Patrick Eggle with Wilkinson Locking trem and locking tuners).

And the simple lock the string on itself works so well for non-locking tuners; I struggle to understand why anybody would want to wrap 5 or 6 full turns on a tuning post - it is just more work and less stable.