Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I've sold my HD500. What happens next?

Ed_Saxman

Pretty obvious: I'll have to get a Helix ASAP.

Still self-debating which model it will be, but now I'm biased to the LT, as it seems the most direct replacement to the basic HD500 functionallity.

I have read many posts here an there about serious issues regarding both Helix Rack and Floor about fragile mic preamp and faulty scribble strips, so I think it'll be much safer to me to use an external mic preamp, and get a device with a single screen (LT) over devices with 14 screens onboard and dubious durability mic preamps.

Regarding this POD HD subforum, thank you very much to everyone with whom I have shared so much here.

I hope to see you soon in the Helix subforum!

Ed.

I have read many posts here an there about serious issues regarding both Helix Rack and Floor about fragile mic preamp and faulty scribble strips...

Ed.

It's very easy to get a distorted perception of failure rates by frequenting online forums. Most owners of any given product don't show up in forums at all, whether they have problems or not. And a good portion of those who do appear, are doing so because they have an issue they're trying to solve...or they just like to complain, and are seeking an audience for their tale of woe. Either way, it simply isn't possible to get a genuine sense of how often something breaks by listening only to internet griping, 'cause the happy ones ain't stopping by to tell you how wonderful things are.

What's my point? If you want the full Helix and you have the means, get it. Don't settle for the LT because you're afraid the scribble strips won't work. It's like giving up the deal of a lifetime on the car you've always wanted because you're afraid the rear window defroster might stop working one day...

• Upvote 3

I have read many posts here an there about serious issues regarding both Helix Rack and Floor about fragile mic preamp and faulty scribble strips, so I think it'll be much safer to me to use an external mic preamp, and get a device with a single screen (LT) over devices with 14 screens onboard and dubious durability mic preamps.

As stated above, Helix Rack and Floor users who do not have any problems with the mic preamps and scribble strips do not come here to say so. But let me be a voice in the wilderness. I own the Helix Rack and Control and I have never had any such issues. Don't let this unfounded fear drive you to the less fully featured LT. Price is a much more valid reason to choose the LT.
  • Upvote 1

I am 8 years on my HD and about to do the same...I am also on the fence between Helix and LT...I know LT is better fit for what I do, smaller footprint, similar to the shortboard, etc....but damn, those scribble strips are so cool and useful...extra IO is good too...

I am 8 years on my HD and about to do the same...I am also on the fence between Helix and LT...I know LT is better fit for what I do, smaller footprint, similar to the shortboard, etc....but damn, those scribble strips are so cool and useful...extra IO is good too...

The footprint really isn't much of an issue...slightly bigger than the POD, but after a day or two, it won't bother you. And while you might not "need" the scribble strips, per se...they are quite useful. No guesswork, you know exactly what you've assigned to a given footswitch. I'm old...I don't wanna have to remember where I put the delay, or which snapshot is which, lol. No need for adhesive labels, or those clumsy magnet labels that I've seen hawked for the POD.

• Upvote 1

enjoy your next purchase, I'm sure you'll be happy..

About me, I do not think you'll ever see me among Helix's owners,.. at least not soon

For what you have contributed to this forum since I have memory, L6 should give you one for free.

• Upvote 3

when it will break irreparably, my next modeler, new or used, any brand, will not cost more than 500, that's my decision

That might be easier said than done no matter who you're buying it from... once prices go up, they seldom come down. As people demand more and more things be squeezed into each box, the $500 price point becomes more and more of an endangered species...

The footprint really isn't much of an issue...slightly bigger than the POD, but after a day or two, it won't bother you. And while you might not "need" the scribble strips, per se...they are quite useful. No guesswork, you know exactly what you've assigned to a given footswitch. I'm old...I don't wanna have to remember where I put the delay, or which snapshot is which, lol. No need for adhesive labels, or those clumsy magnet labels that I've seen hawked for the POD.

ah yea, help me rationalize this lol!

...I played with one at Line 6 HQ just after release...My debate is more about the Rack vs the LT at the point....I do not like tone on the floor and much prefer a dumb controller (remember the RP-1?)...The Helix Rack and FC seems a bit big...anyhoo, decisions...

ah yea, help me rationalize this lol!

...I played with one at Line 6 HQ just after release...My debate is more about the Rack vs the LT at the point....I do not like tone on the floor and much prefer a dumb controller (remember the RP-1?)...The Helix Rack and FC seems a bit big...anyhoo, decisions...

I dragged racks, power amps, and cabinets around for more than 2 decades...I'm done with that, lol. Besides, live I run an L2T as a monitor, and straight to FOH...where am I gonna put a rack unit? In a box on the floor...that being the case, may as well have everything self-contained. At home it all goes through a laptop and studio monitors, and I use HD Edit...I almost never touch anything on the unit itself that isn't a footswitch or the expression pedal.

Right on...mine will be used more often in live environments and beer and other unknown liquids always ends up in the pedal at some point...LT looks like it would take a bit more that...Helix rack, I would not have to worry about it, but it's just too damn big I think...

Quote:

"Still self-debating which model it will be, but now I'm biased to the LT, as it seems the most direct replacement to the basic HD500 functionallity".

Too much self-debating will make you go blind.  I try to not self-debate more than once a day, usually in the shower.

• Upvote 1

Yeah.. I had the money for the LT, but a guy offered me a 2 months used Floor for just a little more, so...

At the same time, I losed the opportunity to get a Helix Rack + Controller for even a better compared price, but I was afraid that I could be too tempted to give it a home-only use. I really like the aestetics of the rack+controller format, but I suspect it is not very practical to grab & go. Having to carry too many devices too often can make you lazy.

The LT could have covered my basic needs, but well ... Actually those scribble trips are a kind of hallmark in the Helix line, right?

Anyway... One day to go! :lol:

Yeah.. I had the money for the LT, but a guy offered me a 2 months used Floor for just a little more, so...

At the same time, I losed the opportunity to get a Helix Rack + Controller for even a better compared price, but I was afraid that I could be too tempted to give it a home-only use. I really like the aestetics of the rack+controller format, but I suspect it is not very practical to grab & go. Having to carry too many devices too often can make you lazy.

1 day to go! :lol:

You won't be disappointed... the POD served me well for a number of years, but Helix is a whole other world. As for the floor unit vs. rack... the floor is as simple as it gets. If it's a gig that I know has decent stage monitors, I show up with just the Helix, and a couple of guitars... don't even bother with my L2T half the time. No more 45 minute load-in and set-up with rack cases, power amp, cabinet, etc. Guitar into Helix, XLR to the board, done.

The LT could have covered my basic needs, but well ... Actually those scribble trips are a kind of hallmark in the Helix line, right?

Anyway... One day to go! :lol:

I am still mulling it over...Rack is out for me...LT has exactly the IO I need and I really like the smaller form factor....But damn those strips are so damn cool....congrats! I know you will love it!