Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wrong Cable?

Hi guys i am new to the forum,

I have bought me a new jtv 59 and i like it very much but there is a problem.

When i want to use the modeled guitars i have to pull back the plug a little and fiddle with it to get it working.

I am using a regular guitar cable that is working fine with my other guitars.

Do i need to use another cable or is there something wrong with the input of my jtv 59.

I hope you can help me out, thanks

John

The JTV doesn't distinguish between pickups and modelling at the 1/4inch jack. So "fiddling" with the cord should have the same effect on both. Are you sure it's a normal Mono cable and not a stereo cable?

Other than that, it could be a bad connection, but the problem should be on both the pickup and modelling modes if jiggling the cable fixes it.

Plugging in the 1/4 inch cable activates a power switch as well as making the connection to your amp.  It sounds like that power switch isn't getting activated.  You may have a defective switch.  Try another guitar cable first though.  Maybe yours isn't quite activating the switch properly.

Ozbadman

Other than that, it could be a bad connection, but the problem should be on both the pickup and modelling modes if jiggling the cable fixes it.

I am using a mono cable, and really, when i connect the guitar plug the pickups are working .nicely.

But when i want to switch on the modeling knob nothing happens.

So i have to pull back the plug a little until i can get the modeling working.

Thanks for replying Ozbadman

John

Plugging in the 1/4 inch cable activates a power switch as well as making the connection to your amp.  It sounds like that power switch isn't getting activated.  You may have a defective switch.  Try another guitar cable first though.  Maybe yours isn't quite activating the switch properly.

I 'll try that, have to buy a new one first though

I like Charlie's idea. I don't have my JTV with me, but is their any power indication on a JTV when a cable is successfully plugged in in modelling mode? Does a light come on? If Charlie is right, when the JTV is not working, there shouldn't be any light on on the JTV as it will be powered down. The jiggling would then bring the power up and therefore, the light.